What era the U.S.S. Discovery NCC-1031 will be from?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Jul 24, 2016.

?

What era will the new ship be from

1. Post-2160 / aka Post Enterprise NX-01

33.8%
  2. Post-2233 / aka Post USS Kelvin NCC-0514

30.0%
  3. Post-2265 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (TOS)

9.2%
  4. Post-2273 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (refit)

10.8%
  5. Post-2293 / aka Post USS Excelsior NCC-2000

1.5%
  6. Post-2344 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Post- 2364 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Post-2378 / aka Post USS Voyager NCC-74656

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Post-2160 / aka Post Enterprise NX-01

In other words, after these....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post-2233 / aka Post USS Kelvin NCC-0514

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post-2265 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (TOS)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post-2273 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (refit)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post-2293 / aka Post USS Excelsior NCC-2000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post-2344 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C

In other words, after this....

[​IMG]

Post- 2364 / aka Post USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post-2378 / aka Post USS Voyager NCC-74656

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I picked post-2233 because the Kelvin and her contemporaries seemed quite old already, and probably were built in the 2190-2200 period. So after them, but not by much. Maybe 2220-2230.

INACTIVEUSS Einstein likes this.
  3. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Pre TOS unless we want to think the Discovery is an old ship during the show.

4. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

@Nightowl1701 & @ancient :

Yeah, that's what I went with as well - however, the biggest "hole" in design history is between the Enterprise NX-01 and the USS Kelvin NCC-0514 - a full 90 years - so it would fit well there too.

EDIT - for visual reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    SpaceLama likes this.
  5. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

My first thought after the announcement was a post-TOS series, mostly because of the hints of the early-TMP design elements in the new ship. The registry number suggests the ship could be pre-TOS or even during, though I feel like it could be an older ship the new crew will be working on.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I have no idea. I guess we'll wait and see.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  7. O'Malley the Alley Cat

O'Malley the Alley Cat Cadet Newbie

If I had to guess I'd say post-TOS, because the design of Discovery looks remarkably similar to some of the early concept art for TMP, like this one here: [​IMG]
    But it could be any era really, and as has already been suggested, Discovery could be an older ship in service, just like how the Excelsior-class remained in service for at least eighty years in the TNG timeline.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  8. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

See I keep thinking this too, but now we have these really small, yet tantalising details, I keep thinking about it.

Bloody Fuller trolling us.

9. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

I feel fairly confident it isn't designed to be from post-Voyager post-Nemesis at the very least.

They seem to have gone deliberately retro with it, using the MacQuarrie designs as inspiration.

10. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

Based on available evidence my gut tells me it's post-TOS and intended to be an experimental design during the era that TMP Constitution refits were in the planning stages. I can't help but wonder if there's going to be a significant twist though, such as characters from a later era are using Discovery because of special circumstances. Like it's a mothballed prototype with unusual systems, or an old ship kept in reserve somewhere such as an asteroid vault.

11. SpaceLama

SpaceLama Commander Red Shirt

At first I was a little apprehensive, but I'm digging the design. The concept art RAMA posted a while back was also awesome, but we have to remember, we have been waiting for new Star Trek TV from 10 years now (!!!!), and it was always inevitable that they would come up with something a bit different, like the Destiny from Stargate Universe - there was always a strong chance they would go for a retro ship, because pre-TOS and post-TOS were always likely contenders.

[​IMG]

12. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

I guess Post-2233 / aka Post USS Kelvin NCC-051, because the concept design of the USS Discovery looks rather old.

13. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

You know how every era of Star Trek has it's own unique "feel", like with the language in TOS, coming straight out of the WW2/Cold War US Navy (ship names like Exeter, Yorktown, Enterprise, Lexington), giving that really classic feeling...

[​IMG]

I'm getting a good feeling about this design; it screams retro, like something from one of Star Trek's missing eras - either pre-TOS or pre-TMP or just after TMP. The 70s/80s design, and heavy functional look is an excellent contrast to how ships were starting to look too organic and sculpted and less functional post-DS9. It is closer to being something NASA would construct. It even bears the name of a Space Shuttle, and the ship from 2001 - Discovery.

[​IMG]

I remember playing the game Star Trek: Judgement Rites, there is an amazing section where you visit a museum full of old Starfleet and Merchant Fleet relics. Old computer consoles, phaser banks that are no longer used, ancient space suits from the beginning of interstellar flight, pieces of old cargo vessels. It really gave an amazing historical feel to the period before TOS. One of the item descriptions was for a phaser cannon, which had been used "on the frontier past Nellapour", giving this worldbuilding feel of the Federation's frontiers being on isolated outposts hanging out there in space. Another talked about an old cargo run that freighters used to do, which fits well with what we saw of the Earth Cargo Service in ENT. Another describes a famous EVA mission in which an astronaut saved the freighter SS Commonwealth from destruction above Mars. I'm getting this kind of feel from this retro ship, even just looking at it; it fits well into those lost eras of Starfleet - you can perfectly imagine it coming from a time when the UFP was younger.

14. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect the era this ship is going to be operating in is the distant past.

Remember the strange Klingon ship design concept art? ;)

15. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

I voted option 2, thought it could be 1.

I'm also thinking it *could* be about a post-Voyager ship that's on some quest to find the original Discovery that's been missing for over a century, and it needs to be found for some reason.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went with post-Voyager.
    I think the design has a lot more elements that remind me of the 24th century series than the 23rd century stuff.

17. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Her registry will put her being commission around 2210 or 2211.
    What time period the series will place in? It will be betwen 2210 to 2390.

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a post-ENT/pre-TOS ship brought out of storage to work in a post-VOY era.

Koo likes this.
  19. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

The ship itself looks like it's from the early days of the Federation. Don't have a clue when the show will be set.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

IIn some ways it looks Lost Years--pre TMP post TOS to me.

The design makes sense. You could place a lot of weapon ports along the secondary hulls cutwater. The angled design allow a lot of FP FS and FF positions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.