Top Gear New Series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I preferred both the Polar and Vietnam specials.

That's not to say the Botswana challenge was bad by any stretch (OLIVER!!!!!), but I just hope they have a great challenge set up for this season (trying to remain spoiler-free, so I only know the absolute basics of what they have planned).

2. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Oliver. Legend. :)

3. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And he turned up in tonight's show by way of mention. Clarkson said he and the Stig were the two whose opinion on cars mattered the most. Also a chance to put down May and Hammond, but I'm sure it was Needell he was thinking of first :p

Not a bad start to the new series, pretty much going from where they left on in the last series. Nowt wrong with that, special mention must go to the Romania camera man and pilot and the Dacia Sandero! :lol:

4. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent start to the new season...in glorious HD no less.

I'm definitely biased for the episodes that are basically a big travelogue for some exotic place or a killer road (like the Stelvio Pass from Season 10), but this one came together nicely and never felt like it was rushed or, oppositely, dragged (unlike some segments in the previous season). I didn't see the Sandero thing coming at all and nearly jumped out of my seat when it got hit by the trailer. Also much to my surprise, James genuinely seemed to like the car which is a nice change from the Beetle in Botswana or the Ameri-bike in Vietnam.

Ah, Top Gear, how I've missed you. It's good to have you back. :D

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

^ And Eric Bana was a down to earth and charming guest, as well. Seems like a truly nice bloke.

:D

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I enjoyed that far more than The Waters of Mars! :lol:

7. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

The 9pm start time is a killer for me - I'm up at 5am for work! I might end up having to watch it after the fact on iPlayer (good thing the BBC are bringing out a fixed version for the Wii this week!).

Enjoyed the episode, although my attention did start to wander a bit in the middle.

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I missed the last 10 minutes or so, I thought it was recording but I'd just left the channel on when Doctor Who Confidential finished.

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

The Romania report was boring imo - yeah yeah the Ferrari is nice, bla bla, and so are the other cars, *yawn* Dacia Sandero crash, what a surprise...

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Eric bana was cool - and with that hairstyle and his native accent, why the fuck isn't *he* the new Mad Max?

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Awesome ep. I loved the Romania segment and it makes sense that May liked the Dacia... in a way it's quite similar to his Fiat Panda. Simple car that still does everything you need to it. And of course Eric Bana was cool... he's always cool. ;)

12. Roger Wilco

I liked May's test of the BMW and the Mercedes btw. especially since after the segment finished he and Clarkson - in best Top Gear fashion - dismissed the whole thing and the cars as pointless and unneeded. :lol:

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I actually agree with that. If you're gonna be driven around by a driver something like an S350 is good enough. And if you're gonna drive it yourself either of the RS6/M5/E55 AMG bunch make a lot more sense.

14. Roger Wilco

I have no clue what all those abbreviations mean. ;)

15. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the black car James was driving... what? :lol:

16. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

All of them are hardcore versions of cars from Audi (A6 -> RS6), BMW (5 series -> M5), and Mercedes Benz (E series -> E55 AMG).

17. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Eric Bana was a great guest. "Does this show air in America? No? Then sure I've turned down films to go driving!"

Excellent start to the series. And there was no 'coming up' segment either which I quite like. And I didn't see the Dacia smash-up coming at all for once - I guessed something would happen but...

18. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Good episode. Disappointed that they didn't have they preview bit, but apparently that's because they haven't filmed four of the big things for the season yet. I just want to see if the Camaro is on this season or not! :scream:

19. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was expecting (and hoping) for a piano :) But then the Dacia seemed like a decent car and not at all like a Morris Marina.

Here's hoping there's another piano drop on a Marina this series. I like the idea of Marina fanatics scrambling the country to hide them from Clarkson, Hammond and May :lol:

20. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Jeremy's hat. It seemed to suit him.