What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Captain Captain

I love that idea! Maybe the idea of the Romulan appearance was that by this century, the Romulans have joined the Federation and are integrated enough to represent it in holo-form. In any case, that concept sounds light-years more interesting than Zora.

FredH likes this.
  2. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

... so the fact that Vulcan was under the control of a military dictatorship seventy-five years before he was even born means that he's not allowed to advocate for peace and logic? Spain was under the control of a fascist dictatorship until 47 years ago -- are Spaniards not allowed to advocate for democracy?

Well, no. The TOS films made it clear that Spock has rejected the Vulcan belief in complete eradication of one's emotions; he is not a Kohlinar-ist, so to speak. As he said to Valeris in TUC: "Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end." TNG "Unification II" made it clear that he is spreading some of Vulcan teachings as part of a movement to reject Romulan chauvinism and militarism, but that doesn't mean he's advocating for Romulans to reject their culture and adopt Vulcan culture entirely. It seems to me, based on his arc in the TOS movies, his line in TUC, and his lines in "Unification II," that Spock is advocating for a middle path between Vulcan and Romulan cultures.

No, that's Captain Sisko. ;) It was DIS's "Unification III" that established that Spock was the leader whose advocacy did the most to ensure the reunification of Vulcan and Romulan cultures and the migration of the Romulans back to Vulcan/Ni'Var. But "Unification III" also made it clear that neither Vulcans nor Romulans had abandoned their respective cultures; both were changed by the presence of the other, and there are tensions, but they're also making this new joint project that is Ni'Var work.

Anyway, SNW hasn't made him Space Jesus. It just reaffirmed what TNG "Unification II" heavily implied and DIS "Unification III" made explicit: That Spock's leadership in reuniting Vulcans and Romulans would be historically significant.

I think you're confusing Spock Prime with the Mirror Universe Spock. Spock Prime never advocated for the end of Starfleet's military defense role.

I mean, okay, but that's not an opinion about the canon, that's just you making stuff up to add to your headcanon.

Commander Troi and Richard S. Ta like this.
  3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Which ultimately is what leads to Ni'Var being possible where Vulcans and Romulans cohabit the same planet again.

I think the kernel of the idea of Vulcans and Romulans being able to come together and see each other as people goes back to "The Enterprise Incident". Even though Spock was on a spy mission, it seems like there was something there between him and the Romulan Commander. She was legitimately hurt when she found out Spock wasn't going to surrender the Enterprise to the Romulans and that he knew Kirk had infiltrated their ship. Spock and the Romulan Commander were both talking about how one day they hoped Vulcans and Romulans wouldn't have to be separate peoples or have to observe any restrictions with each other.

"Military Secrets are the most fleeting of all. I hope what you and I shared was something more permanent." I'm paraphrasing here but that's what was said by Spock at the end of the episode.

The idea that Vulcans and Romulans could unite again one day was there since the 1960s. The same as when in "Errand of Mercy", the Organians tell Kirk and Kor that one day the Federation and Klingons would become friends.

Commander Troi, Kor, Sci and 2 others like this.
  4. Yonder Star

Yonder Star Rear Admiral Premium Member

If the Romulan culture is based on the military duty seen in Balance of Terror, then military failure usually results in death of the commander, most likely during combat, but also by suicide as shown in the episode. I believe the fate of the Romulan Commander in The Enterprise Incident will be the same after she returns to Romulus. One good debrief, then... :weep:

Commander Troi and Qonundrum like this.
  5. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I cannot even begin to tell how disappointed I was of the 32nd century as depicted in DISC as a whole. It ended up being so pedestrian and samey. With the burn and all I had expected a lot more.

6. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Captain Captain

Aside from the wall-banging reveal about the Burn, I like the developments of the 32nd Century. I wish the show spent more time developing that, and less time on characters standing around talking about redundant sh-t.

7. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'v eonly watched a tiny bit of Supernatural, so when readying that "Baby" was an impala, I assumed it was someone's pet Aepyceros melampus. :cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impala

That shows how much I know or care about cars.

8. Holly-deck One

Holly-deck One Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not into cars myself, but Baby is very much a character on SUPERNATURAL. She is so much a part of the family that one of the main reasons season 7 is considered the weakest is because Baby was only in the first half dozen episodes and the season finale out of a 23 episode season.

In fact, the season 11 episode "BABY" was shot entirely from the perspective of her. Great episode!

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Captain Kris Kringle Pike Fleet Admiral Admiral

I own an Impala. That's about the extent of my knowledge or care.
    I still don't treat starships as characters. And I still know nothing about Supernatural.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  10. Toril Toran

Toril Toran Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have to say I enjoyed the TNG movies.
    The J.J Abraham's movies were entertaining, but I don't really consider them "cannon". It wasn't really in the spirit of TOS.
    If Spock can change the timeline, can someone (please) change it back?
    Go back and save the Romulans (like the Federation should have done) and therefore make it unnecessary for Spock to use the red matter?
    What the Hell is red matter anyway? Where did Spock or the Federation get it? Do the Romulans or Klingons know about it?

somebuddyX and WarpTenLizard like this.
  11. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

It's a parallel branch,.

12. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) If You Want it Premium Member

Abrams
    Canon
    In what way?
    Timeline wasn't changed. A new branch of the Prime timeline was created. The Prime timeline is still chugging along.
    A plot device to create a alternate timeline and to provide a threat for our heroes to counter.

Probably Vulcan.

The Romulans must have. And I'm sure the Klingons observed it's deployment. But alas, too late to save Romulus.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    Kor and 1001001 like this.
  13. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Great work!

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Temporal Prime Directive, and all that.

Plus, the lead-up to and demise of Romulus led to the Picard series. Which gave the (surviving) Romulans some much-needed variety in hair styles.

15. Bad Father Christmas

Bad Father Christmas I Am Not A Merry Man! Moderator

16. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, in Final Fantasy Red Mages can use both White and Black Mages and have nice hats. So applying the same principle Red Matter must combine the traits of Dark and uh...NotDark Matter. And wears a nice hat.
    It's opposed by Blue Matter that takes on the qualities of things it comes in contact with.

17. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

I prefer Blue Matter.

18. Cash or Credit

Cash or Credit Fleet Admiral Admiral

I prefer Avocado Matter.

19. SantaEddie74

SantaEddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I prefer Family Matters.

Did I post that?

Holly-deck One and Grendelsbayne like this.
  20. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) If You Want it Premium Member

I prefer Rebecca Mader.