Spoilers VOY: A Pocket Full Of Lies By Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Jan 15, 2016.

?

How Would You Rate This Book?

1. Outstanding

74.7%
  2. Above Average

20.0%
  3. Average

2.7%
  4. Below Average

1.3%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

ArgyleTrekkie and Idran like this.
  2. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Thanks, Jinn!

3. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah gotcha. I had read that bit ages back when book came out, then returned to the thread today and saw all the blushing stuff. Probably doesn't help that inches is one of those characters permanently stuck in his teenage years in my head.

ArgyleTrekkie likes this.
  4. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finished this up. Pretty amazing. I've only read 2 ST books from 2016 so far and I would be very surprised if this wasn't my favorite book of the year. I liked it that much.

5. fancealot

fancealot Ensign Newbie

Once again Kirsten a great book, I wasnt a lover of the original series of Voyager and the few post voy novels but since Full Circle i'm in love with the voyager and her crew and the rest of the full circle fleet, great work!!

6. JLP_1984

JLP_1984 Ensign Red Shirt

I'm enjoying the relaunch Voyager much more than relaunch DS9 simply because it keeps on connecting the reader to the series it has 'relaunched'. Keep it going Kirsten!

ArgyleTrekkie and jaime like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would agree with you when it comes to the current DS9 Relaunch, but the first cycle of stories was equal to the current Voyager books for me.

Jinn and JLP_1984 like this.
  8. ArgyleTrekkie

ArgyleTrekkie Ensign Red Shirt

Totally, you can tell Ms. Beyer is very thoughtful with her writing in these regards. I love tying things in and also touching on things that could have been given more time during the series airing.

These characters are just so much more richer and robust than they were during the show. I am a giant fan of Chakotay because these books clearly flush him out, in the series I just saw the potential the character had - Beyer actually has developed Chakotay into a dynamic, fully realized character.

Anyways, I will stop babbling. I am excited Ms. Beyer writing for Star Trek Discovery and that we will get at least two more Voyager books from her :)

Avro Arrow, Idran and JLP_1984 like this.
  9. JLP_1984

JLP_1984 Ensign Red Shirt

Couldn't agree more - in fact I prioritised reading the DS9 relaunch. I really enjoyed the first tranche of DS9 stories, similar to ArgyleTrekkie, I found myself finding some of the characters having more depth than the show was able to display.

10. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Ewww....

ArgyleTrekkie, Jinn and Idran like this.
  11. ArgyleTrekkie

ArgyleTrekkie Ensign Red Shirt

:rolleyes: :D

JoeP likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

So, finally got around to reading this today.

I did not see the revisiting of Year of Hell coming at all but it was a great idea and excellently executed. I quite like the subtlety by which the Krenim gradually became more significant over time - the changes to them from Year of Hell weren't enough to stop them still being a bunch of gits. Though it could also be said they embody the idea that others see everything as themselves, the idea that the DTI would not intervene in a temporal outcome that disadvantaged the Federation would be unthinkable to them. (Section 31 on the other hand...)

I quite liked the set-up for the war between the Rilnar and Zahl: The bulk of them are inclined to say screw it and move on, but each had their no surrender diehards on the planet, so recognising they'll never be open to reason, they leave on the planet, quarantine it and go: Fine, go beat the hell out of each other. It only fell apart once the Krenim introduced a chaotic variable.

I enjoyed Icheb's story and continue to enjoy the O'Doinnell and Fife double act. Tuvok's appearance worked well too.

Now looking forward to Architects of Infinity.... whenever it comes out!

13. Jinn

Normally I'd be excited for an additional cover, but honestly, I'm really not that big a fan of Cross Cult's Voyager covers. They're very.. formulaic. I just wish they'd change the color pattern. The last seven books have been 1/3 title stuff, 1/3 the same static image of Voyager (although that's apparantly the fault of CBS) and one third character portrait with red filter over it.

14. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Cross Cult is obviously planning this to be published as two novels. For whatever reasons.

It took me some time to find this thread....:)

15. Jinn

I asked them on facebook, I hope they'll reply tomorrow.

Kilana2 likes this.
  16. Jinn

I just got an answer on facebook and they said that the last Voyager novels sold pretty bad, like they made heavly losses, so they had to split the novel for financial reasosn.

17. Kilana2

Which novels are sold well, then?

18. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished. Too little plot advancement versus character development.

19. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

If you think that about this one, then you won't like the next one at all.

20. Kilana2

It's my impression that he mixed it up with the AoI thread as we ressurrected it only for ones reason: the German edition will be split into two books. I could be wrong, though.