Thunderbirds Are Go - 2015 Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain_Amasov, Feb 21, 2015.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I suppose it can serve as an example of how not to do it. About the only aving grace from the film was Kingsley almost hamming it up at times.

Galileo7 likes this.
  2. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I would like another live-action film that actually works. It needs to be about multiple rescue missions, not the Hood.

3. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Galileo7 likes this.
  5. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Galileo7 likes this.
  6. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TV-21. I saw what they did there!

Also, awesome on many levels. More villains, more backstory, more amazing set pieces, and the never-ending perils of a guy in a common-law relationship with his potted plant. Bring it on!

Mark

7. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I am impressed by the production designs[ vehicles, island, unforms, etc,] of TAG more than the original '60s series or the 2004 film.

8. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I just wish they would adjust the textures and camera to show these ships as large vehicles instead of handheld toys. Part of what really made the classic series work for me is that while I knew they were models, they went to great lengths to make them seem as big and real as possible. The show was one of the reasons I went into modeling- if their models could be made to look real then I wanted mine to do so also.

The new series deliberately films SFX scenes to make the ships look like toys you can buy and play with. I am very happy to see a physical model of TB-4 being used, it gives me hope.

publiusr likes this.
  9. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

First two eps were good, nice to see John getting out and about again. The Mechanic seems a bit generic menacy-voice but since he was able to confound Brains' tech he's obviously not too shabby...

11. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bit disappointed that the new villain seems to be just the Hood's henchman, not the something far worse suggested by the end of season one. Still, that's so far...

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I agree but given that the target audience is children and that it's broadcast on ITV who likely garner royalties, I don't hold out much hope. In any case, the physics used in the original series was also often not credible with TB2 appearing to hover magically before firing its landing thrusters, for example.

13. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

The classic Thunderbirds did have gravity control- it was used both in space and on Earth.

14. Asbo Zaprudder

Gravity control (that is, magic rather than physics) must have been used on TB5 at least. I didn't know about TB2 -- the thrusters were presumably used to make a dramatic entrance. The new series seems to have dropped the gravity control tech as TB5 has to rotate to stick John to the floor.

15. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Yes, and TB3 is completely zero-G. But use of gravity control in the original series would have been more necessary because of the strings... ;)

Edit: one thing that bugs me with the blurb for the new series is the assertion that TB3 is the largest of the ships... While I'm glad to see that the producers have realised a single-stage rocket must be larger than TB2, surely both are dwarfed by TB5?

16. Asbo Zaprudder

TB5 is still a bit of a static caravan though, like it always was. It's basically a listening post in space rather than a vehicle and John must surely suffer psychological problems even given his occasional visits home by space elevator. TB-S is more interesting and gives Tin-Tin, I mean Kayo, something useful to do. I wonder what happened to TB-6 from the second film, which also featured Brain's gravity control gyroscope doohickeys (foreshadowing Eric Lathwaite)? Perhaps they'll show a Tiger Moth parked in an underground bay sometime.

17. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

from one of the S1 eps, I get the impression John's a bit of a loner and he's quite happy to be by himself aboard TB5 which maybe is a physiological problem :)

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Not enough exercise or too much masturbation?

ETA: In any case, John would seem to be on duty 24/7, which must be fairly knackering in itself. Caffeine would not suffice so possibly he's a stimulant abuser?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes but wouldn't TB5 be classed as a space station rather than a ship?

20. Asbo Zaprudder

It was always one of the anomalies of the 60s' series that even young children recognised but chose to overlook. TB5 and TB4 do not thunder and TB4 is neither air nor space worthy, although I suppose it could be considered a diving bird. The poor old Mole (effectively a subterranean TB4) and other vehicles carried by TB2 aren't considered worthy of a TB numeric designation. However, TB3 and TB5 see much more action in the latest incarnation, which is nice.