Things that frustrate us all

It’s 0430 in the morning, there’s literally no other cars/vehicles on this parkway (3 lanes each direction), yet some Bro-Idiot insists on riding my tailpipe with his stupid Bronco Raptor Sooper Dooper Overlander Mega-Rig Mall Crawler, gunning his engine… :thumbdown:

Dude, I get it — you’re super bad-ash and cool. Now, please… Go ‘Find’ Yourself somewhere not near me.

Cheers,
-CM-

It's starting to piss me off that older generations piss on my generation and the generations younger than me. It's not a question of nobody wants to work, it's a question of being unprepared and naive. School doesn't teach you shit about how to apply for a job, how to make a resume and how to prepare for a job interview.

But more importantly, it doesn't prepare you for the real deal, you can go to internships all you like during your school holidays but it doesn't prepare you for doing it each day, every day especially in med school where you have to do late shifts and night shifts

It's starting to piss me off that older generations piss on my generation and the generations younger than me. It's not a question of nobody wants to work, it's a question of being unprepared and naive. School doesn't teach you shit about how to apply for a job, how to make a resume and how to prepare for a job interview.
Well, this is a problem as old as humanity itself, of generations looking down at each other. The older generation considered out of touch, the younger generation too stupid and lazy. I see it a lot. What amuses still further is the claim of the older generation of trying to make a better life for future generations, then complaining about how different kids have it.

But, I do agree that school doesn't prepare you with for real life. I work with high school students from time to time and was struck by the comments they made about their lack of interest in school because they fear it will not help them. I think they see their parents failing at life, and don't see how school helps them because it clearly didn't help their parents. They want help with how to pay taxes, applying for a job or caring for kids, not theoretical classes that won't see real world application.

It's damn frustrating, because challenging it means challenging the status quo. I often feel that challenge because I don't want my kids to necessarily go to college unless they know what they want to get out of it because otherwise it is debt and frustration for limited benefit. And I say that as someone with a graduate degree.

But more importantly, it doesn't prepare you for the real deal, you can go to internships all you like during your school holidays but it doesn't prepare you for doing it each day, every day especially in med school where you have to do late shifts and night shifts
What amuses still further is the claim of the older generation of trying to make a better life for future generations,

Well this is what happened in the UK, when the older generation overwhelmingly voted leave. Look how that's turned out, thanks for that.

My husband left a box of fudge open in his office all night, and all morning, on his desk which is next to a window.

I was working in my office all day so I did not help him clean and vacuum his office after he sprayed pesticide all over to get rid of the massive ant army that swarmed his desk.

Last edited:
Having grown up in Chicago, and having lived in Iowa, Wisconsin and Maryland throughout my life, I'm pretty sure that everyone thinks their state has the worst drivers.

Although people in Dubuque have absolutely zero understanding of how roundabouts work, and even my 13-year-old stepson gets mad at these jackwagons.
Some person in my part of Az decided to add a roundabout out by one of our libraries and at the entrance to park where my mom and I go to watch the wildlife, and it drives us crazy because nobody knows how to use them, and they just a seem to overly complicate things unnecessarily.
We've come to the determination that the people who design streets and parking lots and things like that out here design them to look cool or interesting on a map, with no thought given to practicality.
Which reminds of a wider irritation for me, when people who have never done a thing, are put in charge of that thing. We saw this constantly at Wal-Mart, it was pretty clear that the people making up the rules and procedures on a corporate level had never actually worked in a story before. So much of what they set up made no sense or was practically impossible to actually do the way they wanted it done or in the amount of time they gave us to do it. I really think there should be a rule for companies like Wal-Mart that everybody who makes decisions about how things should be done in the stores, should have to spend at least a week working in a store before they start.

Which reminds of a wider irritation for me, when people who have never done a thing, are put in charge of that thing. We saw this constantly at Wal-Mart, it was pretty clear that the people making up the rules and procedures on a corporate level had never actually worked in a story before. So much of what they set up made no sense or was practically impossible to actually do the way they wanted it done or in the amount of time they gave us to do it. I really think there should be a rule for companies like Wal-Mart that everybody who makes decisions about how things should be done in the stores, should have to spend at least a week working in a store before they start.

Anyone who has worked retail in a big box store feels the urge to scream uncontrollably when they hear of a planogram.

For me, it was a month at Best Buy during my sophomore year of college back in 2004.

A planagram is the design for how a display or shelf was supposed to be set up, right?

Anyone who has worked retail in a big box store feels the urge to scream uncontrollably when they hear of a planogram.

For me, it was a month at Best Buy during my sophomore year of college back in 2004.
I was so grateful the retailer I worked for didn't use them, with all the horror stories my dad told me.

A planagram is the design for how a display or shelf was supposed to be set up, right?
Yes.

I really think there should be a rule for companies like Wal-Mart that everybody who makes decisions about how things should be done in the stores, should have to spend at least a week working in a store before they start.
But, even then, most stores are unique to some degree or another. The company I worked for had a store connected to the corporate headquarters to experiment with layouts but because we had so many different spaces and styles of floor plans across the company it didn't always work.

Yeah, but there are a lot of general rules that would work for any store, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Yeah, but there are a lot of general rules that would work for any store, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.
I mean, I agree, and certainly have seen managers mismanage sections, but there is also a lot of timing involved in retail. When customers come in, the flow of traffic, when it's appropriate to change things over, etc. Especially in Washington, were people have to take lunch by 6 hours or get written up, the timing of implementing new strategies is challenging to make a general rule at times.

I mean, I agree, and certainly have seen managers mismanage sections, but there is also a lot of timing involved in retail. When customers come in, the flow of traffic, when it's appropriate to change things over, etc. Especially in Washington, were people have to take lunch by 6 hours or get written up, the timing of implementing new strategies is challenging to make a general rule at times.
Oh I understand that's what they're working based of off, but at least at Wal-Mart the expectations they have are so far outside the realm of possibility that they're absolutely ridiculous.
And the people who ran my store were even worse. They would come to us with literally impossible expectations, and if you tried to explain that you wouldn't be able to get, they wouldn't listen. And then when they came back, and it wasn't done, they get pissed and start yelling at you, no matter how much you tried to explain why it couldn't get it done that.
There was a lower level manager that I got into it so bad with one evening that that point on set my anxiety off so bad that I would run from him every time I saw him coming. There was one time where he was literally chasing me at a through the store. My fight or flight instinct completely took over when I saw him, so I literally couldn't stop myself from reacting that way to his presence.

Yes, that's all it is. Problem is, many times the people creating them either didn't take proper measurements or are working from different fixtures at the home office than what you have in the store, and so what you've been given doesn't translate 1:1. I worked at Target two summers during college, and they had amazing planograms that were exactly measured and actually worked every time. No idea if their POGs are still up to that standard (I worked there 25 years ago), but it can be done.

The problem with planograms is that they can't work for every store. Even the alternate versions for the same area (3 door, 4 door, 5 door ice cream set, for instance) isn't always a match. Especially problematic when it shortens the space for a top selling product and gives more space to a very slow mover.

Usually when that happened, I simply made the adjustments myself after the reset was done so we'd maximize how much we sold overall. (The numbers always backed me up, which is part of the reason why I was rarely overruled in my adjustments.)

Back