What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

it's about time everybody gets the memo - but we probably need a squadron of warbirds by the end of the week to understand that

2. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe TOS/TAs, TNG, DS9, an dall the other series are just 20th century and 21st century guesses as to what the "real" future, persons, places, things, vehicles, etc. will look like.

See my post # 6780 on page 239.

3. oberth

why don't you link to it?

4. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why don't you?

Actually, why don't I? Here you go.

5. oberth

if i'd refer to one of my posts from 105 pages before the actual one i surely would - as i definately don't know post numbers or the page they are on i'd have to find the post so where's the hazzle to link to it. i wouldn't expect everybody else to find that post again.

i actually didn't bother to go looking for it and i guess most people won't either.

... and then, i still think @MAGolding should have linked to it himself, at least if he wants anybody to read it :evil: :devil:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    1001001 likes this.
  6. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't understand though why there would be any need for some over-complicated "frame story" of people in the Star Trek future "sending back information and sometimes pictures/film" to the "Star Trek present for them to make shows out of".
    Why not just see Star Trek as the fictional show it is, why is there any need for this additional layer?

JoaquinSlowly and oberth like this.
  7. oberth

exactly - it's a show after all. we may, for discussion's sake, pretent it's all true but their is no need to bend everything to make it more true.

... but then i do believe there are already people camping out in bozeman, mt to wait for them vulcans (i do know that's still some time off but only who gets there first get's the best seats)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  8. Orphalesion

Not gonna lie, the reason I was very glad that the scientific community declined Shatner's suggestion to name Pluto's additional satellites "Vulcan" and "Romulus" was because I want them to save that name for when we will actually discover an inhabitable desert-dominated planet somewhere, somewhen in the future.

9. oberth

never understood that, vulcan is supossed to be hot

10. Orphalesion

That and Pluto's additional satellites are pebbles when it comes to celestial bodies (makes sense, what with them being the satellites of a Dwarf Planet) It would have been a waste of a good name.

I think Shatner just wanted attention, isn't that why most of the Hollywood types do what they do? And what most people use Twitter for?

11. oberth

he got enough of that lately

12. Orphalesion

Yeah but that was years ago, I think it was even before 2009 when Star Trek was pretty much dead.

13. oberth

i know, i meant to shut up for the time being

Orphalesion likes this.
  14. The Knappos

The Knappos Captain Captain

Is it controversial to say The Cloud Minders is not very good?

15. oberth

it'd be controversial to call tos series #3 good :ack:

16. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Tholian Web... Requiem for Methuselah... The Savage Curtain... The Paradise Syndrome... they're not all to be avoided.

17. oberth

i didn't say that, did it? especially the tholian web is one of my alltime favourites but to me tos 3 is the worst season of all trek which means the one with the most drop-outs during a binging session

... and i don't expect anybody to see it my way, anyway - i actually know a woman who insists spock's brain is the best trek episode ever (which is obviously nuts)

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  18. The Knappos

The Knappos Captain Captain

19. 1001001

1001001 Do You Really Wanna Taste It? Moderator

There isn't one.

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    That's not only controversial to some in our fanbase but I'll go one better. I adore it.

It has a truly beautiful soundtrack, Kathryn Hays turns in a wonderful physical performance as Gem and the Vians are two of the more interesting aliens in Season 3, both in motivations and makeup.