What are your thoughts about seeing the prime universe again?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by The Rock, Sep 4, 2016.

1. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I believed that Prime would be the likely choice because of the practical separation between Paramount (movies in the Abramsverse) and CBS (TV in Prime), and I said so to some denigration from the nu crowd. Turns out I was right.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I didn't think the prime timeline would come back. I actually still think it won't, because I firmly believe Fuller's "prime universe" talk is just a lot of lip service, and all they really cared about was not stepping on the Abramsverse movie universe's toes, not that they had a particular affinity for the prime universe. I'm sure it will look nothing like TOS.

But that wouldn't have mattered. If CBS wanted to do a show set in the Abramsverse, they could damn well do it, since they own Trek in its entirety.

Stevil2001 likes this.
  3. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Only TOS (and maybe TAS) looks like TOS. That doesn't make TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT something other than Prime Universe.

Mr. Laser Beam, Galekarens and Rahul like this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

DIS takes place ten years before TOS. Those other shows took place either 100 years before or 100 years after TOS. So if you're going to make a show that adheres strictly to the canon of TOS, then I would expect it to look exactly or pretty similar to TOS. And I don't believe it will. But we'll see.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It won't, and they've said it won't.

6. Captain of the USS Averof

But it's Prime, and they've said it's Prime. ;)

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Do you believe everything you're told?

8. Captain of the USS Averof

There. I fixed it for you. :lol:

uniderth likes this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yet you still didn't answer the question.

10. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Each and every Star Trek series looks a lot lot different.

Deep Space Nine theoretically takes place at the same time as The Next Generation and the TNG movies, yet looks and feels nothing like it. I don't care if Discovery looks like TOS, if they get the level of technology right. And that's very broad. They can pretty much do whatever they want, only grossly incompetent stuff like them doing hyper-jumps or beaming between different star systems would breake the illusion... but nobody would make something that stupid, right...?
    Enterprise already looked a lot more advanced than TOS, but (IMO) firmly established itself as a proper prequel, especially during it's last seasons. And Fuller probably as a much tighter vision, and as people who have watched "Hannibal" told me he's quite capable of doing a "direct prequel to something popular", so I trust him in this regard. The setting will not be the problem of Discovery, everything depends on the quality of the stories and how All Access will do.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That's only because it took place on a Bajoran space station instead of a starship. Other than that, I never once felt that I was watching a show that wasn't taking place in the same universe as TNG.

12. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

In recent comments by Fuller, he said something like the concept he had for the series could have worked in either timeline and they could have used either timeline. They chose the Prime because there is stuff to play with, but it sounds like the series initially will play with it very little.

Also Meyer said he like how Fuller found a spot in history where they could tell their story without dealing with the rest continuity or something like that. That kind of reinforces that interaction with the prime continuity is not a priority at this time.

Trekyards let a tiny little something slip (after admitting they have info they can't yet divulge) about how the Discovery ship is much older than the constitution class which is out there and more advanced. If true then it further points to a show that might deal with more of a fringe mission, and that we probably won't see the Discovery parked next to the Enterprise anytime soon.
    TNG isolated itself in the first couple years too, but then embraced all continuity down the road.

13. Rahul

Oh, hell. Everything is different between TNG and DS9, from the universe, to the technology shown, to how basically the whole everything works. The large fleets regularly seen in DS9 would be totally out of place in TNG, where starfleet was a lot smaller but more efficient (ships having shields et al.). Also, the Dominion war was pretty much ignored in all Trek at the same time, with only marginal lip-service in VOY or the TNG movies, which basically all operated under the assumption it's just a small scuffle, whereas in DS9 itself it was pushed as being the single most important war of the galaxy. We had millions of soldiers under the commando of a Captain (Sisko), wheras the flagship Enterprise never took part in it? And all of Earth and Federation personal in the other series at the same time pretty much ignored it as a non-event?

That can take you much more out of a show than some small inconsistencies between ENT and TOS...

(No critizism to DS9, just to show you how that wouldn't be the first time)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  14. Captain of the USS Averof

You can make a case for each and every Trek series being on a different (parallel) universe than everything else. That's just cherry picking. And it doesn't make it true.

15. Rahul

Maybe the event in Discovery alluded by Fuller it the temporal cold war? That way they can explain a LOT of small unimportant changes to canon? :lol:

16. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

LOL. People would shit cement.

17. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

It could be prime but in that kelvin style, folks. Which might worse for people who favour prime than if it was set in the kelvin-verse outright.

That it has been announced that it will be in prime is one of these signals from the series creators that I personally like. But what universe it is or isn't in, isn't my polestar in judging this series at the end of the day.

18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I, for one, would LOVE it. And not just because of the...intense...reactions it would provoke in some circles (but mostly because of that). :lol:

19. Captain of the USS Averof

Looking back at some of the posts on this thread I couldn't be more correct. Some still won't let it go and admit that they were wrong! Hurt pride or confirmation bias?

It would have been hilarious if they did the opposite. Announce "Kelvin" but make it in "Prime" TOS style. I mean the whole series in "Trials and Tribble-ations"/"In a Mirror, Darkly" bright colors! If we're having fun now, imagine how hysterical that would have been!

Terok Nor likes this.
  20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but you're really reaching here. What we saw in DS9 was just a logical extrapolation of what we didn't see in TNG because of budgetary restrictions. So what that we saw large fleets in DS9? Does that mean that they didn't exist in TNG? Of course not. But there wasn't either the budget or the need story-wise to show something like that in TNG. That doesn't mean that it takes place in a different universe! And the Dominion War? What other Trek was there during that? VOY? That took place in another part of the galaxy, so the Dominion War would have had nothing to do with that anyway. The TNG movies? They were their own self-contained stories that had nothing to do with the war even though they were indeed alluded to. Does that mean that they also took place in an alternate universe from DS9? Er, no.

I don't know what post you're reading, but nobody is saying anything of the sort.