Things that frustrate us all

You must have gotten here at just the right time, we pretty quickly went from cold to hot this year. We seemed to pretty much go right from the 50s and 60s, to 90s and 100s, with very little time in the 70s and 80s.

We kind of lucked out on that trip in regards to the weather. After Phoenix, the next stop on the tour was Denver, and we got there right after a major thunderstorm had hit the area (and the Rockies' ballpark was the only one on the tour that doesn't have a roof).

We have the opposite luck, the few times we go somewhere we always end up with the opposite weather they usually get.
When we went to Seattle so I could get some medical treatment there back when I was a teenager, it was unusually sunny and warm there, and they got bunch of rain back in Phoenix.
It was kind of funny though, because it was in the '60s in Seattle, so all of the locals were wearing T-shirts or tank tops and shorts, while my mom and I were wearing jackets.
It should be illegal to use a leaf blower before 9 am.
Sadly you can't wait that long out here to do that kind of stuff here, it's usually already to hot.

When we went to Seattle so I could get some medical treatment there back when I was a teenager, it was unusually sunny and warm there, and they got bunch of rain back in Phoenix.
It was kind of funny though, because it was in the '60s in Seattle, so all of the locals were wearing T-shirts or tank tops and shorts, while my mom and I were wearing jackets.

Reminds me of the old Seattle joke, How can you tell the difference between a tourist and a native? The umbrella/jacket.

If I lived in a city with decent mass transit, I'd sell my car in a heartbeat.

What really upsets me is that, years ago, I learned through my local NPR station KUOW about an initiative on the ballot back in 1970 called 'Forward Thrust', which would have brought light rail to the Puget Sound region.

It would have stretched from Everett to Tacoma as well as the Eastside (Bellevue, Issaquah, Redmond) and used combination of existing rail lines and new construction.

Construction was estimated to take fifteen years and be completed sometime in the mid-80s at a cost of around $1 billion, with $881 million coming from the Federal government and the rest covered by King/Pierce/Snohomish Counties.

It fell 54% to 46%. The funds earmarked for the project instead went to Atlanta.

I think about that almost every day as I drive to and from work when I hear some of our local conservative radio talk show hosts talk about how much the current light rail project is costing the taxpayers and how we should build more roads instead. We could have had light rail in the Puget Sound for 30+ years and the voters let it slip out of their hands.

I could really do without all this Labor Day crap.

For WHAT? They're sure as hell not gonna use it to expand MARTA (which still doesn't go to the Braves' ballpark)...
How can you have a mass transit system and not have it go to the baseball stadium? Isn't that like the most obvious place for something like that to go?
Our light rail system only covers a small portion of The Valley and it goes to at least the big downtown sports stadiums. A couple are out on this side of town, so I'm not sure if it goes that far, but the rest are all in the area it covers.

My hospital had a data breach in April.

Now they revealed that identity info for every patient from 1950 - present was compromised.

Even worse, the mental health and addiction department had every person's complete file (assessments, medications, case notes - everything) from 2017-present accessed and destroyed - the hackers stole the data and torched the hospital records.

So now there's someone out there selling my personal info and all my mental health records to the highest bidder, of they're not just blackmailing the hospital and releasing them for free.

What really upsets me is that, years ago, I learned through my local NPR station KUOW about an initiative on the ballot back in 1970 called 'Forward Thrust', which would have brought light rail to the Puget Sound region.

It would have stretched from Everett to Tacoma as well as the Eastside (Bellevue, Issaquah, Redmond) and used combination of existing rail lines and new construction.

Construction was estimated to take fifteen years and be completed sometime in the mid-80s at a cost of around $1 billion, with $881 million coming from the Federal government and the rest covered by King/Pierce/Snohomish Counties.

It fell 54% to 46%. The funds earmarked for the project instead went to Atlanta.

I think about that almost every day as I drive to and from work when I hear some of our local conservative radio talk show hosts talk about how much the current light rail project is costing the taxpayers and how we should build more roads instead. We could have had light rail in the Puget Sound for 30+ years and the voters let it slip out of their hands.

If you think that was bad, read up on the whole bamboozle known as the HART in Honolulu.

It was supposed to be fully built, basically across the bottom/South side of Oahu for somewhere around $750M. I think the current price tag is about/above $12B (with a ‘B’), and still over a decade to completion, and a reduced system at that.

The first segment finally opened/began operating in July… but it literally goes nowhere. The first station has no parking lot and the ending station (for this segment) stops at Aloha Stadium. Not bad you would think, like @JD mentioned above… except that Aloha Stadium will be demolished soon. :vulcan:

Total epic Charlie Foxtrot, to say the least.

Cheers,
-CM-

Same, yet I dread going back to work.

I certainly understand the sentiment. But with all the layoffs we've been experiencing lately, I'll consider myself happy to still have a job to go back to.

My hospital had a data breach in April.

Now they revealed that identity info for every patient from 1950 - present was compromised.

