Was Chakotay/Seven really that bad?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Sophie74656, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised Pluto is there.

Launching a small planet into the void is a cheap way to abandon a solar system.

I guess warp was invented too quickly for anyone to resort to that.

2. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There isn't much after that. There is one 3-book series(Dark Nest by Troy Denning), and 2 nine part book series. Legacy of the Force, and fate of the Jedi. both of those had 3 authors get together and each write 3/9 books. LotF was by Aaron Allston, Karen Travis, and Troy Denning. FotJ was by Aaron Allston, Christie Golden, and Troy Denning.

I really enjoyed them(the two 9 part series). I don't care for Denning. I mostly enjoy Travis, Golden too. And Allston is quite amazing. Sadly he passed away 2 or 3 years ago. There are a few one off books interspersed with this timeline also.

As for homecoming, I got really frustrated with certain story elements, like so many familiar faces from other series suddenly there, like Picard.

3. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

OK, thanks. So it seems you do recommend those SW books.
    Ah, okay, thanks. I must admit I know very little about this world but at least I've recently seen GREEN LANTERN (only because I couldn't resist Supersexy Ryan Reynolds :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:) so at least I partly understand what this video is about. I know the Marvel films a little better (only a little, the world of comics is pretty forgettable in my book).
    In any case I had a hunch that your name had nothing to do with your interest in gardening ... :lol::lol::lol:
    The weird thing with Pluto was that this new type of Borg that did not assimilate any more but were bent on absorbing seemed to have this insatiable appetite and ate a whole planet. I found the idea of the Borg eating funny in the first place but eating a planet just made it seem like it was an even more far-fetched idea.

But at least Admiral Nechayev seemed to have a better sense of humour in BEFORE DISHONOR than on DS9. :biggrin:

Also, does anyone have any idea how the Borg Queen (=Janeway) meant to assimilate/absorb the Q Continuum? If memory serves, she threatened the female Q that the Q had better be careful because they were not as safe from the Borg as they thought.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Guy Gardener likes this.
  4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Conversations like these remind me to go check the fanfiction authors I'm following, to see if there are any updates. The stories may be soapish, but they make a lot more sense.

5. Thomas Eugene

Recommendations for VOY novels by ff authors? Esp. ones that have been writing a series of novels, in which every book takes the story one stage further?

6. Timewalker

Sorry, your post isn't clear. Could you rephrase?

7. Thomas Eugene

Sorry.
    I meant to ask if you could recommend some good fan fiction authors that write novels (VOY only)? Especially novels that are not stand-alone books but are made up of more than just one volume (a trilogy or even longer than that)?

8. Timewalker

If you could give me some idea of what kind of stories you're into, and which characters you like, I could probably give some suggestions.

One author whose work I really like is Alpha Flyer. The stories focus on Tom Paris, post-Endgame, and the premise is that he remains in Starfleet and is eventually granted a captaincy. There's a bit of crossover with TNG (Admiral Necheyev is a recurring character), and they're good, solid adventure stories featuring (among other species) Andorians and Orions.

Since this is a discussion that could derail this thread, would it be okay to discuss this via PM? Feel free to start a Conversation and let me know what kind of stories you're looking for.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  9. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

That wasn't a Voyager Novel. I know Janeway and Seven were featured but it was actually a TNG novel.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Alwaystrekkin and Sophie74656 like this.
  10. Timewalker

Either way, it was stupid. And I gave up on the TNG novels a long time before the Voyager ones.

11. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw:But so True! :techman:
    I liked when Mulgrew/Janeway had this hair cut.

[​IMG]

12. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Yes next question please.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pluto thing and that entire novel was badly written nonsense that read like it'd been hammered out while sitting on the toilet. A low point in Treklit.

Also really, it was a Voyager novel. Janeway dies in it.

Yeah I know technically it is a TNG novel and, really, they can have it :lol:

14. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

she doesn't die, she was in the last few voyager novels

15. teacake

She did actually die. There was endless campaign to bring her back, lots of letter writing, it was a big deal in VOY land. Kirsten Beyer would periodically post here and would never say if she was coming back. The writer of the Pluto book was quoted early on as saying he enjoyed killing her off and she was not coming back. I don't think they would have bothered if it didn't come up at every con and wasn't a big deal in VOY fandom for years.

16. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I did not mind her death. I don't mind the death of any main canon character, it adds some realism to the ST novelverse. Its why she died and how she got there I find hilarious. I bet the author hated the character and decided not to give Janeway any dignity at all in the novel.

Sophie74656 likes this.
  17. Timewalker

I didn't care about Janeway's death, but I was rather steamed about Pluto.

18. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Poor Pluto, he never deserved to be eaten. Mickey must be so upset.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  19. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A TNG author killed off Janeway? And then said he enjoyed doing it?
    What a jerk.

When R.A. Salvatore killed Chewbacca, he got so much hatemail and threats, that he stopped writing for SW.

And it wasn't even His idea...

20. teacake

And didn't a planet fall on Chewbacca?

Unfortunately SW has no magic science and it seems unlikely he will return, Q style, like Janeway eventually did.

Hey but at least the EU has been trashed as canon now by TPTB :lol: so he's not really dead!