What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. The biggest lesson I keep taking away from watching humans is how angry we get at unmet expectations. From food orders to other people's behaviors there's a lot of anger that goes along with it. Scotty is a man out of time, expecting rescue from his friends only to discover that many of the people he knew are probably dead, and that he has no place.

At least Scotty had the benefit of going the past before. He understands somewhat about time travel. I sure don't. I'd be cranky too.

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably the biggest problem with it. It should be the other way around, wealthy benefactors having their means of helping stolen instead of being asked for it.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I'd probably wind up in a reeducation camp somewhere.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    People in 2097: "Who are Robau and Carl Spock?"
    "Just freeze him again. Let's cut our losses."

5. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the rate technology is developing, I’d be lost and cranky if you threw me 10 years into the future, never mind 75.

Commander Troi and Farscape One like this.
  6. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure I've replied to this, but I'll answer again.
    • Saru is dull as dirt, and quite possibly the most overrated character in all of "Trek." I'm much more interested in tasting that Kelpian soup from the Mirror Universe
    • Chakotay/Seven could've been a fascinating couple, if only developed properly.
    • Regardless of who you ship, both "Resolutions" and "Natural Law" are awful episodes
    • I love both Jadzia and Ezri Dax, but Ezri was more developed in one season than Jadzia was in six.
    • Worf isn't that interesting (but christ he's better than Saru!)
    • Dr. Phlox is neither interesting nor amusing, and we really didn't need a doctor with a buttcrack on his forehead.
    • Harry Kim, Tilly, and Hoshi are all fairly likable
    • While I've nothing against Icheb, he was never an especially well developed character, and killing him as a plot device was a very understandable move.
    • I like most of the Ferengi episodes

7. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You won't make many friends with this one, but I agree and found de Boer preferable as an actress as well.

Yep. It's an easter egg that sits on two sides of a divide. To someone not in the know, it's a reason for Seven to be mad because he's a Borg. Making it Icheb deepens it for fans, but before he was killed then 99% of the people whining about Icheb did not give a fuck about Icheb.

I like most of them. I like early TNG Ferengi too and enjoyed the ENT Ferengi episode.

WarpTenLizard and Disco like this.
  8. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    I actually agree with you here.

Agreed.

Since when are Harry Kim and Hoshi unlikeable? Last I checked, there has always been an issue that they never got promoted during the entire run of their respective shows.

Yes, I agree.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Hoshi was one of the unsung characters of ENT who could have been a truly great character had she been given more to do. To be fair anyone was given more than Travis but Hoshi was seriously underserved by the writers.

Sci, Richard S. Ta and Farscape One like this.
  10. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure there are more Ezri fans on these boards than most people seem to think. I've seen quite a few come out of the woodwork in Dax specific threads. (And I am a huge one, too, btw.)

Richard S. Ta and WarpTenLizard like this.
  11. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As unlikely as it seems, Icheb actually does habe a fan-base, but I think it was formed mostly through non-canon material. Tim Russ's fan film "Rebegades," several fan-fictions, and I presume the novels, gave Icheb some of the development he lacked onscreen.

After immersing oneself in non-canon material, it might be hard to backtrack on that and remind yourself that the "Icheb" you love isn't really the Icheb of canon, and that the real thing really didn't offer the show's writers much.

I never thought of that! It makes his death even more powerful though IMO. Seven's guilt is compounded by the fact that she brought him all the way from the other side of the galaxy, only for this horrible fate. And it makes her revenge all the more satisfying.

I imagine Ezri, like the Chakotay/Seven relationship, was initially hated by viewers who had no preparation for it. People entering the Fandom after the fact would be coming from a different angle.

For me, Ezri was actually the first DS9 character I was introduced to at all. I found her character intriguing, and was surprised to learn that she only joined (har, har) in the last season. To an original viewer, she must've seemed like an abrupt replacement to a longtime favorite Jadzia.

