Spoilers Thor: Love and Thunder grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jul 7, 2022.

?

How do you rate Love and Thunder?

1. Full of love and thunder!

5.7%
  2. A

10.2%
  3. A-

8.0%
  4. B+

10.2%
  5. B

19.3%
  6. B-

12.5%
  7. C+

9.1%
  8. C

4.5%
  9. C-

6.8%
  10. D

6.8%
  11. D+

3.4%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Nothing but godly despair...

3.4%
  1. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do people not like Ragnarok? It’s my favourite of all the MCU movies.

Still not had a chance to see this but it’s available to… er… stream now so hopefully I’ll catch it this weekend.

I can learn nothing from the poll in this thread. A very mixed reaction up there.

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn’t like it. It felt too silly and what they did to Hela and Thor’s friends was criminal.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

My wife and I enjoyed it.

That probably means we're wrong or something :-)

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I revisited Ragnarok after seeing Love and Thunder the first time and thought it was a much better movie.

I need to check Love and Thunder again now that it's on D+ and see if my opinion still holds. It just felt low effort to me and I don't know if Taika Waititi phoned this in or treated it like Yahya Abdul Mateen's famous "clown work" comment. If not, something really fell apart in the production process. I know a lot ended up on the cutting room floor but I don't who is responsible for that or why.

I don't know, could you be more specific? ;)

5. fireproof78

One, I thoroughly enjoyed Thor's arc. Two, I laughed a lot throughout the film. Three, Hela is a fun villain.

Yeah, that's all wrong.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just joking from our back and forths in the other threads.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw this again and liked it more on second viewing. This and Doctor Strange are the highlights of a mostly rubbish post-Endgame MCU.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ragnarok was very entertaining. But when it comes to the Thor movies, for me, it's 4 > 3 > 1 > 2, and I enjoy some other MCU movies even more.

Same.

Sometimes the polls get flattened out like this when there are feminist themes in the film, not that that's necessarily why the poll is so flat here and not that the presence of feminist themes automatically makes a film better or worse to anyone. It's just something I've noticed.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I want to eventually rewatch Love & Thunder to get a better opinion on it, even if I find more nits to pick than my initial viewing. :D I enjoyed Ragnarok, and although I also enjoyed aspects of L & T, I do feel like it misses more beats in general. The screaming goats were amusing when they first showed up (but people unfamiliar with the meme likely wouldn't get the the joke) but generally were annoying after that.

I also wound up thinking the whole idea of Thor's group needing disguises to get an audience with Zeus doesn't make much sense, since Korg is the only one who isn't a god or divine in some way. But I want to rewatch the film at some point to look at such details more closely. :)

10. fireproof78

'Twas a joke in kind.

11. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Ragnarok was a tad overrated by a lot of people going on and on about it being one of the best MCU movies ever, but I did enjoy it and I did think it was the best Thor movie at the time. I now would definitely say Love and Thunder is the best Thor movie, but even this one doesn't really fire fully on all cilinders the way some other MCU movies do. The Thor franchise is still waiting for that really cream of the crop quality film, imo.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marvel needs to take a break. This was just an overstuffed and underwritten movie. A lot of the humor didn't work for me at all. Thor gets dumber with each iteration.

13. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen the movie yet but I did watch the Assembled (or whatever it's called). That was fun. I like BTS stuff.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Just watched the film again and I love it even more the second time (helps to have proper audio this time around).

I really love the sweet message about love and how that's an important theme for not just Thor and Jane, but also for Gorr. I particularly love how Thor chose love and compassion over revenge and anger at the end and how that act changed Gorr's intentions to do the same. Gorr did terrible things and there is no redeeming that, but in the end, he chose good when he finally remembered what drove him in that direction in the first place.

Even though I said in my original review, I have to reiterate that I think Taika did a great job of balancing the irreverent humor with the darkness of Gorr's mission. And I have to reiterate that I absolutely love the effects of the shadow monsters, the black and white sequences of the Shadow Realm, and the simplicity of Love's Eternity reflection.

That's a weird choice, watching the behind-the-scenes feature before the film.

That said, I'm off to watch that Assembled episode myself!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  15. fireproof78

It's just like watching interviews and such before the film.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Another terrific Assembled episode and I'm continuously in awe at the level of dedication everyone puts into these films and clearly how much fun everyone had in producing them. Despite all of the special effects and the use of the Volume, I was particularly impressed by the amount of practical effects for all of the alien creatures, particularly the Booskans (the owl bikers!)

But above all else, my favorite thing to learn is that Taika's daughter inspired him to use children's drawings of monsters to create the shadow monsters. I love that so much.

Well, if they're interviews that go into intimate details about the film, from beginning to end, then yes.

17. fireproof78

Whelp, file me under Weird then.

18. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always glut trailers and features before I watch something.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished the movie on Disney+. It was ok. Not my favorite Marvel movie and I think they tried too hard to be a comedy. I thought Jane's story was the best thing about this movie, and didn't really like how sidelined Valkarie felt. It was stylish though, as most Marvel movies are.

I'd give this maybe a 6.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  20. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't even get halfway through before I turned it off. It wasn't funny, much less entertaining in any way. I gave a D+ because I was watching it on D+, otherwise I would have scored it lower.