Watched The Visitor for the first time in 10 years

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Mar 26, 2021.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whether it 'actually happened' or not is not that relevant in how I rate an episode (unless of course it's a really flimsy construction), A lot of great episodes with time travel 'never happened' at the end, such as Year of Hell or Yesterday's Enterprise (the last one at least to the extent that Our Heroes remember none of it), or All Good Things.

It's a very good episode with a lot of emotional impact, but that alone isn't enough for me propel it into the highest regions, and the rest of the story (hence disregarding the emotional impact) isn't that exceptional. To me 'one of the greatest Trek episodes ever made' is slightly overrating the ep, even though I'd still say it's in 'very high quality' territory.

And frankly, her role isn't that important. She's only the excuse for Old Jake to tell his story, but it's not as if she inspired him to make his self-sacrifice or anything like that- he had long taken his decision to do so.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Bad Thoughts likes this.
  2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he should have just been narrating a personal log. ;)

3. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

No. Because when something is already pretty much perfect, you don't mess with it.

kkt likes this.
  4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

"To my father -- who's coming home."

dupersuper and DonIago like this.
  5. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

There's worse than episodes that never happened there's the Voyager it happened but nobody remembers episodes, the ironically named "Unforgettable" and the aptly named "Course Oblivion"... Neither makes any sense...

6. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I've forgotten "Unforgettable".

(sorry, I'll see myself out)

7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Do you remember "Remember"?

*Oddish follows kkt*

Markonian, kkt and dupersuper like this.
  8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

None of it happened. It's fiction.

(Sorry, not leaving.)

Markonian likes this.
  9. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

*For speaking sacrilege, Bad Thoughts is violently seized by a mob of angry Trekkies, tarred, feathered, and defenestrated.*

(Should've left.)

Markonian likes this.
  10. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

(As he is being expelled, Bad Thoughts says, in Shatner voice: ) Get a life!

Markonian likes this.
  11. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

You look really cute with those feathers stuck all over you. :nyah:

kkt likes this.
  12. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here here!

Something else along these lines I hate: the term "filler episode".

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Course Oblivion works because nobody remembers. It's like a dark Twilight Zone episode. First you find you aren't the real you just before you are about to get home. Then you and all the people you know and love start to die. Then to top it off your attempt to let anyone even know you once a existed fails. Complete with the real versions of you just missing finding out about you before all traces of your existence is limited to some file of a dust cloud and some debris found in space.

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^It worked for some but not for others. There's an argument to be made that the ending is terribly cynical and renders the events of the episode largely pointless, and not even in the same way a "reset button" is arguably pointless in that we're at least seeing "our" characters versus copies. It may be for the best that the episode at least makes it clear early on that to some degree these aren't our characters, though it takes some time before we learn just how much they aren't our characters.

15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Course: Oblivion puts the Voyager cast in a situation that it's impossible to put them in for real, just to see how they handle it. It could have been undone by a temporal anomaly or parallelity shift or a snap of Q's fingers, but it would have the dark ending pack far less gravitas. C:O is Star Trek for nihilists.

Markonian likes this.
  16. Swedish Borg

If anything "Couse Oblivion" shows that Janeway is insane. How else to describe her behavior after she's learned that she wasn't the original Captain? Not listening to anybody and stubbornly maintaining a course of action that absolutely everybody else tells her that will doom her crew. It's good for her that the logs had been destroyed because it could have convinced the real crew that they should choose another Captain, quickly. It would definitely have convinced me.
    Who wants an "I don't care if you're all dying, I'll get you home" Captain? Only someone who's as insane as she.

17. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Insane or not, but it's fairly close to the character of the real Janeway (at least as we see her in a number of episodes). Headstrong, not always listening to advice because She Knows Better and with an obsession to get her crew home, and only settling for less if there really, really, really is no way to accomplish that original goal.

18. Swedish Borg

Yeah, and she committed the worst infraction to the prime directive in recorded history!!! Give a weapon of mass destruction to the BORG!!! If there was any justice Arturis would have succeeded in his plan to assimilate her... alone (given that her crew has... admittedly some mitigating circumstances in their favor, for one thing, they were used to her type of insanity). How dare she lecture anybody about the prime directive when what she has done is a thousand times worse?

19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Planned to give a weapon on mass destruction to the Borg. Since the Borg betrayed her, they never got it.

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

And Sisko rendered a Maquis planet uninhabitable but I guess we can use this thread to pile on the Woman Captain.

Plot Twist: Tuvix was the real visitor. :evil: