What can the Star Trek movies learn from the recent Star Wars films?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Jan 18, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I disagree. I think Luke grows, willing to accept his failure and face it. That it was an astral projection takes nothing away from the learning.

Also, Luke has a great moment in Rise of Skywalker.

Ovation and DonIago like this.
  2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

To me the thing that they most can learn, and perhaps should have learned from TWOK through TVH, is that if you want to write a trilogy of films, then write a trilogy of films that will have narrative cohesion from beginning to end.

If you're not willing to do that, then have a hard rule where later installments are required to push through the developments in the earlier ones, rather than ignoring or resetting them and making it readily apparent just how little advance planning there was.

Hell, in retrospect it's perhaps a miracle that TWOK through TVH work as well as they do.

Armus and Smellmet like this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Yup. By all accounts it really shouldn't have, going from Meyer and then to Nimoy, with Spock's fate being in doubt at the end of TWOK.

DonIago likes this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That "Genesis Trilogy" of TWOK through TVH is one of the most underrated elements of the entire franchise, and maybe even in sci-fi genre films on the whole. It was a great cohesive story, it had significant arcs for the characters, had tons of appropriate tonal variance, was loyal to the source material, and still brought a fresh perspective on the franchise and "universe."

saddestmoon, Jadeb, Lance and 5 others like this.
  5. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

He sacrificed his life so the rebellion could live on. Sounds like as good an end for a hero as any.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

The TOS-based films made it up as they went along, movie by movie. There was no plan.

Seems like the best approach.

Ovation likes this.
  7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the TOS films got lucky.

TNG didn't repeat their success.

8. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Lesson from Star Wars? Don't try to dial back from a good film just because the worst fans hated it.