What did you think of the... er.. homage scene? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by hiddenderek, May 18, 2013.

1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It made me laugh. That and the whole Kirk dying scene really reminded me of why I have hated the idea of them rehashing old stories since someone first proposed they would years ago.

Having seen TWOK I've been there seen that, already felt those emotions so it was a meh moment for me. But yeah, it wasn't made for longtime fans so congratulations newbies, hope it worked as intended for you. :bolian:

However the following scenes of Spock chasing down Khan, getting his ass handed to him and Uhura's eventual charge to his rescue redeemed the ending for me.

2. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Definition of iconic:
    Of, relating to, or having the characters of:
    An image; a representation
    An important and enduring symbol
    One who is the object of great attention and devotion

Spock's death scene in ST:II definitely as an image, and also a representation of friendship. It's enduring exactly because it is still familiar to a lot of people 30 years later. The fact that we "like it a lot" is just another way of saying we give it a lot of attention and devotion.

I think "it's familiar and we like it a lot" is a very passable definition for "iconic" in current English.

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sarek to Spock: "Emotions run deep within our race. In many ways more deeply than in humans. Logic offers a serenity humans seldom experience. The control of feelings so that they do not control you."

Since the loss of Spock's mother, planet, Pike and more... Spock has been holding back those emotions. He admits this in the shuttle to Uhura as they are heading to Klingon homeworld surface. At some point Spock will hit the breaking point where all those deep emotions must surface, in this case the death of Kirk.

I lost my dad February 18, 2011. I held it together because while everyone else was grieving: I made his final arrangements; kept my stepmom together; dealt with the hospital, funeral home, finances, etc. I was "emotionally compromised" and, eventually, after everything was done I broke down and cried uncontrollably.

We all reach that point eventually... as did Spock when he cried for Kirk and screamed, "Khan!" This time around, I felt the emotion much more deeply than TWOK (heresy, though that may be to some). It did not seem nearly as contrived as it did in TWOK, the emotional build-up was there. The plot prepared us for it, as I mentioned above.

I saw the movie today in 3D with my brother. Tonight, we discussed it in more detail. He only saw TWOK once quite a while ago and only vaguely remembered the scene, but also thought it was better done this time. He's not even a Trekkie!

No one in our theater laughed nor even scoffed at the scene today. The family seated in front of us commented afterward that it was done better this time around. My brother was heard to say, "If they keep making movies like this, I'll have to become a Trekkie!" (He tortured me for years about liking Trek.)

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I see what you're saying. I've had to deal with the same kind of grief when my dad died too, and it's something I would not wish on anyone. It never really leaves you. You just learn how to adjust. Having said this, Spock and his grief and its effects on him really, really wasn't handled well here. Not.At.All.

The 2009 movie handled it perfectly for Spock. I had hoped this film would have built on that, but as it's been said, they decided to "move in another direction."

5. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Interestingly enough, one of the central messages of TWOK was "How we deal with death is at least as important as we deal with life," and yet that quote never made it into STiD, and STiD managed to address it just as adroitly as TWOK did.

6. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This. I really enjoyed seeing key moments play out in the alternate timeline in their slightly-off ways.

7. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Exactly.

Besides, they were adversarial, but I don't see that making the bond any less significant. Also, as someone has put earlier, the entire film has this family-friendship arc going on, leading inevitably to this scene. It wasn't just thrown in there out of nowhere.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that's why it is so wonderfully TOS.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Okay, I can see how that works. It's just another one of those words whose meaning is modified by culture over time, then. :)

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Indeed. It makes me wonder what people who say this isn't Star Trek think really is Star Trek.

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Because some people don't like change, especially when it's something they love and hold dear. That's not intended as an insult, though, should any of those people be reading this. Star Trek is a warm comforter for some, with fond memories ingrained in it's pattern. Changing the pattern of that cloth may be enough to distress them.

12. teacake

But it's not like the old cloth is burned up.

13. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I just saw the movie yesterday. Overall I liked it, but I did cringe at the Spock "Kaaaaaahn" yell. For me personally, it felt a little tacky. Plus that was done so perfectly by Shatner in TWOK, its become iconic and should have not been attempted to recreate.

I'm sure the writers could have come up with something else dramatic that could have made an iconic moment for Quinto.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  14. abaldwin360

abaldwin360 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I did the same, except I read the spoilers on purpose ("spoilers" never bothered me much).

I watched TWOK just a few weeks before ID came out, and it wasn't a word for word rehash (which is what I was expecting).

Scotty's line "You better get down here, fast." was directly lifted. The rest was paraphrased. The scene was very similar, but not directly lifted.

Which brings me to another issues I've had with the more negative reviews of the movie.

I've seen several people say that this movie was a rehash or ripoff of TWOK. It felt more like a different take on "Space Seed" to me with one scene that was a callback to TWOK.

I mean, if someone doesn't like the movie, fine, different strokes for different folks. But the entire movie wasn't a rehash of TWOK.

15. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My feeling as well...“What would you do for your family or your friends?” Would you bend the rules/regulations for a friend (Kirk), murder to preserve your “family” (Khan) or a commit a terrorist act as a trade for saving your daughter’s life (Harewood)?

16. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

^This. We see that they are friends in the very first scene in the movie when Kirk refuses to let Spock die and loses his job. Spock even defends Kirk's actions and tries to take the blame himself in Pike's office. And even though Kirk gets upset with Spock for filing the report, he still tells him that he will miss him. This all happens at the beginning to establish that they have become good friends. The movie then becomes a journey for the two of them. And really, in real life, people are bonded by shared experiences, and the two of them have already gone through enough onscreen and off to establish that they are, indeed, friends. They have such a relationship that they have to trust each other's abilities and opinions. If they didn't, they could never work together as Captain and First Officer.

17. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

"There is a theory. There could be some logic to the belief that time is fluid, like a river, with currents, eddies, backwash." - Spock, The City on the Edge of Forever

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved the homage scene. I teared up just as I did in TWOK. Spcok yelling Khan was way better than shatner's over the top non-sensical scream. I've always hated that so I was glad to see Quinto blow that away.

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I guess we're all different. For me, it was the most out of character and illogical thing I've ever seen from Spock. The majority of that scene was mind-numbingly bad.

20. teacake

Watch it a second time. I thought it was utter face palm the first time, the second time I forgave it, the third time I liked it and the fourth time I started crying.

My god I sound like I'm in a cult.