What are your thoughts about seeing the prime universe again?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by The Rock, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

I haven't watched Hannibal, but its ratings at least didn't look good. It was cancelled after three seasons, overall only 39 episodes, after the ratings fell to below 1 million viewers. I surely hope DIS will be more successful than this!

When I also look at other shows, he created or developed, they didn't even last as long as Hannibal. After a few measly episodes they were cancelled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Fuller

Dead Like Me - 29 episodes (Fuller left though after 14 episodes already)
    Wonderfalls - 13 episodes
    Pushing Daisies - 22 episodes

So far he hasn't show yet, that he can make a series last.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Heck, even if it gets cancelled after the first season, we got 13 new Star Trek episodes that we wouldn't have gotten before. So it's win-win for us.

And remember, this is Star Trek. Even at it's worst, it still has more staying power than some new show that nobody knows anything about.

Kytee likes this.
  3. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Hurt pride it is then.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

A. I edited my post before you quoted me.

B. Please don't presume to think for me. You're very bad at it.

5. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

If the show gets cancelled after 13 episodes, it is definitely not a win-win for us. It likely would prevent for who knows how many years another attempt at a new Star Trek series. And it likely would also lower the chances of other space operas getting created for TV or streaming. Then people who make such decisions will argue, if even a new Star Trek series can't attract enough viewers, there is no chance that another series with a lot of space ships could be successful.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Fixed that for you, and my goodness yes, Voyager was bad.

7. Captain of the USS Averof

I've posted my answer before your edit. Since you've edited your post no harm no foul.

I don't presume to think for you. My initial post wasn't even about you!

8. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually there's wiggle room. One that even explains the deflector. Despite being 10 years pre Kirk, the enterprise herself was what... 20 years old? When Kirk took command. So it has to look like TOS about as much as Voyager looked like TNG, give or take. I would expect it to look like the motion picture era, with the uniforms and basic Tech being wholly original but resembling TOS tech. And resembling is a wide gamut.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Go back and read post #43.

10. Captain of the USS Averof

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture" takes place five years after the "The Original Series: Season 3". Not 10 years, not 100 years but FIVE YEARS! Yet it doesn't look anything at all like TOS! Does that mean that TMP doesn't adhere strictly to the canon of TOS, because it doesn't look exactly or pretty similar to TOS? Are we to assume that it takes place in yet another Universe but the Prime?

11. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh oh. Once people start attacking that sentence, my lengthy essays talking about TMP will begin. Then we are doomed. TMP is Art damnit. If Discovery has half as much effort into it it will be amazing.

12. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Framing things as historical interpretations and dramatizations of events is always a good rationalization of real-world differences, continuity issues, and mistakes in efforts of fiction.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Prime timeline in name only. They are already changing the look, I have no doubt other things that contradict what came before will be plentiful.

But people can dance, because Fuller stroked their ego. Let's see how much they think it is "Prime" when all is said and done.

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Yes. I guarantee there will be stuff that would contradict earlier shows.

We will be seeing threads/posts like the following... "Oh, come on, the Klingons shouldn't be like that in the 2350s. Look at the foreheads! No way Kirk knew about the Betazoids...DUH!".

15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

What do you mean? They are all historical documents. They are!

16. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Well at least you're doing the Gaddafi Dance to take a big step back to draw a new line in the sand. Redraw it as many times as you like.

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm always up for a reboot.

As Kurtzman, the guy in charge has said, first they had to redefine Trek for the movies and now they'll do it for TV. :tech man:

Ovation likes this.
  18. Captain of the USS Averof

Discovery is set in the Prime Universe. Period. Whether it will look like 60's TOS or be as/more/less faithful to TOS (as ENT was/wasn't) is another issue altogether.

As for egos, the only ones I see are the hurt ones who wished for "other than in the comics and novels, yeah, [Prime Universe] it's pretty much dead and will probably stay that way".

jaime likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

In TMP, the exact same actors reprised their roles from TOS. The film painstakingly went out of its way to explain why things looked different. I don't see lengthy explanations for any differences in DIS, nor are there going to be cameos from anyone in TOS except perhaps the nuUniverse actors as the prime universe crew. But I could be wrong.

For the second time, do you believe everything you are told?

You keep saying this. Please by all means quote some people here who have said that their egos are hurt, because I don't see any.

20. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Strange how the stuff only hardcore trekkies bother with isn't canon, yet the dumbed down mainstream populist bits are.

I actually don't care whether its in the prime universe per se, just so long as it isn't in the Kelvin verse...