Was "It's a Wonderful Life" the first tv show/movie to show a alternate universe/timeline?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't say I know much about many of the movies from back then and even less about the tv shows. I mean I am sure you have had movies or shows about dreams or fantasy enviroments but not one that sort of takes a realistic look at a altered timeline or realisitc by 40's standards, anyways.

Jason

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Depends on how you define that.

IAWL is a riff on Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" which I believe had already been done as a film.

Greg Cox, GNDN18 and lurok like this.
  3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, you have the Wizard of Oz from 1939 for the classic but which had silent adaptations as early as 1910.

EDIT: Ah shit, I see where that's not what you meant...

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yep. "A Christmas Carol" directly addresses the issue of alternate futures and timelines:

"Are these the shadows of the things that Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only? Men's courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead, but if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!"

EDIT: Looked it up. There were many silent and talkie versions of A CHRISTMAS CAROL predating IAWL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_A_Christmas_Carol#Film

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Galileo7 likes this.
  5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The first known Silent “Christmas Carol” was done in 1901.

Greg Cox likes this.
  6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was also going to bring up "A Christmas Carol" as the first story (and film) in this vein. :)