What era the U.S.S. Discovery NCC-1031 will be from?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Jul 24, 2016.

?

What era will the new ship be from

1. Post-2160 / aka Post Enterprise NX-01

33.8%
  2. Post-2233 / aka Post USS Kelvin NCC-0514

30.0%
  3. Post-2265 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (TOS)

9.2%
  4. Post-2273 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (refit)

10.8%
  5. Post-2293 / aka Post USS Excelsior NCC-2000

1.5%
  6. Post-2344 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Post- 2364 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Post-2378 / aka Post USS Voyager NCC-74656

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

You "hope it crashes and burns" "if it looks like 1960's or 1970's"? Without having seen any footage and without knowing anything about the story and characters? That's a really healthy and mature attitude for a fan to have! :rolleyes:

2. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

Yep, I need not see any. Its a pure up rejection of reality to make it look like that.You can dislike my attitude all you like, that will not change it. The thing I most hate about any of the series is their treating the past as it looked like a 1960's TV show.

3. m.lp.ql.m

m.lp.ql.m Commander Red Shirt

Yes! Please, please, please, let this be like a Gerry Anderson production and have something blowing up every episode. Maybe we could even make Frakes' Thunderbirds movie canon.

4. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I've got it. Subtract the ships registry from 2017 (premier) and you get 986. The show will take place 320 years now.

5. Trek16

Trek16 Lieutenant Red Shirt

well Fuller said
    "will be set in the Prime Universe, 10 years pre-Kirk, before his 5-year mission."

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Trek16 likes this.
  7. Go-Captain

Go-Captain Captain Captain

I just read that too.
    I'm disappointed only in that the details of the Discovery really do say TMP era to me far more than they say pre-TOS. They could at least give it a seamless hull like the physical Enterprise model, or weapons and sensors which play off the TOS elements more than the movie elements.

Maybe they will since the model is a work in progress as of the video we saw.

Trek16 likes this.
  8. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

So it's gonna be set in 2255. I knew it! The first time I saw the teaser I knew it was gonna be pre-TOS! I love it!

Here is what happened in 2255:
    According to the Star Trek Chronology, Kirk Prime would have been stationed on the USS Farragut during his mission to Tyree's planet.

source: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/2255

DaddlerTheDalek, m.lp.ql.m and Trek16 like this.
  9. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

I can't say I am not disappointed.

10. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

STAR TREK '77

mos6507 and m.lp.ql.m like this.
  11. m.lp.ql.m

m.lp.ql.m Commander Red Shirt

Starring Leslie Neilsen and George Kennedy!

12. eyeresist

Do you like space gladiator movies?

13. eyeresist

SPACE STATION BETA - a classic 70s sci-fi show that never was:

Mytran likes this.
  14. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It might be OK, if this is the first chapter of a multi period anthology series.

But I do wish Star Trek would stop retreading old ground

jaime likes this.
  15. Go-Captain

I wouldn't call this old ground any more than Enterprise. Enterprise's old ground problem are the stories and themes it retreads which TNG and Voyager had already done. 2255 is an almost completely unknown period like 2150 outside of certain flanking events.

Perhaps the bigger issue is that little name drops, equivilant to Obi Won in Ep 6 saying he fought with Luke's father in the Clone Wars, are more interesting when not fleshed out despite the clamor of fans to know more about those tidbits. What they are really there for is to fill out the universe and create an impression of history, in order to make the current story more engrossing. Fortunately we still have a 100 year period, which is pretty good fodder of everything after Enterprise up to the current story. We also have the next few centuries to drop hints for.

Forward hinting tidbits can be a mixed bag. I don't know why but I have the impression forward hinting to why future events we know happened is less interesting than hinting past ward to how things are now. Perhaps it is because those future events already have lots of detail, so the tidbit about why they happened has impact. Perhaps it is like watching Enterprise chronologically and seeing explanation for Klingon foreheads before watching the chronologically later episodes. There is no mystery that way, the world building, accident, has no allure in that sequence.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Don't worry, indications this week are that this won't be much like any of the old Trek shows.

That's a good thing.

Mytran likes this.
  17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There may even be >>>GASP<<< cussing!

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  18. Go-Captain

I hope they don't curse. When ever they do it in the TNG movies it always comes off as very awkward. Besides, it messes with my impression that they are people who just don't need to curse.

19. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

As a Scotsman, not cursing messes with my impression that they're real people.

Into Darkness was great for adding 'shit' into a scene. Kirk's reaction to Spock in 2009 was a little off, not for the word, but the performance, which mirrored the Data line. But when Carol Marcus is seconds away from blowing up? Perfect moment.

I have met and known many high profile professionals, extremely intelligent people and I myself have a vast vocabulary (to the point where, despite not being it in the slightest, I'm often seen as the posh one in a group - if far from the most intelligent), and all of us utilise the fine art of casual F Bombs. Which aren't really bombs. More light taps on the shoulder. I'm sure it won't make anyone less civilised to slip out a 'naughty' word.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  20. Go-Captain

It's not a matter of civility, it's just a quality they've acquired. Besides, I'm thinking more of Data and how silly he comes off saying shit, because it is so self consciously edgy.

That being said, I think there is cursing in Star Trek Beyond, and it barely registered. It was done in a far more natural manner, not for shock value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.