Similarly with C7, I came to "Voyager" near the show's end, and spent much of the reruns wondering how they'd end up together. Someone watching the show from the start, and wondering when Chakotay and Janeway would finally hook up, would obviously feel differently.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  12. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Icheb was the only Delta Quadrant native to return to the Alpha Quadrant with Voyager. He deserved better than to just be redshirted the way he was.

As for Ezri, I have nothing against her as a character. My chief issues concerning her were:
    1. The producer's decision to kill off Jadzia the way they did.
    2. The trivialization of Jadzia's death by essentially bringing her back in a different body two episodes later.
    3. Wasting a brilliant concept (a Trill who was unprepared for Joining and wound up neurotic as a result) on a one season character.
    4. The utterly boring Ezri/Bashir ship.

Commander Troi and Qonundrum like this.
  13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ezri/Bashir is probably a fair complaint, but I was really happy with the amount of depth Ezri had despite being a one season character. And she certainly didn't trivialize Jadzia's death in any way.

I do wish Jadzia had died on the spy mission in Cardassian space instead of the stupid 'oh let's randomly murder the woman who's getting ready to have a baby for literally no reason at all' plot. But that's not Ezri's fault. It probably isn't even the writers' fault. If Berman had treated Farrell decently, Jadzia probably wouldn't have died, and if he had just cut off the relationship earlier since he clearly wasn't interested in treating her decently, there would have been time to give Jadzia an actually decent send-off instead of the last minute bs she got.

Commander Troi and WarpTenLizard like this.
  14. fireproof78

I think this is often the case, especially for fans who like to grab a lot of different ancillary material and partake it in. I think one poster here commented, and I couldn't argue, that it is easy for things like novelizations to blend with the actual episodes, creating more depth than perhaps in the intial offering.

Ultimately, yeah, Icheb was a limited character whom I had not particular attachment too. The outrage over his death was amusing at best, and struck me as incredibly misplaced at worse.

I would also strong discourage people who like Robin Hood or the Three Musketeers from reading the original novels.
    Indeed. Part of my disinterest in ENT over time was it emphasized Archer and his irritability at Vulcans and T'Pol and Trip, while ignoring Hoshi whom Archer specifically selects for the job! Sounds super important...just kidding.
    Always liked Ezri since she showed up in Season 7. Jadzia's death sucked but I never found Ezri poor because of that.

I do wonder at this. I was a little later to DS9, starting with Trials and Tribble-ations, but I always liked Ezri once she showed up.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  15. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Having a new character for a series with continuing storyline for one season was.... weird?
    Instead of focusing on the war we got Ezri introduction episodes.

16. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Hoshi, Travis and even Reed (but to a lesser degree) got screwed over by the big shift in S3.

as for Ezri, it’s almost like they actually pulled off the Will/Thomas Riker switch they contemplated on TNG. The problem was they did it too late, so they spent so much time in the final season filling out the character. It feels like they rammed her down our throat. And then they just stuck her with Bashir because they didn’t really know how to wrap up their characters. I mean, they even did the WORST mirror episode to date just to introduce her Mirror version.

my opinion (if Jadzia had to die) they should have just let Dax move on and either make Nog or Kassidy a series regular. Then have the “new” Dax show up at the big good bye party as a tease. Maybe he or she isn’t even in Starfleet.

Commander Troi and Oddish like this.
  17. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

agreed. The actors were good and ( I thought ) had screen charisma.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  18. fireproof78

Given Nog's rise to prominence in the cast I would say that would feel better thematically.

Commander Troi, Paul755 and Oddish like this.
  19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Jadzia did not have to die. The series would have done just fine with her making fewer appearances. DS9 made few mistakes, but that was definitely a biggie.

Paul755 and Farscape One like this.
  20. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only mistake was not introducing Ezri waaay earlier, like in season 4 or so.
    She just was a more interesting character than Jadzia, imo.

Grendelsbayne and Richard S. Ta like this.
  21. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

That would have been fine too, I guess. We lost Yar, for instance, but got security officer "when in doubt, fire phasers" Worf.