Tropes that movies, etc. use that you hate.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by valkyrie013, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

How's this for a trope:

On any version of L&O...everything always comes back to Olivia Benson, who is an absolutely perfect saint who can do no wrong. Other detectives can and do make mistakes but Benson sure as hell can't. Everything she does is right, without question.

Hell, even in a L&O series that shouldn't involve Benson (like Organized Crime), they find a way to shoehorn her in there! :lol:

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I still can't believe that goody-two-shoes made Captain before Sylvvia Van Buren...

3. Mr. Laser Beam

You're thinking of Anita Van Buren.

Sylvia was from War of the Worlds. :D

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I stand corrected. Shoulda just said Lieutenant Van Buren. It makes the same point.

5. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Monk does that pretty well to.

6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't watch much of Monk, but one episode I did see part of shocked the hell out of me. Monk was in a prison, visiting a nemesis, who was a corpulent man lying on a bed that Monk was verbally dueling with. The actor looked familiar, and I could tell the face and fatsuit were makeup and props, but I couldn't figure out who he was. Then he said something telltale and I said "Holy shit, that's Tim Curry!"

7. Mr. Laser Beam

In honor of David Lynch's birthday I put forth a trope of his:

A plot where I can't understand a damn thing about what's going on. :lol:

Except for Dune, of course.

Admiral2 and Farscape One like this.
  8. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

This has probably anyway been mentioned, but the ol' "I practiced it once and now I'm perfect at it," trope. Similarly, the no learning curve trope. Hawkeye, I'm looking at you. Also you, Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. And Book of Boba Fett.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  9. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

"I need to talk to you"
    Pause
    "Alone"

Random_Spock and Admiral2 like this.
  10. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Oh I forgot about that one! Of course! Especially for anything artistic or creative. You don't need to practice or hone your technique, you just have to feeeeeeel it.

scotpens and Admiral2 like this.
  11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, how about this one: Cartoon characters who end up in the real-world. One of the worst offenders of this is the first Smurfs movie. With a property with long decades of history, with being out of the spotlight for so long, instead of giving whole new audiences exposure to the smurf world, they inexplicably decide that the best thing to do would be to have the Smurfs visit our world. So, an out of context version of the Smurfs is the first thing they see. On top of that is the complex contrivance they've had to think up to have the Smurfs be in our world, because the problem with the concept is that you end up spending so much time and energy explaining anything away just to have it happen instead of just having a movie set in their own world. And now I see the latest attempt at this kind of thing is with the Rescue Rangers. Just why? It doesn't work. :confused: :sigh:

wayoung likes this.
  12. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't forget, everything they were in previously was just a Tv show/movie so now they can cross over with all the other popular IP owned by the studio.

13. Owain Taggart

In Rescue Rangers? Yeah, I saw that. Makes even less sense. It's like a way to remind audiences that other Disney properties exist too!

14. wayoung

Rescue Rangers specifically, but also in general. Lots of things going the Meta route to mine IP.

15. Owain Taggart

Ahh fair point. I guess I just never noticed before. Sometimes it's done subtly, but in the case of Rescue Rangers, they're really drawing attention to it.

16. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you talking about CHIP 'N DALE'S RESCUE RANGERS?

I remember that cartoon as a kid. It was fun.

17. wayoung

Yeah, the trailer for the reboot dropped today. New movie has the show as a TV show but cartoon characters are real a la Roger Rabbit so that they can throw as much Disney IP into the movie as possible (Space Jam 2, Free Guy, Ready Player One, etc) and also have the celebrity voice actors perform in their reg voices and have the voices we know from the characters as their character voices.

18. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The mid movie montage set to music.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

As for this trope, I'll just let Bill Burr take over...

Farscape One likes this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The interrupted wedding. Aside from romantic comedies where that is a part of the larger theme, I cannot stand weddings in most stories. It feels packed with clichés that make it hard to care.

BK613 likes this.