Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kaych, Nov 28, 2008.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Non-canon sources I've read list Pike's original birth year as 2215, making him 39 during "The Cage" and 52 in "The Menagerie." That would have allowed for Pike to be almost a generation older than Kirk and still be old enough to command the Enterprise at roughly the same age(if a tad older)than Kirk.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, it's pretty difficult to invent ways by which the new movie could contradict the old factoids even if it tried its evil best...

TOS was never strong on continuity, or on nailing things down. While later shows have tried to "assist" it in this respect, most of the ideas are still floating pretty freely, especially around the timeframes of this new movie.

Timo Saloniemi

3. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

Looking forward to this, kelvin does look great, hope it fights well too :) :techman:

4. cooleddie74

I forsee a slew of Kelvin spinoffs in the novels and fan films. All set before the Nero attack, of course, but helping flesh out George Kirk and the early 23rd century a lot more.

5. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

The Kevin is a nice and cute little ship :)

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG] LITTLE ?? :klingon:

7. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

But it is much bigger then your hair. :bolian:

8. cooleddie74

[​IMG]

"Who temporally displaces ya, baby?"

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

THE BADASS GLARE OF DEATH!

Oh sorry. This isn't the Spock thread, is it?

10. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I hope when we eventually see Captain Robau in action he is able to meet our high expectations. :lol:

I mean, surely, a captain as badass as Robau deserves to command a dreadnought cruiser and not some wussy little science vessel like the Kelvin.

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

"What does Captain Robau need with a starship?"

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus if he did command a dreadnough he would be required to save that day every time. Which really wouldn't leave him with that much free time.

13. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

OK, I'm getting Kelvin-ed out. I mean, this ship is here and gone in the first 10 minutes of the film, while all we've seen so far of the most important ship in the film is one pic from a bad angle. I think it's time for more Enterprise stuff to come out. This is like having a complete crew rundown and tons of pics of the star destroyer from the opening scene of A New Hope, while knowing little about the principal characters or ships from the rest of the film. I'm ready for more now.

14. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Mendez did say that Pike was about Kirk's age, though, which would have made him even younger than Kirk when he was captain.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

When Captain Robau is in command, even a "wussy little science ship" is to be feared. Watch out, Nero. Your Space Octopus days are numbered!

17. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, he said that...but it makes no sense.

We know that Kirk was in his early-to-mid 30s during The Menagerie, because a.) he looked like he was in his early-to-mid 30s, and b.) He said in a later episode that he was 34.

Therefore, since the events from Talos IV happened 13 years prior, then that would mean that Pike was in his early 20s -- possibly 20 or 21 -- during The Cage, and he clearly was not 20 or 21.

No...Either Mendez mis-spoke, Malachi Throne screwed-up his line, or the writers screwed up. Either way, I'll ignore that single statement because it seems so non-sequitur with the rest of what we learned about Pike in The Menagerie.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  18. cooleddie74

Picard was only 28 when he rose to become Stargazer captain in 2333, but that was an emergency field promotion after the previous captain was killed on duty. Kirk was promoted around the age of 30 or 31. John Harriman of the Enterprise-B is probably well into his thirties when we see him in GENERATIONS based in part on his line about having read about Kirk's original missions while still in grade school.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Mendez referring to the time that Pike was in command of the Enterprise? Meaning, Pike was the same age *then* as Kirk is *now*. Obviously it wouldn't work to literally have them be the same age, as Kirk was only a cadet (if that) during the events of 'Menagerie'.

20. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    ^^ Yeah -- I thought of this too, but when exactly would *then* be. At the time Mendez said that line, they did not even yet mention the Enterprise or the fact that Pike was once its Captain. They were not talking about a particular time in the past at that point in the conversation -- they were just talking about Pike.

That would be like me saying "President Bush -- he's about my age" when what I really mean to say is that President Bush was ONCE my age...well, yeah, if he is older than me then of course he was once my age.

EDIT TO ADD:

I went to the transcripts and found this:

MENDEZ: You ever met Chris Pike?
    KIRK: When he was promoted to Fleet Captain.
    MENDEZ: About your age. Big, handsome man, vital, active.
    KIRK: I took over the Enterprise from him. Spock served with him for several years.
    SPOCK: Eleven years, four months, five days.
    MCCOY: What's his problem, Commodore?
    MENDEZ: Inspection tour of a cadet vessel. Old Class J starship. One of the baffle plates ruptured.
    MCCOY: The delta rays?
    MENDEZ: He went in bringing out all those kids that were still alive. Just wanted you gentlemen to be prepared.

I suppose it is possible that Mendez meant that Pike was Kirk's age when Pike was promoted to fleet captain, but that doesn't really work either, since he lalready ooked older than Kirk during The Cage and was not yet Fleet Captain then.

I'll still go with Mendez (or Throne) mis-speaking...it happens.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008