What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Dee1891

Dee1891 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I believe the high point of the Star Trek franchise happened between 1987 and 2001 - thanks to Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

2. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The best year Trek ever had might be 1997. Or 1967.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    1996. It coincided with the end of the Eugenics Wars, you know. :shifty: :p

JonnyQuest037 and GNDN18 like this.
  4. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commodore Commodore

The D is a humpbacked whale. The E is an orca.

5. Paul755

Paul755 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I mean, the Sovereign Class was built during the time of the Borg and Dominion. So it was built with fighting in mind. Not necessarily peace and exploration

Making it all the more puzzling that the E-E was sidelined with diplomatic duty during the war.

Phoenix219 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  6. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Premium Member

Fairest of them all. And I love the TOS for what it is not, a rocket or a saucer.

Tango and Richard S. Ta like this.
  7. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the primary reason why it was on diplomatic duty was only because Picard is such an accomplished diplomat.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recall early fan sites and booklets calling her a Battleship (in the same way 1701 was a Heavy Cruiser)

9. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ambassador was the best looking Enterprise.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  10. FredH

FredH Captain Captain

Re all the unending variations of “The toothpaste is the wrong color! It’s not the Prime universe, and only FOOLS think it is—“

Forget it, Jake. It’s television.

11. The Knappos

The Knappos Commander Red Shirt

The Enterprise E, the refit/A and the Discoprise/SNW connie are all joint favourite for me.

Honourable mention to the Phase 2 Enterprise.

The D, I didn't like initially - until I got the light up noisy toy for Christmas, then I came to really appreciate it by osmosis of protracted interaction.

The B/Excelsior I always felt was a very 80s design which dated very quickly to me. Though I did like the reprise version from Picard recently.

I prefer to concept C/Ambassador to the actual one, but both are nice looking tanks of a ship.

I don't mind the STO F. It's got the sleekness of the E with the sturdiness of the D. It is, for my money, by far the best STO exclusive federation/starfleet design I've seen.

The J is an abomination.

12. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For all the ships named Enterprise:
    - I respect the TOS Connie, but I was never a fan of it's design.
    - Refit Connie was the Enterprise that I really liked
    - Phase 2 Connie was pretty good too
    - I love the SNW Connie
    - The Excelsior class didn't do much fore me, but Enterprise-B with it's slight modification was my preferred Excelsior Variant.
    - TNG Enterprise was my favorite with the Galaxy-class
    - Enterprise E was ok, but some of John Eaves prototype drawings were my preference for a replacement Sovereign Class
    - Enterprise F would be fine if they filled in the neck, having that giant gap is kinda goofy IMO.
    - I love the overall concept of the Enterprise J, but it needs to be a combination of what we saw & the Congo class to be perfect.

13. F. King Daniel

How about a controversial Star Trek designer? You all love the refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-D, but it turns out Andrew Probert's beliefs are as follows in this link.:(

14. KamenRiderBlade

It's a free country, people can vote for whomever they want. Even for people and political parties you may not like.
    Doesn't mean you can't be nice & respectful to them; and like what they've worked on despite any political differences.
    Being an adult means dealing with people of different political beliefs and values.
    What matters is how you treat those people despite the differences, that's the mark of a mature adult.

If you let things like that bother you, you're going to live a VERY HARD life as an adult because there is an entire world of people who won't agree with you and if you let that get to you; you're always going to be emotionally & mentally exhausted.

Learn to deal with people who don't agree with you and treat them with a civil tongue, otherwise you're going to end up unhappy and creating unnecessary conflict for very little gain. If you take the time to talk to Andrew Probert IRL, I'm sure you'll love the man.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    PCz911, Phoenix219, trekshark and 6 others like this.
  15. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

That was an excellent post. I wish more people actually lived by those words, KRB. (If you don't mind the acronym... it's a long name. :) )

16. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek hero starships were all heavily armed, and were all sent into battle situations. In the episode where Picard stated (words to the effect) that Starfleet wasn't a military, the Enterprise was being sent by Starfleet into a wargame.

Which was use for exploration.

17. F. King Daniel

I finds some of the language used in the linked post quite objectionable. Surely I'll find him a lovely man if I'm a white male who prays to the same God as he does. Otherwise I'm not sure I'd be welcome, and as such I would not want to welcome him.

Sci, Richard S. Ta and Imaus like this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Without giving spoilers, if I had to rank the three modern live-action pilots, it would go:

1. "Remembrance" (PIC) --> 10/10
    2. "Strange New Worlds" (SNW) --> 9/10
    3. "The Vulcan Hello" (DSC) --> 7/10 (would've been an 8, if Burnham hadn't been so bone-headed at the end)

This ranking is firm, and none of it was difficult to place.

19. KamenRiderBlade

I think he would welcome you no matter what you are.

The man has been part of the Star Trek fandom longer than most of us have been alive.

Andrew Probert has most likely met everybody of every Creed, Ethnicity, Religion, Skin Color, Gender, Sexual Orientation, etc; by this point in his career by just going to fan Conventions and talking to fans in general.

I HIGHLY doubt you would be able to offer anything that would surprise him by this point short of being a real non-human alien from another planet.

Even then, he would want to welcome you with open arms and welcome you to Earth.

PCz911, Phoenix219 and Farscape One like this.
  20. F. King Daniel

His post featured anti-Muslim and Qanon stuff. From that alone I am skeptical. Words have meanings. His make him seem an ugly man.