Were Riker and Troi having casual sex during the series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by J47, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

But I think that FWB wasn't really a thing back when this show was on.
    So would try have written that in?

2. SoullessMinion

SoullessMinion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:vulcan: What on earth makes you think that? Millennials didn't invent casual sex.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering the various ways sexuality had already been explored in literary sci-fi for decades before that, TNG's humans were arguably too much like the contemporary (and rather conservative at that) audience in that regard.

Kor

4. Nakita Akita

Casual sex=:barf:
    Men invented casual sex. Women are too stupid to not put a stop to it.
    Maybe in the future women are smarter.

5. SoullessMinion

SoullessMinion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Whereas I hope that in the future, people have moved past the idea that women need to be shamed for their sexual choices.

SolarisOne and Nyotarules like this.
  6. RobinSpace

RobinSpace Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Maybe a threesome with Worf. Because I think Worf did it with Diana

Nakita Akita likes this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of my best friends is a women that lives for casual sex and has a list of conquests which James T. Kirk couldn't hope to approach.
    This. It's not a lifestyle for me, but if it makes other people happy and they're safe, more power to them.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

What really got Riker and Troi in the mood was watching holoprograms chronicling the adventures of Jonathan Archer.

Jedman67 and F. King Daniel like this.
  9. Mel Tenorio

Mel Tenorio Lieutenant Red Shirt

I interpreted their relationship as a deep friendship without the benefits. They did have affairs with others outside of their friendship.

The real question is: Did Troi and Worf have sex or were they just dating?

10. Nakita Akita

As a woman, I can tell you, conquering a man into having sex is about a difficult as getting my husky to eat a piece of cheese.:lol:

11. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

He bit her cheek , they were doing it. Troi can handle a Klingon

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only about half my friend's conquests are men.

13. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I could never figure out their relationship. Didn't Riker stand her up and chose his career over her? He had agreed to meet her on a planet somewhere and then chose pursue his career and never met her there. Simply stood her up.

The show for some reason tries to make it sound innocent, but it seems kind of assholish when you hear it described. At least by Troi's version.

Riker was a bit of a manwhore himself, kind of makes him look like a hypocrite whenever he gave Troi those looks when she was with someone.

Trek had always handles relationships badly.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  14. Mel Tenorio

Mel Tenorio Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree that ST series handled relationships poorly. However, the Litverse makes up for it does a good job exploring relationships further.

15. Kor

Not to derail this thread, but I always imagine your posts in Giorgio Tsoukalos' voice! :scream:

Kor

Mel Tenorio likes this.
  16. Nakita Akita

I never thought about it before but all of my lesbian friends have told me that if I want to switch sides, they're available.......:lol:

17. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure that by the 24th century, HIV, HPV, HSD, and every other STD*, has a cure. Otherwise I imagine they'd all be far more concerned about sweat being the perfect channel for all sorts of cooties for which no barrier can prevent their transmission...

* not "Star Trek Discovery", hiyoooooo!

18. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's just TNG that didn't know how to do relationships. DS9 is filled with great pairings (Kira/Odo, Worf/Jadzia, Sisko/Kassidy, and they even successfully rehab Miles/Keiko from their grim TNG portrayal) and VOY and ENT managed one solid coupling each.

Though I guess VOY also had messes like Kes/Neelix and Chakotay/Seven... OK, that might belong in the penalty box with TNG as well...

19. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Trek just had a TV stereotypical way of portraying relationships I think. A little melodrama, fights, then romantic holodeck dates. And then there's the romance of the week stuff, where a character falls in love then the adventure is over and it's all forgotten next week.

For TV and real life interesting couples say funny things to each other, act funny around each other, fight in funny ways, etc. It's not so the same way all the time, the way Trek portrays it.

You'd think Troi would be royally mad--pissed off-- at Riker for standing her up and ending their relationship like that.

So the story goes..."We were in a serious relationship. We agreed to meet on a planet for a date or getaway. On his ship he decides to send me a message that he's pursuing his career and he's not meeting me, and the relationship is over. We don't see each other for a few years".

Upon seeing him I'd be kind of mad . I would want a woman that would say, 'You are far more important than my career, they can keep their promotion!" :lol:

She should have constantly reminded him of it--would have been normal relationship behavior.Instead she just acts accepting and sometimes acts like she's still a girlfriend, except not.

I never noticed this until I paid attention to what she said about it in one episode. Up until then I thought it was a mutual separation, or they were very close friends with benefits or something.

20. Kor

24th century people don't succumb to normal relationship behavior. They have a more evolved sensibility.

Kor