Spoilers VOY: The Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Nov 4, 2020.

?

Rate The Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway

1. Outstanding

27.3%
  2. Above Average

54.5%
  3. Average

9.1%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

9.1%
  1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Published: October 2020
    Edited by Una McCormack

Captain Janeway of the U.S.S. Voyagertells the story of her life in Starfleet, for fans of Star Trek.

Kathryn Janeway reveals her career in Starfleet, from her first command to her epic journey through the Delta Quadrant leading to her rise to the top as vice-admiral in Starfleet Command. Discover the story of the woman who travelled further than any human ever had before, stranded decades from home, encountering new worlds and species.

Explore how she brought together Starfleet and the Maquis as part of her crew, forged new alliances with species across the galaxy and overcame one of Starfleet's greatest threats - the Borg - on their own remote and hostile territory. Get Janeway's personal take on key characters such as Seven of Nine, her trusted friend Tuvok, new arrivals like Neelix and her second-in-command, Chakotay.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  2. tomswift2002

Commander Naomi Wildman wrote the forward.

3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

When’s it dated?

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No date provided, but assuming it's supposed to be written at the same time that Janeway wrote this autobiography, then based on the photo inserts in the middle of the book, it would likely be the 2390s.

Tosk likes this.
  5. tomswift2002

I was just thinking, sometime it would be interesting to compare it to Fire Ship in terms of how Kathryn Janeway’s voice and writing style are, since in a way it’s another Janeway Autobiography.

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Admiral Rex likes this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

trampledamage, Philzilla and Paris like this.
  8. Krupp

Krupp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Firstly, it's a very quick read. Secondly, to set expectations - about the first half of the book concerns Janeway growing up and then coming up in Starfleet, and the second half is a breeze through some highlights and lowlights of her seven years in the Delta Quadrant.

To be honest I'd have preferred more time dwelling on the inner thoughts and reflections around what we had seen on screen than learning about her almost perfect Mary Sue upbringing. It felt like a lot of the reflections on the series itself were breezed through whilst we'd got a pretty detailed look at life lessons of teenage Janeway. But I guess that's preference and personal!

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the Kirk book was the same way, which makes sense to me. I can see wanting to emphasize stuff we've never seen before, rather than stuff that most of the people reading the book have probably already seen multiple times.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  10. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

Read the first chapter last night, and I'm enjoying it so far. Una McCormack manages to capture Janeway's voice and the tone of the book feels much lighter and relaxed than Kirk and Picard's. I'm liking the little touches such as Janeway putting in digresions, self-efacing quips and jokes.

11. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

Just picked it up today at B&N. Along with a political book I will finish (it's mercifully short), but that I don't particularly like. (It's not bad enough that I'm constantly seeing reactionary screeds, now I have to deal with leftist ones, too?)

I haven't even begun reading the present opus, and it's already got me scratching my head. Whence came the "academy" picture of Janeway? It doesn't especially look like Kate Mulgrew, not even the 24-year-old Kate Mulgrew from Mrs. Columbo.

12. Una McCormack

Una McCormack Writer Red Shirt

The illustrations were all done specially for the book by Russell Walks. I think they're beautiful.

Kertrats47 and Ronald Held like this.
  13. Kahlesh

Kahlesh Captain Captain

The Kirk is still the best, by a long shot.

Ronald Held likes this.
  14. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

My inner nerd is a bit peeved that Lieutenant Janeway is pictured wearing the Voyager uniform when taking a photo with Boothby, but they're all very lovely pieces. And its very cool they've put Admiral Janeway in the Picard Starfleet uniform in another photo.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Are you sure it wasn't the very similar cadet uniform that would've been in use at the time?

16. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Any plans for a Sisko autobiography Una?

Kahlesh and Jinn like this.
  17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish they'd do a Sisko autobiography.

Avro Arrow, DS9forever and Kahlesh like this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it was definitely the Voyager uniform, complete with turtleneck underneath the jacket, and Lieutenant's insignia are clearly on her collar. The caption even identifies her as "newly promoted Lieutenant Janeway."

Curiously, the picture of Janeway as a Cadet has her wearing a monster maroon, or rather the collar-less variant as seen in Yesterday's Enterprise and Tapestry.

Mister Spock likes this.
  19. Una McCormack

Una McCormack Writer Red Shirt

That's up to the publisher!

20. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Thanks for replying. I like to show my support for a Sisko release somehow.

Una McCormack likes this.