USS Enterprise (eventually) on Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by EJD1984, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    To be fair, I'm not saying it fits perfectly, just that they retconed all those things, for better or worse.

Personally I'm irritated by the use of site-to-site transporters and ridiculous holograms, but that's not the most important aspect of a TV show so I grudgingly let it slide.

starsuperion likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is plenty of evidence you’re just ignoring it because it doesn’t fit your view

JoeP likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, there's just suppositions (which you're presenting as facts because they fit your view) as I explained here

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  4. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it was a mistake, and the actor didn't realize he was supposed to be hologram when he sat on the desk, or the director.

Even I sometimes forget whether I'm a hologram or not.

Kor, Gonzo and lawman like this.
  5. Belz...

I get that feeling all the time.

Gonzo and Prax like this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's technically possible in TOS, just considered extremely dangerous.

Also, I'm not claiming a perfect fit either, but much like TMP and TNG it fits close enough for my liking and world building.

7. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I usually just see that as "mistakes" like they happen all the time on television. We once saw the Enterprise fire phasers from it's photon torpedoe bay, and things that are technically possible in one episode (quantum dating) are impossible in another.

I don't like that, but as long as it's not universe-breaking, I have no problems with it. I just wish they wouldn't repeat that. I have no problem with 3d hologram communcation (just think it's a bit impractial), but the "Holodeck" with buttons and multiple rooms was borderline for me - I accept it now, but if they continue to use it that way, I'll get annyoed. The site-to-site transportation should IMO never have happened. Especially not inside the ship as if it were nothing: For me, that was an obvious mistake, someone not doing their homework. It can happen. But it shouldn't happen again.

Longinus and lawman like this.
  8. Belz...

Ugh, that reminds me of how irritated I was back when the pilot for DS9 aired and at the battle of Wolf 359 the Saratoga fired phasers from its lower sensor dome. I've mellowed since then.

Rahul likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

They did fix the Ent-D’s phaser issues in TNG remastered IIRC

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

It’s still possible to assume that the Enterprise looked exactly like it did in “The Cage” (2254), got refitted due to Klingon War needs (2256), and will return to its original/previous configuration between 2257 and 2264. Future technology.

In STO, for instance, most ships are extremely modular and can be visually rearranged and re-azteced on a whim at every major shipyard.

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure it could have been refit for the war for combat then back for exploration. Seems expensive in time, and we never heard about the 1701 being in that war.

starsuperion and Markonian like this.
  12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Although to be fair we never heard about the Klingon War of 2256-57 period until DSC. ;) And it wasn't until 2001 that we learned there was a Starfleet ship named Enterprise prior to the NCC-1701.

Markonian likes this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And? Expensive? Isn't this supposed to be Star Trek were resources and money are less of a consideration?

Also, the Klingon War is pretty much an unexplored part of lore, so all bets are off. Not like we saw (or heard about) the entire 5 year mission of Kirk's run, much less PIke's.

Markonian likes this.
  14. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. Part of why I accept the Disco-prise (despite it not really being my favourite design) is that the main difference is that potatoe-peeler nacelle strut configuration. But! Ever since TMP, I always assumed the engines of the Enteprise (and the struts with them) could be removed and exchanged like airplane turbines. Which would make a lot of sense for an exploration vessel: After a five year mission, those might simply be burned out, and be replaced with newer, faster ones.

The rest of the differences (neck height, landing tongue on shuttle bay) are miniscule, it's easy to pretend they are the "same". (Only the bridge window still annoys me - but that's an entirely different topic...)

See, I'm a cinema purist/snob here, though! I think that mistake should have stayed in there. It's part of Star Trek's history. I don't like retroactively changing shit so that it fits better with what came afterwards. I still hate there is no legal way to see the original Star Wars trilogy. Idon't like that they cut the nudity and changed the spaceship in the re-release of Stargate SG-1's pilot.

The mistakes and rough edges are part of the work for me - I dont ever want to see "James R. Kirk" in WNMHGB replaced, or somebody dubbing "Federation" over the "UESPA" in the early TOS episodes. Yes, sometimes that doesn't fit with continuity. And this instance was obviously a mistake. But no, I don't think it should have been replaced. It should have stayed, for the integrity of the original art.

lawman likes this.
  15. Belz...

Yes, I'm sure it's more rational to think that they rebuild the Enterprise completely every couple of years than to accept a retroactive change in the franchise.

16. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

For irreconcilable situations, I employ Orwell’s doublethink: accept whatever you see currently as being correct, but ignoring it when seeing something conflicting with it.

However, I prefer continuity, so the frequent refits are my go-to for the time being. The Kelvin Enterprise was also rebuilt in a similar fashion in a small amount of time.

17. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Ah the TOS 2.0 Enterprise, not quite Kelvin, not quite TOS. 25% different rule in effect in that design. Not sure how I feel about the Nacelles..not sure how I will accept this supposed version of the TOS universe..

Still feels like a reboot to me.

18. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately will see what form the 1701 has when DSC gets to 2266.

19. Tuskin38

I doubt they’ll make any drastic changes if they make any at all.

This is the new 1701

JoeP likes this.
  20. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd hope they add the little balls on the ends of the nacelles.

Arpy, ITDUDE, Ronald Held and 3 others like this.