Torchwood: Children of Earth DAY FOUR grading thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Jim Steele, Jul 9, 2009.

?

Day Four: Cor! or Bore?

1. Get me a whore

53 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. Get me a kleenex

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Get me a lager

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Get me a sick bag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Get me a shotgun

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Because it was about seeing if they could get them to do it, not necessarily about the kids themselves?

2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Jack delivered twelve kids. The 456 said 'naw' to one of them. Their problem, not Jacks.

Anyway... ep was fantastic. A lot of stuff, a lot of tension and that whole board room sequence was brilliantly done.

Ianto... I'm gutted. Took the man so long to find his balls and he's dead as a can of spam. I was awaiting and hoping for a reset that never came :(

What really got me though is that the complete anti-Who fan in the room refused to get up during the whole ep, cried at Ianto's death and - the biggie - has declared "Fuck Big Brother" and will be watching Torchwood tomorrow.

I. Have won. The war.

3. DaiAndy

DaiAndy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ha ha. I had a similar experience, the wife is now a Torchwood fan!!! :) Just need to work on Doctor Who now......

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

but could they not have asked for another kid instead of him?

5. EnsignYoshi

EnsignYoshi Commander Red Shirt

That makes it better? :confused:

6. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Anything is better than BB:p
    I know this is OT but was john barrowman on live and Kicking?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP0jgD0POOs&feature=related

7. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you serious? Are you that much of a fanboy that you'd cheapen what has, so far, been one of the best pieces of serious British Sci-Fi drama in a long while, just to fulfil some fanwank fantasy where Sarah Jane turns up with sonic fucking lipstick to help save the day?

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

They killed Into, the bastards!

Indeed. That was impressive and believeable. How they subsequently slided into fascism and no one said anything. I loved John Forbisher's facial expressions during this.

Yeah, me too. I was halfway expecting one at the end.

I wonder how they plan to resolve this in one episode? Or won't they? And end in a post-apocalyptic world? Maybe this is what a potential season 4 will be about?

9. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The real questions are:

Where the heck is Sarah-Jane Smith?

What effect are the 456 transmissions having on Luke Smith? (If any...)

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I didnt say it made it better, but sure seems to make the people at COBRA feel better.

im not going to say it was rubbish because Sarah Jane wasnt in it, im just wondering what she is doing, even since TSE/JE, its now nearly impossible for me not to wonder what Sarah Jane is doing during a Doctor Who or Torchwood episode.

Look like it or not Children of Earth is set in the Whoverse, and part of that is Sarah Jane Smith and her super computer Mr Smith, who along with her genius adoptive son & a couple of her sons school friends, hunt aliens.

It seems very odd that the show asks us to both be totally engaged with Whoverse, but also ask us to totally forget about one part of it, a part of it, which could be alot of help.

Actually I dont think there is much Sarah Jane could do, other than what Jack tried to do, and that would only end up getting herself killed, but you know what it would be nice to know that she is not just sitting back & having a tea party, whilst everything is going on around her.

At the very least she will be able to watch what Torchwood can see via the lenses, and Mr Smith can do some digging into 1965, if they work it out or not is not important, but we should know what she tried to help.

Hell Jack knows all about Sarah Jane & Mr Smith, why did he not ask for her help when Torchwood was blown up and they first arrived in London.

Hell given that Mr Smith has previous put a forcefield around the house that bounced a asteroid off (if I recall it correctly) he could have stopped the 456 getting into Thames House in the first, however its possible Sarah Jane & Mr Smith would not have known the 456 would do that, but im sure they could do alot to help.

She is going to be doing SOMETHING why are we not allowed to find out what?

I would guess the 456 tank is deadlock sealed, and even if Mr Smith could find the ship in orbit, there is not a whole lot that can be done about that, unless UNIT have some missiles that can hit something in earths orbit.

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Luke & the gang are well into puberty so it wont be effecting the gang. Its lucky for the storyline that none of them have younger siblings, other wise, the absence of Sarah Jane would seem even odder.

