Welcome new Voyager fans!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Caprica_Six, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have been absent for a bit, so let me take the time now to welcome those who have joined. It is always a pleasure to exchange thoughts and opinions about our beloved show.

Thomas Eugene likes this.
  2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not what you'd call a new fan, necessarily, but I'm on my third rewatch (3/4 of the way through the 7th season now), and I have to say it's official: I love Star Trek: Voyager. Sure, it took 3 attempts, but it stuck. ♥

3. ag87

ag87 Cadet Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so posting an introduction message here. I don't spend a lot of time posting on the internet and don't remember ever posting to a Star Trek forum, but I've liked Star Trek for many years (decades now, I suppose). I found this forum while looking for the original Voyager web site referenced in a DVD extra (this question is in a separate post I did earlier).

I could write in great detail regarding my increasing interest with Star Trek over many years (decades now, I suppose), and I started to do so, but I've got so much to say that the post would be huge. Basically, I first became somewhat interested in Star Trek with the movies in the 80's, I think Next Generation is the best show of all time (meaning, of all shows, not just Star Trek or science fiction), I started watching Star Trek regularly with Voyager and think it is probably in the top 5 shows of all time (and seems often underrated by people), I also really like DS9 and the original series, and I enjoyed the movies 1-10 (I think the director version of the first one was great, 2/4/6 are classics of course, 3/5/7 are a bit flawed but still enjoyable and have great moments, 8-10 are great). I also liked the animated series fairly well when I finally saw it. I was a little disappointed with Enterprise mainly due to continuity/story issues, although I think the cast and many other aspects of the show were great so it was worth watching at least once. I'm still a bit undecided on the reboot movies because they seemed a bit heavier on action than on story and I'm far more interested in story (I also like very early Doctor Who, e.g., Season 1, 1963, black and white, if that is any indication of how important story is to me over special effects and action). I haven't seen the new show yet due to weirdness with living in the US and how it is shown here; I wish they would just put in on my Netflix subscription. Without getting too far off-topic into other shows, I will at least say I also really like Farscape.

4. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Interesting story ag87. I also became interested in Star trek with the movies and TNG, but became a fan by watching Voyager.

Welcome to all the newbies here.:beer:

Klaa2 likes this.
  5. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I just wanted to extend a welcome to any new Voyager fans here!

Klaa2, Refuge and Thomas Eugene like this.
  6. Klaa2

Klaa2 Commander Red Shirt

Not sure how I can follow that, but...

I joined last year, because I was watching ST on Netflix. It all started when I wondered if Neelix was as unwatchable as I remembered him being. He wasn’t. At all. And watching him, got me drawn into watching more and more ST. I am still watching.

7. CT0760

CT0760 Ensign Red Shirt

Hi, just joined the site and I just found a voyager misb playmates toy off ebay so I got nostalgic and started voyager up on netflix, (only on episode 4 or so, I think I'm going to try to watch it over time and not do marathons so it lasts longer)

8. Rachel Foster

Rachel Foster Ensign Red Shirt

Hey all!

I’m new to here. I am a huge voyager fan from back in the day! I’ve been rewatching it on Netflix and listening to “to the journey” pod casts, reading fan fic and reading mosaic! Unfortunately nobody in my household shares my enthusiasm for voyager and I don’t have anyone to talk about it to!

I hope that you’re all well and I’m looking forward in to talking and getting to know you all

Rach

9. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

Welcome.
    You are among (VOY :biggrin:) friends now so we do share your enthusiasm.
    So feel free to talk about VOY as much as you like. :D

Klaa2 likes this.
  10. Rachel Foster

I’m loving the love already! Thank you! I will do lots of reading catch up on the discussions! There’s a lot!

Thomas Eugene and Klaa2 like this.
  11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Welcome! I read a lot of Voyager fanfic, too.

Which characters are your favorites?

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

New fans today watching this are probably asking, "Why don't they just spin to get home?" :)

Rachel Foster and Klaa2 like this.
  13. Rachel Foster

Definitely the Doctor and Seven - together! They’re so funny!

Klaa2 and Kilana2 like this.
  14. Klaa2

Klaa2 Commander Red Shirt

In no order:
    the Doctor
    Seven
    Harry Kim
    Tom Paris
    B’Elanna
    Neelix

- I think it’s because they are so individual and well-developed. If I had to choose any one character, it would be the Doctor. His vanity is never off-putting, is rich in possibilities for the plot, and makes him very funny. I can’t imagine anyone but Robert Picardo playing him. The Doctor is a great character in his own right.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  15. Rachel Foster

Any good fanfic recommendations?

Klaa2 likes this.
  16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    The episode when he impersonated Seven really showed how good Jeri Ryan is as an actor.

Gotta confess... I'm not a fan of J/C. I've found some authors on fanfiction.net who have written some really excellent C/7 stories (yes, they do manage to make Chakotay interesting ;)).

I also like Tom Paris, and there's someone on TrekBBS who has written some good post-Endgame adventure stories in which Tom Paris is eventually promoted to Captain and gets his own ship.

There are some Doctor/Seven stories on that site as well. One of the more unusual stories is one in which Seven is paired with Samantha Wildman. I know it sounds unlikely, but then who says Seven should limit herself to human males?

If you'd like to drop me a PM and let me know what kinds of stories you like, I can tell you if I know of any good ones. There are some authors I've been following for years, but if you're not into C/7, they wouldn't be your cup of tea.

EDIT: I just realized how recently you joined. You won't have PM privileges yet, so I'll use the time to search out some Doctor/Seven stories.

cosmic mouse and Klaa2 like this.
  17. Rachel Foster

Haha! 7/Wildman! I wouldn’t have paired them two! I’d read that!

I’ve read J/7 fic but the author takes a year at a time to release a new chapter. So looking for something to read in the mean time.

Captain Paris sounds awesome! I wanna read some of that!
    And yeah I’m newer than new :cool:

Klaa2 likes this.
  18. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

Captain Paris? Here's a wallpaper I made on this topic:

[​IMG]

Klaa2, Kilana2 and Timewalker like this.
  19. Alejandro

Alejandro Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just started to watch Voyager last week in Netflix (great that they have all the ST series available).
    I enjoyed the first season. It was not great like TNG, TOS or DS9 but it was good.
    Favorite Characters so far: Janeway, Tuvok and The Doctor.
    Most annoying character: Neelix. Just hope his character will improve in the next seasons.

Thomas Eugene and Klaa2 like this.
  20. Byrcca

Byrcca Ensign Newbie

Hello. :). I’m new to the board but I’ve been a Voyager fan since it first aired. (I watched TOS reruns as a child), and I’ve seen all the Trek series, but Voyager is my favourite. I love them all of the characters in various ways, and surprised myself by even liking th e former ‘annoying’ characters in a recent rewatch of the series. But, I’m an avid P/Ter and B’Elanna is hands down my favourite character. I love her toughness/vulnerability, and her story arc throughout the series. IMO, every B’Elanna-centric episode was good, and many had an underlying message about humanity and moraity.

I used to post on the PTCA message boards back in the day, and I find I’m missing a community with whom to talk Trek in general and Voyager specifically. I wrote fan fiction under a couple of other names back then, and all but one of my posse has moved on (and that one is incredibly busy), so I am pining for a little Voyager interaction.

I rewatch the series as a whole about every ten years, and during my last binge last winter the fic bug bit me again and I’ve churned out three dozen stories since March. I’m likely going to be asking for opinions on random questions, and I won’t lie, they’ll likely all be for research. Sometimes the memory-alpha wiki lets me down.

So, hello. Please be kind.