What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Or "Emergence", where the Enterprise gains sentience and creates a new life? Basically, becomes a mom.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

A mediocre episode that had no consequences and in which the Enterprise's supposed sentience was represented by multiple holodeck characters rather than just having the ship itself, y'know, be a character?

3. Farscape One

As far as I'm concerned, all the ships do have character.

4. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No real reason - I too don't see them as characters.

Just occured to me that there was a potential exception and I'm a dick who loves to find a technicality even if it goes against me

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having character and being a character are two different things.

6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

I perceived Sybok to be so sincere with his beliefs that he was up there with Anan-7, as a sympathetic villain rather than mustache-twirling cardboard cutout. Other villains will pose as goodies but are shown to be truly evil in a reveal scene, yet those two characters were never accorded such a scene and I like the idea neither of them is true evil, but doing what they think is right for the sake of it. More on that later...

Sybok picked up the knowledge somewhere. Not unlike Picard and co finding out where the planet was in "The Chase" where the figure tells everyone they all came from the same progenitor species. Heh, what if someone else found the knowledge and went to that prison planet at the galactic center first? Like the Borg, now there's a fun merging just waiting to happen...

Another unpopular opinion: It's also a good thing that Sean Connery wanted to be Indy's dad. Laurence Luckinbill pretty much steals the show, and when Sybok is confronted by the Beast that brought him there taking his visage and mocking him, that "evil acting" is phenomenal. I can't see Connery bringing the character to life in either form. (also note that the visage that the Beast took for the bulk of the scene has heterochromia (one iris darker/different color than the other...))

But Sybok is still selfish - he just wants to meet "God" -- which the Beast* definitely makes note of since he shows the countenance of Sybok and twists the emotional thumbscrews before killing him. Or Sybok once felt that spreading the information he found help the universe but got so wound up that his egoism took over, which is what the Beast thing truly wanted. Which is suitably sinister... but the beast could never be God or Satan (the earlier rough drafts were thankfully changed to make it all more vague.)

* who probably lures people to in an attempt to get a ship to escape and previous victims serf-destructed their craft. before the thing could take over

Vger23 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we are left to assume there must have been something about the Great Barrier and his prison world dampening his mental reach beyond.

It was likely the deeply passionate power of Sybok's mind searching for a response that made the connection to the godthing.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. Qonundrum

^^this, #WIN, #trrophy, #wontheinternet, etc :) :techman:

And nothing beats TMP and all those camera angles. Which reminds me of what's at the 0:19 mark:

:guffaw:

Farscape One likes this.
  9. Qonundrum

Hence written material littered about the galaxy for someone to pick up on? I'd hope the prison's barrier would prevent signals and thoughts from oozing out of it...

10. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I've had the thought that perhaps Sybok spent some time with Dr Sevrin, and there were disagreements on where the lore was leading them, hence a separation that led Sybok to the center of the galaxy, and the hippies to planet Eden.

11. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, you can't be a character without having agency, wants, desires, inner conflict, etc.

Richard S. Ta and Commander Troi like this.
  12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

All I can do now is go on tangent and think of a quote from Pulp Fiction.

"Just because you are a character doesn't mean you have character!"

Commander Troi and Farscape One like this.
  13. Farscape One

So, that eliminates half the casts of VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE.

14. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Not once when Pike was held captive did he even wonder aloud about the safety of his 430 203 people up there on the Starship Character.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Commander Troi likes this.
  15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sybok was a bastard, but he didn't conspire to commit planetary genocide and he didn't hesitate to sacrifice his life to prevent interplanetary genocide when he realized he had been deceived by an entity that was not God. That counts for something too.

16. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Yes, Zora makes Discovery a “real” character.

Might not be all that interesting, but that’s never stopped Star Trek before.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

He got the Darth Vader redemption scene.

Farscape One likes this.
  18. Lord Garth

I think of Zora as Zora, not necessarily Discovery. Discovery is like the clothing she wears, if that makes sense.

19. Lord Garth

TNG --> What my mind thinks of when I think "Star Trek 20 years ago!"
    ENT --> Actually "Star Trek 20 years ago!"

I can't believe Enterprise premiered 21 years ago today.

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It's been a long road.