Im going to quote Poobala spin-offs & crossover lists

im not saying he is right, but its an interesting thing to say, and if she is the protector of all the kids of England, they since the 456 are using & want to take children, then she should be doing something about it.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sarah Jane is extraneous to the point of: Shouldn't Mr Smith be able to find the 456's base of operations?

If they even have one? For all we know they're transmatting between planets, and there just might be one of them playing the long con, because it's super obvious that "it" sold earth a cure to a virus it itself created back in 1965, and this time they're not fucking about with pretence.

They want the kids noses.

These guys can't smell, and they just want an additional sense like we would want telepathy or all that bollocks Superman has.

13. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why can't you just accept it for what it is instead of trying to fanwank other elements of the Whoverse into it? Was the TARDIS circle jerk at the end of Journey's End not enough for you?

After all the flak that Torchwood has recieved over the last few years, we finally get the show we should have had from the start, and you're picking holes in it because it isn't going out of its way to involve Sarah Jane??

Do me a lemon. :rolleyes:

14. Guy Gardener

In her own show, on her own time, THERE, I would like to see how she deals with being in the background to this crisis, y'know like how we saw L'nda edging around the cursory in NuWho well after the fact.

And yes, this is exactly how I imagined Torchwod from the beginning and I was pretty put out about the shortfall.

15. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best episode of this cycle, and the best episode of the series. In my opinion, one of the three best modern whonverse episodes.

I hate that Ianto died, but it was a wonderful death. What is funny is Ianto started out as the worst character on the show. But by the first few episodes of the 2nd season he was the character I liked the most.

But truly Jack needed to have his decision have an direct impact on himself, and while they have done wonders in giving his daughter resonance, we still aren't that attached to her. Ianto on the other hand is. It also helps show the depth of how serious this season is.

As a gay man there are almost no scifi characters that speak to me, and while both Jack and Ianto aren't technically gay, they are the closest thing that scifi has produced. And I fear a season 4 that puts the omnisexual Jack with a women (even if that does fit his character, and it damn well better not be Gwen). I also loved that Jack couldn't tell Ianto that he loved him (we don't know if he does, or if he truly feels he can love anyone). I loved that he didn't want to here Ianto say he loved him (as if he isn't worthy of love, due to all his numerous questionable activities throughout his long life).

I do have one hope (though its doubtful with so little time left). I would like Jack to break protocol and tell Ianto's family that he died. To give them closure. I would also like to see him admit vocally how much he cared about him.

16. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just in case anyone cares, I was totally kidding about SJS and Luke... maybe it'll get referenced during the next SJA series, but if not... Oh well.

Ianto dead = Heartbreaking.

17. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Poor Ianto. It made me tear up. But I understand it had to happen. I can't help but think Gwen's sad look wasn't just about Ianto dying, but about the entire Torchwood team that she got to know is now all dead. First Suzie, then Owen and Tosh, and now Ianto. Only Jack remains, because Jack cannot die. And if she and Rhys and Lois become part of Torchwood, how long until they're all dead too?

18. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Gobsmacked, and can't fucking wait for the final part. Never mind the whore, bring me 10 Dundee slags!

Ianto. No. I refuse to accept it. No!

This.

This is Torchwood, ffs. Let it be a TORCHWOOD story.

Some of the fanboy comments are fucking retarded:
    http://unrealityshout.com/blogs/torchwood-newsflash-ianto-jones-dead

What. The. Fuck.

"He's gay, you can't kill him!"

19. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Indeed. And he was a later host of The Movie Game. :bolian:
    Perhaps now is the time to fully recruit PC Andy? :D

20. Guy Gardener

Andy has the same skillset as gewn. he'd be redundant.

Although?

The cell didn't work.

Jack needs an army.

rebuild Torchwood under a completely new paradigm.

A literal army to tell the other powers that he can fuck them up with manpower as easily as cool points.