Thunderbirds Are Go - 2015 Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain_Amasov, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent - Stephen, have a hug!

And yeah, looks good. Neato on an actual space hotel, something that is rarely used in sci-fi.

Mark

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer the original TB2 design too and that's why I like the new design because it's kept fairly close to the original.

TB5 is way too big for my tastes.

3. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Hood appears to be stealing Thunderbird 1 (or at least trying to) in an upcoming episode.

[​IMG]

4. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saturday's episode had a nice bit of meta-Anderson stuff, with Shadow/SHADO Moonbase Alpha having the big sphere of the the SHADO Moonbase, and the wider layout of the Space: 1999 one.
    As an aside, the dialogue establishes that this Thunderbirds is set 100 years after 1969, so maybe five years or so later than the original series.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

6. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The original FAB 1 makes an appearance as FAB 0

[​IMG]

7. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Liked this week's episode. It was good finally seeing Thunderbird S in action.

8. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable landing and taking off in Thunderbird S - one slight mistake and you're a smear on the rocks :)

9. Captain_Amasov

It's certainly a different way of launching/landing. The landing gear/legs did remind me somewhat of Terrahawk as well.

10. Captain_Amasov

Pretty good ending to series 1. And The Hood, like the old show, is working for some other unknown organisation. They even used his 'Agent 79' alias too.

Also, loved the multiple vehicle launch sequence; especially the sweep down underwater to see Thunderbird 4.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  11. Captain_Amasov

Apparently the second season might use even more physical models for certain sequences, most notably the vehicles themselves:

[​IMG]

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Haven't seen anything majorly wrong with the CGI versions so I wonder why the change.

Though perhaps this time around TB2 won't come back a different shade of green after each trip to the model shop :)

13. Captain_Amasov

It's likely another nod to the original, I doubt they'll use it all the time.

14. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa, that totally gave me chills. The stock footage launch sequences in every episode are arguably the only parts of Anderson(esque) shows that never get old. :)

And I've been missing several episodes it seems. Time to binge!

Mark

15. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Amazon Prime ordered more episodes beyond the already aired 26 episodes. I think the production design of TAG Thunderbirds vehicles and Tracy Island are an excellent revision of the original '65 Gerry Anderson series, unlike the disappointing 2004 live-action movie.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  16. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

How does that work? As far as i am aware, this is an ITV show (and ITV has ordered a second series - so it's not cancelled). What agency has Amazon beyond a licence for digital distribution?

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suspect it's more a case that Amazon Prime has renewed it's contract for S2. As for why the production team has done a better job than the disappointing 2004 movie.

No doubt a fair few of those invovled grew up on the show either during it's first run or re-runs. So they wanted to make it in the spirit of the orginal show. Perhaps part of the reason of the failure of the 2004 movie is that it strayed to far from the source material, nothing wrong with trying to reinvent something for modern tastes but what we in essence got was a young persons movie, when what we should have got was an action movie aimed at a wider audiance.

Galileo7 likes this.
  18. Galileo7

I like both the original '65 Thunderbird 2 design and the TAG 2015 Thunderbird 2 design, but I did not like the 2004 live-action film Thunderbird 2 design.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

They all have their place.

20. Galileo7

True, like all revisions/reboots of all franchises. I am still grateful for a live-action Thunderbirds 2004 film being made.