Untitled Star Trek - Discovery project

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Visitor1982, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainXaviOfEarth

CaptainXaviOfEarth Commander Red Shirt

There are so so so many rules and regulations in place to stop this happening. Which is why it doesn’t.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What rules and regulations?

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I believe that the wrath of Khan was actually produced by Paramounts television division.

Firebird and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The ones he made up.

5. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd probably just laugh if they announce a Discovery movie. They can't be that stupid. Barely anyone will care.

6. TPezz

TPezz Commander Red Shirt

Unless the movie is based on Discovery era Pike and the Enterprise, I really cant see a movie happening. Most seasons are one long movie anyway.

Turtletrekker and Lord Garth like this.
  7. CaptainXaviOfEarth

IATSE. SAG. MPAA. WGA. DGC. They’d all take issue, if you take a TV episode and then released it as a movie. For different reasons. For CW superhero shows, it’s this one.

For Star Trek and it’s supervising guilds and unions, I’d say unless CBS is prepared to go back and give everyone a pay rise up to movie rates for whatever episodes they convert into films, you won’t get TV episodes getting a theatrical release beyond special events. Crew rates for movies made in Ontario are significantly more than TV rates, which is why Hollywood movies don’t really get made there.

(I saw Sherlock and Game of Thrones finales in cinema, but they were just TV episodes shown in cinema as one-offs. Not movie edits.)

8. CaptainXaviOfEarth

The crew for Star Trek: Discovery also know how to make films. The camera and lighting units are filming the new Roland Emmerich film Moonfall.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

None of that really had anything to do with what I was talking about.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fixed that for you.

11. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

C'mon, really?

12. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. JoseNoodles

Coronavirus or COVID-19 work just fine.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Covid-19

15. valkyrie013

Wuhan SARS-CoV-2 virus..

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds about right.

17. JoseNoodles

I'm sure you spent all of 1 minute coming up with that. Give yourself a pat on the back for your hard work and finish that half-eaten snicker on your shirt. You know what, fuck it, lick the stain too. You deserve it. Just don't go too far down, not all the brown is chocolate.

I find it funny the working title of a Star Trek show would be the actual title of an older Star Trek show.

18. CaptainXaviOfEarth

I think the older show has little brand value, so to have a 2nd series called exactly the same thing isn't an issue. "They've made a new season of Enterprise? Will the old characters appear?" is the extent of brand confusion, but the moment they see it's a show about the 1701 Enterprise with Spock in it, that confusion is gone, and it's only a small number of the audience that would get confused in the first place and not the target audience. For the vast majority of the audience, they likely never watched ENT in the first place.

CaptainMichaelJaneway likes this.
  19. valkyrie013

@JoseNoodles actually looked it up so a few minutes.. Btw.. I can call it whatever I want.. As a nice personal middle finger to China.. Oh.. Also..Nice personal attack..

Back on subject..
    Star Wars has a history of draging up old characters and stuff so why not star trek? Until it's anuonced we don't know what it'll be called

20. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somewhat archaic thinking there, given movies regularly go straight to streaming services these days, even award-winning ones :)

Now, people are free to take shots at INS, but that statement is whack haha.

Pure nonsense. CBS will not put a different show out in the public domain that carries the same name as ENT. Not a chance.

As far as the “vast majority of the audience” having not watched ENT, that’s also pure nonsense. By and large, these shows are mostly hitting existing Trek fans, which is why they’ve popped them behind a paywall to get some of that DTC dollar. And, quite frankly, ENT has viewing figures to its name that none of the current Trek shows will have ever achieve first run in North America, so to claim that the target audience will be unfamiliar with the show is pure rubbish.

In fact, I’d be very surprised if either Discovery or Picard are getting viewing figures in the US (in their first three days) that are significantly higher than what ENT was getting in its final two seasons.

Different world now, so expectations for success are different, but to try and make the claim that these new shows are being aimed at an audience that won’t have seen Enterprise is nuts.

Dukhat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.