TMP is the best film. It is not 'tedious' at all

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Spock's Eyebrow, Mar 19, 2020.

1. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Sure, no doubt, TMP is best appreciated on the big screen with multi-channel sound. Saw it that way, twice, in a great old single-screen theater (the Fox, center city Philadelphia, torn down 1980). The second time, especially, the script's weaknesses were emphasized. The effects and Goldsmith's music were very well crafted and were memorable in and of themselves, but these were not enough to balance out the deficiencies. Unfortunately the same is true of the Director's Edition, despite improvements in pacing, etc.

Grant likes this.
  2. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

Actually the 1970s style, ugly flared uniforms are the only thing that lets down the film for me and severely date it as a consequence. The uniforms they wore from TWOK to TUC are my favourite Trek uniform. But besides that, it had incredible effects for its time that still more or less hold up and probably has the best Trek movie score.

JaxsBrokenHeart and Qonundrum like this.
  3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

What part of the TMP uniforms are "flared"?

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

The TMP uniforms were way less flared (and flaired) than the TWOK ones.

I wonder if he's thinking the pants are like the ones from Space 1999.

Galileo7 and Qonundrum like this.
  5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I never understood the argument that costumes shouldn't distract from the actors (did Bob Wise say that?)

Why even have sets and props then XD

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Not the parts people were expecting! :guffaw:

CorporalCaptain and Galileo7 like this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

+
    =
    A-ha. Got it. :devil:

Galileo7 likes this.
  8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah Ilia's legs flashing all over the place. Who even needed that? The monster maroons were way better. And nobody wanted to see Kirk's guns again, if you know what I'm saying.

9. FcukTWOK

FcukTWOK Ensign Red Shirt

Me, for one. In any event Khambatta wasn't going to have that physique forever (her tragic early death notwithstanding) so she may as well have showed it off while she could.

10. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Adios

11. Pauln6

Hmm, it's almost like people have some sort of weird double standard... ;-p

Actually I don't dislike the TMP uniforms. The department colours make a lot more sense than TOS or TNG.

Shatner’s dress uniform generally garners the most praise, although it's hard to pin down exactly why. I think the collar makes it look more uniform-like, the trousers look better than all-in-one booties. The two-tone colour scheme is very reminiscent of TNG era uniforms.

I would be interested to see if the TMP uniforms could be made cooler if modernised along similar lines to TNG season 3 and Discovery.

Lord Garth likes this.
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the maroons are a bit more professional.

But, Ilia probe's outfit is irritating.

13. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

'The Motion Picture' is the best Star Trek movie. Best out of all Star Trek movies, not just TOS.

comsol, Admiral Archer and Galileo7 like this.
  14. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

I find the "belt buckle" computer modules for the Starfleet uniforms an interesting detail, makes TMP look more proto-TNG than all the following TOS films.

The uniforms generally looked too floppy (or too tight) and not pleasing to the eye, with the dull muted colours (also Kirk's other uniform made him look like a dentist or tennis player).

However the "American football" security gear and engineering NBC suits were good enough to be used for many more movies.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  15. TedShatner10

Also the trippy, OTT concept art for The Motion Picture will published soon, according to this article.

Pauln6 likes this.
  16. Pauln6

I do wish the security teams had been in red like in STIII, you know, to keep up the tradition.

Can't help wondering what that armour is meant to do. If it's that good, surely they should all be wearing it instead of jackets?

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Technically, the duty uniforms were reworked from TMP to the cadet uniforms in TWOK :)

[​IMG]

18. TedShatner10

I think most later Trek movie makers came away with the wrong lessons from TMP's failings and TWoK's successes (with a long line of petty, relatively dull villains like Nero, Ru'afro, Soran, Kruge, Khan 2.0, and Shinzon, etc).

19. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

You lost me at "Kruge was dull." :p

I thought Soran was pretty good. I don't consider him a villain per se...Our Heroes just got in his way.

Nero, Ru'afo (great waste of F.M. Abraham), Khan 2.0 (great waste of BC) and Shinzon though....harder to argue with those.

dupersuper and JaxsBrokenHeart like this.
  20. TedShatner10

That's what I mean by "relatively"; Kruge is not an unentertaining villain and Chris Lloyd is having fun chewing the scenery, but he's essentially a hazard that adds more pressure to retrieving Spock's new body and escaping the imploding Genesis world.

I do agree that Nero and Khan 2.0 are worst offenders as forgettable antagonists, despite charismatic actors.

A selfish, hedonistic maniac blowing up a sun and dooming billions, just so he could jump into a glorified time defying holodeck, is not villainous?!

Beyond's Krall is a ho-hum baddie as well, but what sticks in the mind his gang's convergent similarity with the Borg, and him wanting to so desperately tear down the strange, magnificent Yorktown Starbase (like TMP with V'Ger, Beyond was steering away from glorified Khan style thugs and running with interesting sci-fi concepts, like space stations nearly as vast as planets).