What do you think became of the Fenris Rangers by the 32nd century?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by FederationHistorian, Jan 24, 2023 at 11:18 AM.

1. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On one hand, I do not think the Fenris Rangers would be needed after reunification. Although what exactly happened with the worlds in the former Romulan Neutral Zone are nebulous, the Romulan Free State would have been absorbed into the Federation as territory controlled by Ni’Var, and it only would have been a matter of time before the worlds on the Romulan Neutral Zone would become a part of the Federation. But at the same time, with the Burn occurring, it seems like the Fenris Rangers would have a purpose again and return in some capacity, possibly to fend off the Emerald Chain in the absence of the Federation. But we never hear anything about them at all even in passing. Not like with the Gorn, the Borg, the Q Continuum, and the Klingons. Not even as a source of inspiration of a successor organization.

There is also the fact that Freecloud – where they stored their money – doesn’t appear on the star charts of the 32nd century. It’s supposed to be in the Alpha Doradus system in the Iconia sector. Several other systems are shown, ranging from Rator (a system formerly under the control of the Romulan Star Empire) to the Kazon Clan Forum. Did something happen to Freecloud, or does it just not appear on the star charts?

2. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reaon Freecloud doesn't show up on the star charts is because the effects team use the maps from the Star Trek: Star Charts book as a guide when creating the maps used in the show. Star Charts was printed twenty years ago long before Freecloud was even thought of.

The Wormhole likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The specific injustices the Fenris Rangers were up against likely no longer exist, but with the Federation being fractured by the Burn I'm sure there's all kinds of similar groups doing similar stuff.

Lord Garth likes this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably doomed to oblivion.

5. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Stealer of all the cookies in time and space Premium Member

I love Osyraa when she rants "There's capitalism going on Starbase 253" as if that is a drama issue

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As fascinating as that is, I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic of this thread.

7. Gingerbread Demon

I mean the future sounds so boring if that was a big issue even for the bad guys. I'd like to think the Fenris Rangers are still around in some form or another.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why though? They were organized to address a specific need. The need is gone now.

9. Gingerbread Demon

Yes but then other things might have sprung up that they could have helped with, just saying

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would reasonably expect that if there was another similar need the Rangers would be folded in with the appropriate agency. They rose to deal with one issue.