What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

How exactly is Leia using the Force to telekinetically pull herself back to the ship any different from Luke using the Force to telekinetically pull a lightsaber into his hand?

And why wouldn't you want to see Leia use the Force to do something awesome like pull herself back onto a ship in her last moments of consciousness after being ejected into space? It's a chance to finally see Leia use the Force!

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, this was the first time we've seen her use Force powers on any screen unless we count her sensing that Luke made it off the second Death Star alive at the end of Episode VI. She's a Skywalker and Anakin's daughter. She SHOULD be able to do more than just fire a weapon and lead people.

3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly my point. It's the first time we see her use Force powers of any kind, at least physical manifestations of its use. She had NO training at all, but was able to pull herself from the vacuum of space back to an airlock????

Luke telekinetically grabbing a lightsaber is vastly different than moving yourself in the airless vacuum of space.

We have never seen anything like that before. It completely defied belief.

The Force is basically magic, and I can accept that, but that's a bridge too far.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek controversial opinion: if the Enterprise is a character then it can be recast by different CGI models.
    ETA: Here's a TLJ film thread for people to moan about that film some more in...

CorporalCaptain, Qonundrum and Jinn like this.
  5. Farscape One

Whoa, whoa... them's fightin' words, son.

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. fireproof78

*looks up definition of controversial* Yes...I believe that is implicit in my remarks...:vulcan:

7. Farscape One

And that IS very controversial, since our hero ships ARE characters.

I very much disagree here. When you swap out different CGI models, you change the essence and flavor of the ship. It's like changing Doctors or James Bonds... some basic traits are there, but each one is different and unique.

They therefore become different characters.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

At the risk of derailing things further, we see flashbacks to her Jedi training in Rise of the Skywalker.

Back on topic, disillusioned Picard from season one of his own show is the best version of the character.

Ianburns252 and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. fireproof78

Which is where I disagree. I don't regard ships as characters. And even if they are characters can be recast and still be in continuity.
    I'll take your word for it.

10. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I never regarded the ships as "characters" either. They are locations.

Commander Troi and fireproof78 like this.
  11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

What did I just say?

I tell people to take it to the Star Wars forum, and then right after that, you three post Star Wars content with no relation to Star Trek at all?

There is an entire forum dedicated to Star Wars. Take it there.

THE END

12. Farscape One

In much the same way Baby is a character on SUPERNATURAL (for those unaware, 'Baby' is the Impala), starships are characters. They are a part of the family.

They are not just locations. They are our traveling companions that take us to all those strange new worlds.

13. fireproof78

It's a thing. They are a vehicle to the action. They don't feel, they don't have emotions, they are not characters. Sorry, I cannot treat them as characters. Telling me that "Baby is a character" on Supernatural is meaningless. I've never watched the show, and I have less regard for cars than I do for starships as characters.

But, even so, if they are characters they can be recast. No continuity violation.

Orphalesion likes this.
  14. cooleddie74

Sybok is less morally compromised than Sarek. Sybok did take Paradise City on Nimbus III hostage and he did hijack the Enterprise-A but he didn't go along with a plan to detonate a huge bomb at the center of Qo'noS to destroy the Klingon Homeworld and thus win a war. He was a religious zealot sure of his beliefs but at the end of the day the number of innocent lives he put at risk were far fewer.

Qonundrum and Sci like this.
  15. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I disagree with that. The Starships don't have a personality or motivations, or relationships. You write this like the Enterprise or the other ships had any aspirations and opinions, but they don't.

Now there can be locations in fiction that have a lot of presence and influence on the actual characters and the plot (Gormengast, for example, or Lorien in the LOTR) but they are still not characters.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. fireproof78

Unless the alien escaped.

1001001 likes this.
  17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Yeah who knows what that alien would have done if he got out.

“Search for God, find the Devil.”

fireproof78 likes this.
  18. cooleddie74

If he was a Cytherian - and that's just theory - then he would have had at least enough power to do what the other Cytherian did to Barclay in TNG. And that was risky enough. So yeah, had he escaped things could have gotten dicey.

But at least Sybok didn't intend to harm anyone.

19. Farscape One

I disagree about Sybok and Sarek.

Sarek was faced with a decision that was based on stopping a war to save billions of lives and the Federation itself from being subjugated by the Klingons.

Sybok was on a selfish journey and essentially brainwashed people to help him release a being that most likely would have killed billions, if not the entire galaxy itself.

One was acting in defense of lives. The other was not.

20. fireproof78

Indeed. Sybok cannot be divorced from possible consequences of his choices just because he thought he was doing right. See also John Gill.

GNDN18 and Farscape One like this.