USS Enterprise (eventually) on Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by EJD1984, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, we do 2250.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, it was just five months ago.
    I'm curious about your source for this information?
    This is mine and indeed you seem to be correct, CBS had to wait 6 months until Beyond was released to announce Disco.

saddestmoon likes this.
  3. Styleset

Styleset Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here are the perfect comparisons, given to us clearly by the producers:
    [​IMG]
    U.S.S. Discovery Corridor with Commander Michael Burnham.
    [​IMG]
    U.S.S. Enterprise Corridor with Commander Michael Burnham.

4. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    While the onscreen references are ultimately vague enough to readily accomodate any number of creative reinterpretations if need (or desire) be, it's fairly clear the intent was that Kirk had been in command for at least two years prior to "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (TOS). There, Spock has worked alongside Mitchell "for years"; In "Amok Time" (TOS), Spock has not asked Kirk for leave "in all the years" he's known him; and in Generations, the Enterprise-B is "the first starship Enterprise in thirty years without James T. Kirk in command."

Though obviously not strictly canonical itself, merely to further clarify contemporary intent on the subject, there's this passage from Kirk's biography in The Making Of Star Trek, which was compiled during production of the second season of TOS and published in 1968, just prior to the debut of the third:

"He appears to be thirty-four years old and was born in a small town in the State of Iowa. He entered Space Academy as a midshipman at the age of seventeen, the minimum age allowed. He attended the Academy and finished in the top five percent. Kirk rose very rapidly through the ranks and received his first command (the equivalent of a destroyer-class spaceship) while still quite young. Kirk has been in command of the Enterprise for more than four years and was the youngest Academy graduate ever to have been assigned as a Starship Command Captain."

An open question. That Pike commanded back-to-back five-year missions is conjecture from the Okuda Chronology based on Spock saying he'd "served with" Pike for "eleven years, four months, five days" in "The Menagerie" (TOS). But exactly what that service consisted of, and where it took place, are entirely unknown beyond what's depicted elsewhere in that two-parter, and what is now being shown in DSC. Spock spent some time of unknown duration on Earth with Leila Kalomi circa 2260-61 per "This Side Of Paradise" (TOS), and per "Journey To Babel" (TOS) last visited his parents circa 2263 (which, to return to the earlier point for a moment, also nicely coincides with the last time Kirk had seen Areel Shaw per "Court Martial" [TOS]). Would Spock deduct each and every one of those days/weeks/months from his count? Would he consider himself to still be "serving with" Pike even now, as he sits in his cell on Starbase 5? Also open questions at this point.

Yeah, it was only conjecture up until now, but his service record in "Brother" (DSC) showed it:

[​IMG]

(Of course, as hardly needs to be said again after having been amply illustrated within the preceding pages of this thread, such screens can't always be taken as reliably accurate in every detail.)

-MMoM:D

lawman, TrickyDickie and XCV330 like this.
  5. Tuskin38

2250 is also the number Memory-Alpha has been using for years, and that paragraph was copied and edited from Memory-Alpha.

It looped back in on itself.

Ronald Held likes this.
  6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Spock would count leave as time served with Pike.

7. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rebecca Romijn said the above line in a recent interview with Startrek.com We are definitely going to see the Bridge of the Enterprise.

pst likes this.
  8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Don't screw it up too badly, guys. Just make it look enough like the original so I don't spend the rest of that evening sighing.

lawman, ATimson, saddestmoon and 5 others like this.
  9. F. King Daniel

Take your hopes.

Put them....

...about here. Then, whatever you see, all will be good.

10. cooleddie74

Yeah, I'm not expecting very much.

BillJ likes this.
  11. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it's not too much more different than the exterior is, I'll probably like it just fine. The exterior and the uniforms are close enough that if I take off my glasses and squint a little, I can barely tell the difference.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Gooseneck viewers: sigh or no sigh?

Firebird and F. King Daniel like this.
  13. cooleddie74

I give that one sigh and two printers.

BillJ likes this.
  14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

What are the limits: nearly the Cage bridge to redress of Shenzhou's bridge?

15. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

shenzhou bridge is already redressed as the section 31 ship's bridge... seems hard to believe they'd spend the money to create a new set for the enterprise, but also hard to believe shenzhou could do double duty this season.

16. F. King Daniel

I doubt they'll need a full bridge set. I expect the equivalent of what they built for "Relics", the chair, helm/nav and one or two consoles behind. I'm guessing it'll be seen in the season finale when a restored Enterprise comes over the hill phasers blazing to save the day.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Ronald Held and Phoenix219 like this.
  17. Tuskin38

There's a redesigned Captain's chair in the opening of Season 2.

18. Styleset

I am confident we will see more of the Enterprise's interiors.

19. Tuskin38

20. Styleset

Yeah, they are telegraphing it to us: "Just wait!" I honestly think that if it's well enough received by super fans and intrigues enough new fans, we should expect another back door Pike spinoff.

lawman likes this.