Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Water main break right outside my house. Guys say it might not be fixed until sometime tomorrow.
    Also, I have a scratchy throat.

I guess being sick AND being unwashed are two good reasons to call off work...

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

True, but science fiction is on other channels too, there’s no alternative choice for people who want actual historical documentaries. :)

And frankly, wrestling is kinda sci-fi. The violent version of soaps.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I hate having to work on the weekends. I rarely get invited to anything but when I do, it's to something on the weekend and I have to turn it down. I have to work during the day and have to go to bed early at night, so I can't make plans for any weekend events.

4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Okay, so a bathroom that has one stall is out of order for some reason, so a sign is put up saying that. Somebody took the sign down!

So, staff put a new one up:

Out of Order
    (Removing the sign will not make it work)

Kor likes this.
  5. JirinPanthosa

Dear other cars on the road.

If somebody is trying to turn into the road, there are two helpful things you can do.
    1. Stop and let the person in.
    2. Go fast, so the person has a big enough gap to get in behind you.

The single most unhelpful thing you can do is slow down but not stop. In this case, you make the gap behind you small enough that the person can't get in at all.

Yet 90% of the cars on the street do this!!!

6. Doom Shepherd

Experience has forced me to assume that everyone else on the road is drunk, asleep, insane, or all three. So now I slow down in an attempt to minimize impact when the crazy fucker decides to charge out anyway, regardless of the amount of existing room.

Because a significant nonzero % of the cars have done this.

Sibyl likes this.
  7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Being sick. Ugh. And that weird level of sick where your brain is wide awake and wanting to do things but your body says, "Hell no." So you sit and stare and before you know it, your whole day has gone by.

8. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I work weekends and LOVE being off on Monday and Tuesdays. For one, I can do the exact same things people do on the weekends, but don't have to wait to do so, and it's nowhere near as crowded.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't say I'm surprised to see that pro wrestling is on a channel where "fiction" is part of the name. ;)

That's actually a fairly safe assumption to make. You can't be too careful.

Or, as George Carlin once put it: "Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot; anyone driving faster than you is a MANIAC!"

Sibyl and Prax like this.
  10. JirinPanthosa

And what about the 50 people in a row who see that you’re trying to turn left on a busy street and don’t stop for you?

Then you see a gap coming up where you finally have a chance, but the car slows down and does not stop, taking that gap away, and another 20 cars pass before you can get in.

I know they’re probably slowing down because they’re worried what you’re going to do. But if you’re going to slow way down, STOP. Actually help the person, in addition to protecting yourself against stranger randomness.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

When you peel the foil top off of a yoghurt cup, and a bunch of drops of yoghurt splash everywhere, especially on your clothes. :mad:

Kor

Sibyl likes this.
  12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

This all happened today during the same drive.

Firetruck has its lights on and is sounding the horn, so we let it run the red light at the intersection like we're supposed to. After it passes, the light is still green for us so everyone starts to go... until the driver of a truck who was behind the fire truck (just some regular driver out on the street) decides he has the right to run the red too, meaning we have to stop so he doesn't hit us.

Then later on at another intersection, the light turns green but the car in the left turn lane and the car in the straightaway lane won't go. Why not? Because they're talking to each other.

13. JirinPanthosa

The difference there though is that wrestling isn’t pretending to be science fiction.

Ancient Aliens is pretending to be history. It’s the same as if the Science Channel did a special on flat Earth. Or if Hannity appeared on a news network.

Put South Park on CNN? Seems a bit weird, but okay. Put Dr Oz on “The Medical Science Network”, that’s a problem. It’s a network whose mission statement is to be factual spreading misinformation that looks like facts.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Amaris and Sibyl like this.
  14. Doom Shepherd

Fuck I am pissed off at everything right now. I just came out of a meeting with our HR director.

Yesterday, my boss said "When you have the time, go up and see HR. There's a library job opening up and you may want it, because I'm leaving in April and this position is going away." **(This was the sum total of the conversation. The most we;ve spoken in two weeks. That'll be important in a minute.)

Fast Forward to 20 minutes ago:

Seems my boss (of the last couple of months) went to him with "concerns" about my ability to do some of the things in my job description. Now, in the couple of months I've been working here, I've done ALL my survey work as usual. My boss has given me TWO work assignments outside of that, which I completed to the best of my ability given the parameters that he set.

My total feedback from assignment 1: "Thanks."
    My feedback from assignment 2? DEAD FUCKING SILENCE.
    This man's office is NEXT to me. He literally passes me every time he walks out his door.
    Has he come to me with problems/concerns/suggestions/clarifications with my work? No.
    Has he called me into his office for anything outside of giving those initial assignments to me? No.
    Has he had a GODDAMN CONVERSATION with me outside of perfunctory "good mornings" in the last two months? NO.
    He walks into his office, and closes the door. He has people come in. He has meetings he sets up with his GA. I haven't been invited to anything since one meeting in September. I am COMPLETELY out of the loop.

You couldn't fucking TALK TO ME before going to HR?

Now yeah, part of this is certainly my fault. I'm not an interrupter (can't stand interruptions, myself, don't like to do it to other people). In the real world, I am non-confrontational to the point of avoidance. I've FELT underutilized and out-of-sorts with this situation for WEEKS, and I've been trying to drum up the 'courage' to have the conversation with him that I just had with HR. Just to sit down in his office and say "Listen, I feel we're not communicating well, here. What do we need to do to make this a workable job relationship?" So I blame myself for taking too long and allowing things to get to this point, but GEEZ, it takes two to fail to communicate. Sir.

Great way to start Thanksgiving break, thanks for that, too.

ETA: Yeah, now I’m having that good old “my world is collapsing” anxiety attack thing. Wonderful.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Your boss should have broached the subject if it was really that much of an issue, otherwise it's just being sideswiped, and that is not fair to you at all. I hope things improve for you. :(

16. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Frustrations? Relatives who only call or visit when they hope to squeeze some money out of us. They seem to regard us as their own little piggy bank.

auntiehill, Amaris and Avro Arrow like this.
  17. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanksgiving day and getting turkey out of fridge, juice ran down the fridge!!

18. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I received an email today at 1:31 pm that "Our stores open at 8 am for Black Friday!!!"

19. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

It's OK, as long as this was the store that sent out the email:

time machine store 3.jpg

Although, wait... if you go into the store and buy a time machine at 1:30 pm, then use that time machine to go back to the store opening at 8:00 am and buy that same time machine five and a half hours earlier, what happens??

I'm too tired for this...

Gary Mitchell and Sibyl like this.
  20. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    There are some good history channels on YouTube, on a variety of topics.

ThankQ likes this.