Even worse, the mental health and addiction department had every person's complete file (assessments, medications, case notes - everything) from 2017-present accessed and destroyed - the hackers stole the data and torched the hospital records.

So now there's someone out there selling my personal info and all my mental health records to the highest bidder, of they're not just blackmailing the hospital and releasing them for free.

OMG, that's a nightmare! I was going to say that I can't believe that these organizations that are responsible for such personal information don't take data security more seriously, but then I thought about it, and sadly I actually can believe it. :(

When your plate's loaded up with cucumber and you've got to slog through eating it.
It's just water in food form!

This is not totally a frustration, but really more a disappointment for me.

Every year since 2006, I have gone to DragonCon. (With the obvious exception of 2020 due to covid, since it shut down because of the pandemic.) One of THE main reasons I go is to talk with the various actors/actresses about their shows, cgaracters, etc. I've always loved getting their perspective on the characters they played and getting some fun behind the scenes stories.

Unfortunately, due to the strike and the actors' inability to discuss shows from even decades ago, I've had to cancel going this year. (Had to cancel over two weeks ago so I could get my full refund on the vrbo place I booked.) I always looked at DragonCon as my 'Christmas'... it's the one thing in the year I most look forward to and really the only thing I spend any money on for myself (life necessities aside, of course). In a real sense, Christmas has been canceled for me.

Considering the hurricane that went through today up where I would drive to get to Atlanta, and my rib area is still trying to recover from the bad bronchitis I had last month, I guess it was a good thing I took this year off. Still saddens me greatly.

(My wife, to her amazing credit, has been doing stuff that has been lifting my spirits up since yesterday, since I normally start my 10-11 hour drive around 4 a.m of the Thursday for the event. She even took the next couple days off so we can have fun times together. She's really awesome.)

This is not totally a frustration, but really more a disappointment for me.

Every year since 2006, I have gone to DragonCon. (With the obvious exception of 2020 due to covid, since it shut down because of the pandemic.) One of THE main reasons I go is to talk with the various actors/actresses about their shows, cgaracters, etc. I've always loved getting their perspective on the characters they played and getting some fun behind the scenes stories.

Unfortunately, due to the strike and the actors' inability to discuss shows from even decades ago, I've had to cancel going this year. (Had to cancel over two weeks ago so I could get my full refund on the vrbo place I booked.) I always looked at DragonCon as my 'Christmas'... it's the one thing in the year I most look forward to and really the only thing I spend any money on for myself (life necessities aside, of course). In a real sense, Christmas has been canceled for me.

Considering the hurricane that went through today up where I would drive to get to Atlanta, and my rib area is still trying to recover from the bad bronchitis I had last month, I guess it was a good thing I took this year off. Still saddens me greatly.

(My wife, to her amazing credit, has been doing stuff that has been lifting my spirits up since yesterday, since I normally start my 10-11 hour drive around 4 a.m of the Thursday for the event. She even took the next couple days off so we can have fun times together. She's really awesome.)
I totally get that. Phoenix Fan Fusion is like that for me and the year I missed due to having COVID sucked. Your wife is obviously awesome. :adore:

How can you have a mass transit system and not have it go to the baseball stadium? Isn't that like the most obvious place for something like that to go?

MARTA did go to the Braves' old ballpark (Turner Field), sort of. It had a station like a mile away from the ballpark, but it was possible.

The problem is the Braves decided to build a new ballpark in Cobb County, near where a lot of their season-ticket holders live, and that area isn't served well by MARTA.

So when I went there I took Sports Travel & Tours, and I was very happy with it. I use that tour group all the time when I want to go to a ballpark where there isn't any mass transit (like this spring when I went to the new Texas Rangers stadium).

Leasing companies and fleet vehicle maintenance plans.

My issue with them is that they are third party companies.

When a customer brings a vehicle in for maintenance and our technicians write up an estimate, that estimate then has to be submitted to the fleet services account who then calls the customer and tells them what sort of work needs to be done on their vehicle, which the owner approves or decline.

We, as the shop, don't contact the customer and interact with them over the phone or in person to explain why it needs to be done.

So, in a way, it's like the old game of 'telephone', and the possibility of misunderstanding/miscommunication is increased the more people are involved.

Also, sometimes it costs more in parts and labor than what the leasing company/customer is charged.

The store loses money on things ranging from oil changes to brake jobs. An $89.99 oil change plus tax/labor usually comes out to $25-$30 charged to the customers account.

When your plate's loaded up with cucumber and you've got to slog through eating it.
It's just water in food form!
I love cucumber, it's one of my favorite healthy snacks.
MARTA did go to the Braves' old ballpark (Turner Field), sort of. It had a station like a mile away from the ballpark, but it was possible.

The problem is the Braves decided to build a new ballpark in Cobb County, near where a lot of their season-ticket holders live, and that area isn't served well by MARTA.
That makes more sense then.

Back