Uniform Differences

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by EJD1984, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is not Photoshopped. As PowderToastMan suggested, this is not the only source of information that Trekmovie.com and others have as to the outfits. People have seen them.

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Being somewhat knowledgeable about he way light works, it looks to me that the woven pattern will be visible depending or the angle of light striking the surface. So while at some angles, this woven pattern may not be noticeable in the film, I believe when the light is at shallow angles to the surface of the fabric (such as in Sulu's and Scotty's pics) the delta pattern will be somewhat predominant.

Now, I don't really care if it's logical or not. I don't really care about that. If it looks cool, which I think it does, I'm all for it. Let's face it, the TOS uniforms are pretty plain jane, as was the Enterprise, so if both have more detail, so much the better.

3. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This will likely be the only thing I'm gonna say on this topic since it matters not a jot to me one way or the other.

Simple creative choice is justification enough for the costumer and Abrams to choose to include this pattern no matter how it got there. That's all you need to know to understand the why? There need not and probably isn't a "logical" justification anyway and need not be any offered. Such is part of the creative process.

Very often on films in prop making and costuming there are always little details included that get lost on screen but are there anyway because it is creatively satisfying to those involved in the production to add that those details.

Sharr

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

From a recent interview with Rick Baker (makeup and critters for Star Wars and now the upcoming The Wolf Man):

Sometimes that's just as important, because it keeps those guys going. It keeps them sharp at what they do. I imagine it's the same thing with costumers.

5. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Perfect example, very well said.

6. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

There's no "logical reason" for the Romulans to put little squares all over their uniforms either. It's just a fabric. There doesn't need to be a reason.

And in the 23rd century, custom fabric patterns could be all the rage. Plus, you know, easy to make. What with the advanced technology and all.

Just think of the advancements there will be in the textile industry 300 years from now! :lol:

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

^Fo'sho (TM).

Besides, all this bitching and moaning over the pattern in the uniform fabric is silly. Then again this is the Trekbbs. Movies often put in tiny details that may or may not be seen in order to create a world that seems "real" enough. It's an aesthetic choice like Meyer having Khan wear only one glove throughout TWOK.

8. PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan Commodore Commodore

i did not suggest it, i stated it.

9. cbp44189

cbp44189 Commander Red Shirt

If you look at the US Marine Corp's new digital camo, you will see little globe and anchors in the pattern.

10. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

did you like the logo all over the crew uniforms

11. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

Hmm, I never payed a whole attietion to that, and I seen the movie 9 times! Anyways, I know in some of the pictures (scenes) you can see the delta sheild in Spock's uniform. But you have to look very closley because Spock's uniform seems to be darker than McCoy's. I guess when the movie comes out on dvd/blu ray I have to watch it again, and see for myself.

12. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

What a way to bring this thing back!!! :rommie:

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thread Necro!

Anyhoo, I love the new uniform patterns. Lots of great detail shows me they worked very hard to make this movie feel more realistic, and that's always appreciated.

J.

14. startrekrcks

why the logo all over the jumpers not saying that I don't like the new uniforms.

15. Amaris

Visual aesthetic.

J.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Please don't bump threads which have been inactive for more a year. For a good rule of thumb, limit it to threads which have been dormant for six months or less, and then only when you have something of substance to add.

In general, I think also that you're overdoing the "do you like" or "why don't you like"/"why can't you accept"-type posts. Please try to avoid posting the same thing over and over in many threads.

Closing.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

18. startrekrcks

sorry why are you being so harsh with me I am entitled to post

19. Amaris

You're not entitled to anything. You're here as a guest. You have to follow board rules. When you do, things go smoothly. When you don't, Spiff eats your soul. Just ask M'Sharak. It's why he's green. :devil:

J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.