Vancouver Olympics Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Feb 5, 2010.

1. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

You really don't like him do you? Well, even though it's a long shot, Kranjec FTW. ;)

2. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I love curling. I've played since I was a kid, but until this year, I had never played at an actual venue. I recently went to the St. Paul Curling Club and it was a lot different than playing on river or lake ice like we normally do (no bumbs to deal with). Anyway, it's a great game. Easy to learn, but a lot tougher than it looks.

3. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Ammann gets the first gold medal for these Games. :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Well he definitely outclassed everyone else. And I'm seriously happy with sixth and seventh that our guys got.

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Boo. :klingon:

I'm also sad Uhrmann didn't get a medal, he would've deserved that.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is why snowboarding is my favorite Winter Olympics sport. While the figure skaters are all crying the snowboarders are laughing and smiling and having a good time (and probably passing a fat one around).
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/va...-Japanese-snowboarder-busted-f?urn=oly,219311

I only watched some of it, I was thinking they went alphabetical and the Candaians went at "C", I assume the host nation came last?

7. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Not at the Olympics, they are testing for cannabis too. ;)

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

For snowboarders that is probably considered a performance enhancing drug.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They did.

But I figured since the United States had the largest contingent of athletes, putting them *before* Uzbekistan was a bad move since it drowned out the latter (i.e. the Uzbek athletes were coming out while the camera was still focused on our people). They should have saved the US *and* Canada for last, because then no one would be - even accidentally - ignored..

10. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Congratulations to speed skater Sven Kramer for that redemptive gold medal in these Games! And no American meddling, at that!

Congratulations also to Slovakia's Anastasiya Kuzmina in the biathon.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're not going to change tradition for NBC. I'm sure every country airing the opening ceremonies focused on their own county.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  12. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

The teams come out in alphabetical order, with the sole exceptions of Greece first and the host country last. But for some reason the US should be granted special dispensation? :wtf:

Please be assured that the people of Uzbekistan weren't watching the NBC feed. :rolleyes:

13. Mr. Laser Beam

No, I proposed putting the Uzbekistan athletes *before* the US ones so that we wouldn't drown them out.

14. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Are we still talking about the Opening Ceremony? :rolleyes:

15. Mr. Laser Beam

16. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Congratulations to Hannah Kearney for her own redemptive gold medal in women's moguls. We're good and nice hosts with smiles on our faces on the head start by the massive US Olympic team, but only up to a point.

That doesn't excuse the performances of speedskaters Charles Hamelin or Oliver Jean.

17. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

18. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Personally, I still think the designer of the luge track should be sued for every last dime he has for negligence. That track was designed solely to facilitate the fastest speed possible without proper safety precautions--no padding on the beams in such close proximity to low walls? Low walls when the lugers could accelerate past 90mph? :wtf: At least four lugers crashed in practice and voiced reservations about the track before Nodar's fatal crash. An inexperienced luger like him was bound to get hurt. Someone's butt ought to be in a sling, but nothing will happen. That last picture of Nodar I saw on the internet blog I came across was horrific.

His left ear was ripped off.

:( He was just a kid. His father dreams all his life that his son will follow in his footsteps to medal in luge, and this happens? Terrible.

19. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Canada's team is only slightly less massive and the host country typically does well in the Olympics, so I don't think the Canadians need to worry.

Pretty surprising end to men's short track and a fantastic performance by Kearney in women's moguls.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Just finished watching the Canada/Slovakia women's hockey game. Canada won 18-0. I feel kinda bad for the Slovaks.