USA distribution -CBS All Access discussion

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by jefferiestubes8, Sep 6, 2016.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Sources
    http://cordcuttersnews.com/cbs-access-moves-movies/
    http://www.treknews.net/2017/04/18/cbs-all-access-adds-star-trek-films/
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/cbs-all-access-adds-trek-films.287374/
    http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/cbs-...s-streaming-selection-without-telling-anyone/
    18 films total including
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, Generations and First Contact,

Hmm a good move but I bet these 5 Trek movies are gone before season 2 starts and replaced by others in the Trek franchise.
    I wonder if they will have the awful digital noise reduction used on the 2009 Blu-ray set for waxy-looking faces?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Good movies I guess but no Khaaaaaaan? No nuTrek? Why not include them all?

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Perhaps there is a licensing kerfuffle going on with some of the Trek movies, which I believe are all still owned by Paramount, not CBS. Such things happen from time to time, which I think is why they disappear for long periods from Netflix. None of that nonsense ever makes any sense to me. All that back-room lawyering malarkey... :)

4. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Yeah it's just a licensing issue. Paramount more than likely doesn't sell licensing for all the Trek movies in one package -- they probably dole them out. IMHO, I think when it comes to the Trek movies, better just to own them on blu-ray than watch them whenever they happen to pop up on a streaming service. Better picture quality that way too.

Amaris, BillJ and 137th Gebirg like this.
  5. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I watch them bounce around from streaming service to streaming service, and I don't think I've ever seen all of the original timeline movies in the same service at the same time. At the very least there are one or two missing.

137th Gebirg and Balok's Decoy like this.
  6. jefferiestubes8

Just this week CBSAA mentioned how many subscribers are paying for the advertising-free tier:
    Source
    That may change with Trek fans when DSC starts...
    They plan to do deals with Showtime and CBSAA for June which may also have different ad-free packages as well.

7. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

HAI GUYS! Late to the party where everyone is an expert - has anyone brought up how Grand Tour (released weekly) broke pretty much every record for streaming on Amazon?

KennyB, BillJ and { Emilia } like this.
  8. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure someone did, probably right before they pointed out that Amazon still loses money on streaming, as did Netflix until this very year. They probably also pointed out the differences in subscriber numbers from all access to Amazon, and then listed all the failed streaming services from the last couple of years.

Discovery's American numbers are irrelevant. It's Netflix that this will live and die by.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ CBS working with Netflix is the real strength of the show. I have no idea what CBS has to spend to run their streaming service but I doubt STD alone will make that venture profitable. However I imagine the subscription numbers they expect will make the show itself profitable and Netflix is icing on the cake.

10. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Netflix is the cake, not the icing. They paid the entire production budget (coincidence that several cast members are also on shows on Netflix and part of their metadata?).

CBS All Access is too late to the game. Unless National Amusements wants to lose billions of dollars for years (like Netflix did and Amazon is doing) it will never amount to anything and will eventually be ignored as a second run theater to replace physical sales or folded into an existing streaming service.

Hell, Discovery and the good fight might be made solely to get people to subscribe to all access and stop buying big bang theory DVD's.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Icing may of been an understatement but the American subs CBS are talking about if true is alot of money against the show but like I said it will NOT make the All Access thing a profit, I am talking soley about the show itself. Netflix not only boosts that's revenue heavily, it's a very important safety net if/when sub numbers drop for STD as live audiences erode on network TV for shows. The longer STD goes on (especially if All Access flounders) the more important that Netflix deal becomes.

12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Count me among those not subscribing until Discover premiers.

TrekE likes this.
  13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    Um, we're talking Discovery here - not the release/premiere of TNG back in 1987. ;)

Amaris, cultcross, KennyB and 4 others like this.
  14. jefferiestubes8

As I posted months ago
    Now it is available:

Timed with Twin Peaks series...
    All leading up to the CBS Shareholder meeting Friday May 19.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/15614080/cbs-all-access-showtime-subscription-bundle

15. jefferiestubes8

USA Network has a new show that is a structured deal like STDSC.
    http://deadline.com/2017/05/damnation-drama-picked-up-series-usa-network-1202091845/

so instead of USA Network it is CBS All Access in USA territory with rights. This Damnation show may be interesting to follow to see how much Netflix is involved in the series and promotion compared to DSC within the USA and in International/foreign.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Spider likes this.
  17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Folks said the same thing about the Fox Network. No one knows how this will play out. It could be successful or not.

Squiggy and KennyB like this.
  18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hate to argue semantics yet again, but Netflix did not pay for Discovery, the sale of Discovery to Netflix internationally covered the costs, and then some. There is a bit of a difference. Subscriptions alone should pay for the majority of season 2, not counting any 2nd season rights Netflix paid for.

RAMA

19. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I save on my cable bill by not having cable. LOL. Everything I get is through Amazon or my Amazon Fire device, which has CBS all access on it. Showtime and HBO content is available on Amazon, along with a bunch of good stuff from The Great Courses which I have a subscription to. Add an HD antenna for football season and it's all I need and life is simple. I don't even have Netflix anymore, although that might change because they have some interesting original content.

BillJ likes this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, clearly the sky is falling ;)

KennyB likes this.