Tropes that movies, etc. use that you hate.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by valkyrie013, Nov 3, 2021.

1. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

The earlier discussion of overhearing conversations reminded me of another one I hate that's most commonly seen in crime shows: When an informant calls one of the heroes saying they have vital info to give them, but it's too sensitive to give over the phone, so they arrange to meet in person and then get killed by the villain before they can deliver the info.

If you think the bad guys are able to intercept your call, why would you let them hear when and where you're going to be? Just whistleblow and run.

cultcross, Westie1701 and Admiral2 like this.
  2. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

The characters see a story about a local crime or murder in a newspaper, it's the top story on the front page and the headline type is the size they'd use for Pearl Harbor or the Kennedy assassination.

cultcross and Westie1701 like this.
  3. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Tough to do these days when no one reads newspapers anymore.

Westie1701 likes this.
  4. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

5. Westie1701

Westie1701 Captain Captain

I really miss the old "spinning newspaper" trope...

[​IMG]

6. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    Alternative realities, newspapers. It’s all one.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Started watching Wentworth recently, the Australian prison drama, and was shocked at how many prison tropes were in the first episode. They didn't take their time, but got right down to business, but it also makes me wonder how they could have kept things fresh for 8 seasons at that rate. Drug smuggling: check. Prison riot: check, staff being killed: check, etc. It almost felt like it tried to do too much during that one episode. Felt like saying, Whoa, slow down!

galleywest likes this.
  8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

If it's a public TV show i guess the soap drop in the shower was skipped?

9. Owain Taggart

I dunno. I'm assuming they eventually end up doing it, though they did have a strip search scene. They haven't even had a shower scene yet where I'm at, which I found surprising, although they did talk about them having showers. The other thing that really surprised me was the child in the prison, crib and all.

10. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

A frequent Star Trek trope is when some specialized information is needed and one of the characters already has it because, "20th Cenutury goat milking is a hobby of mine."

No it's not. Shut up, Tom Paris.

11. galleywest

galleywest I'll get you, and your little dog too! Premium Member

What's the idea behind it anyway? To add some kind of intimate, low budget feel, as though the audience doesn't know they're watching a movie that cost a kajillion dollars to make that used 17 cameras at different angles for each shot and then edited them 47 times?

Westie1701 likes this.
  12. galleywest

galleywest I'll get you, and your little dog too! Premium Member

I have many least favorite movie/tv tropes tied for most annoying. One of them is how groups that survive the apocalypse always seem to be comprised of only useful members, with no crossover skills. Always someone good at shooting long distance, someone good at hand to hand combat, an electrician, an amazing driver, a medical doctor, someone who works for intelligence (knows the right people, knows where to go, knows a safe house, etc.), and an all purpose scientist who knows everything from botany to nuclear physics. It's never like a window washer, a hand model, a bank teller, and a hairdresser.

Westie1701 and auntiehill like this.
  13. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

Might I suggest the series Last Man on Earth?

Westie1701 and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  14. Owain Taggart

I think it started with the Blair Witch Project, with the idea behind lost footage of a bunch of friends doing a home video. For the most part, I think it has its uses, such as in travel-logs, but I agree that it's overused now. One of the best uses I've seen is in Master & Commander with the sword fight. It was chaotic and it was hard to figure out what was happening, but that's precisely why they used it, because it was happening so fast.

Westie1701 likes this.
  15. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Captain Captain

Found footage material was definitely popularized by The Blair Witch Project, but shaky cam stuff was already around in high profile properties. NYPD Blue began 6 years before Blair Witch, in 1993, and its signature style was the hand held shaky cam, setting it apart from the other police shows on the air and their style of the previously standard use of steadicam rigs.

Westie1701 likes this.
  16. Owain Taggart

Ok, fair enough. I never watched that show, so I'm quite ignorant of it. Didn't realized it used shaky cam! That's actually quite interesting. That would mean Blair Witch is when it really took off.

17. JoaquinSlowly

Blair Witch is without a doubt what made found footage popular, but it wasn’t the first breakout shaky can film. The term goes as far back as the early ‘80s, when directors like Sam Raimi and the Coen Brothers were noted for using the style in movies like Evil Dead, Blood Simple and Raising Arizona. And they were emulating ‘60s directors like John Cassavetes, who used the style as far back as ‘62, when it was called the "shaky camera" style by the avant-garde master Jonas Mekas.

And NYPD Blue had a ton of immitators on television, with other hit shows like ER that followed using hand held cameras instead of steadicams.

Even in terms of blockbuster movies, Saving Private Ryan was a huge film who’s action sequences used shaky cam, and was released a year before Blair Witch.

Again, ‪‪I agree completely that TBWP changed things, and had a big influence, but hand held camera work predates it in both influential and popular works by many years.

Westie1701 likes this.
  18. Owain Taggart

Ok, well you sure schooled me :D Had no idea it was in use as early as the 60's. That's kind of crazy to think about.

19. JoaquinSlowly

‪‪It’s bonkers how long some aspects of filmmaking have been around, and everything seems to have phases where popularity rises and wanes. Like lens flares weren’t anything new when JJ Abrams came around, but just like Blair Witch helping bring shaky cam shooting back to the forefront, he helped make those flares more popular for sure.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Westie1701 likes this.
  20. Owain Taggart

Yeah, the phases in 3D are one of the most obvious, because of the changing technology of course. It's fun to think of how older movies were done. Was watching the Alistair Sims version of A Christmas Carol recently and it made me wonder how they had the ghosts appear, because surely they didn't have chroma-keying back then?