Vancouver Olympics Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Feb 5, 2010.

1. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's shuffleboard on ice. Basically. You're trying to get your stones/circle things inside a certain scoring zone and then the opposing player/team tries to knock it out of the scoring section.

2. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

I'm a competitive curler, and yeah, it confuses a lot of people who have never played before. It's a mixture of skill and strategy. Two teams of four, each player throws two shots, with the ultimate goal being to get rocks of your colour closest to the centre of the rings on the far side of the sheet at the end of each end (round). Only the closest team gets points at the end - one point for each rock closer than the closest opponent rock. The team with the most point after 8 or 10 ends wins.

The purpose of sweeping is to (a) straighten the path of the rock/reduce the amount of curl, and (b) make it go farther. The friction heats the ice just enough to have that effect. I'm not a physicist so can't get too specific how effective it is, but it works. :p

It's a great social sport. Tradition is after a game you go up to the bar and the winning team buys drinks for the losing team. Most people are surprised by how fun the game is when they finally try it - it's a lot harder than it works, and sweeping is a surprisingly good workout.

That's the nutshell version. Watch a game on TV, you'll either enjoy it or be bored to tears, haha. The commentators are usually quite good at explaining the strategy of the game as it goes on.

3. FreezeC77

I'm pretty bored by now and just waiting for the inevitable Gretzky torch lightning. I hope he has a hockey stick and 'wrist-shots' the flame from the torch.

4. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

It'll be Shatner. :p

5. FreezeC77

BTW can I just say that Olympic Torch looks retarded. Is it supposed to be a 22nd century Bic lighter version of it?

*edit* oh noez the Canadians arez broken!

6. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I knew it would be him, before it even got to him. Almost time now.

7. FreezeC77

lol poor Canadians. You wait all this time for the Olympics again get the entire world watching and boom goes the dynamite.

Poor Steve Nash, he gets screwed over

8. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, they're all actual First Nations. Could you imagine the controversy if Canada had white people imitating First Nations to represent them in a ceremony like that? It would be akin to having the Olympic games in New Orleans and during the jazz tribute having it performed by a bunch of white dudes in black-face. I think some of the First Nations people have lighter skin because Canada is a colder climate...it wouldn't surprise me if that was completely incorrect, though.

Overall I thought the ceremony was all right. The best part by far was the fiddling/dancing, though I also liked the Cathedral Grove tribute--mostly because that was basically my backyard growing up--and the whales blowing vapor, swimming through the stage. The Nellie Furtado/Bryan Adams song was awful--obvious lipsynching too--as was the prairie tribute and certain parts of other sections dragged on too long. Also, would someone please tell Brian Williams and Lloyd Robertson to shut up? I can see that the "waves" are washing into the crowd and that the Northern Lights are now above the performers. And stop telling me what's going to happen next. You two are like those annoying friends who never shut up during a movie you haven't seen yet, and describe upcoming scenes just to annoy you more. :p

9. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They also must be really blind when Wayne Gretzky was carrying the torch in the car they commented on how long it was burning that it was special., :wtf: I saw the exchange.

10. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ So I wasn't the only one who thought that:lol:

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was a bit embarassing with the Cauldron. At least they got it lit, but after China, I don't think anything could top that.

You know what I miss though. It's 12:30 AM at night, and I want to see an Olympic event. One year it was Rowing, the last summer games it was Fencing. I'm anxious to see something.

13. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

It was the best Winter Olympics opening ceremony ever. Beat that!

Seriously, there are too many complaints about the cauldron gaffe and lip-synching, and too many comparisons to Beijing. How about topping all the other Winter Olympics opening ceremonies for starters, being held in a metropolitan area?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poor Uzbekistan. They got crushed in between the US and Canadian delegations. The Uzbekians should have gone on before the Americans, even though it's not alphabetical. I don't think they even *showed* the Uzbek athletes onscreen, did they?

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm suprised NBC would show anyone after they got to the United States.

16. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Men's downhill postponed to monday, great choice of venue. :rolleyes:
    Well, they have two weeks to continue moving it back, maybe they get lucky sometime...

17. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well I dought they could have predicted the weather all those years ago when the venue/host was chosen.
    Also the weather here on the West coast has been effected by El NiƱo

18. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I'm not complaining about the Vancouver Olympics in general, but there are always problems with races in Whistler.

Anyway, skijumping is starting soon, please may the best one win, as long as his name isn't Ammann.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You think they would have intentionally ignored Canada's athletes? A group almost as large as ours? Not even NBC would do that.

20. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Ammann won the qualification round. :p