The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

It would surprise me if there weren't settlements thriving on the US Navy's aircraft carriers. The Nimitz class can stay at sea virtually forever and they can make their own freshwater. The only issue would be vegetables, they might be able to grow on the flightdeck though.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And Carol becomes the new character to watch.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ooh, a New Zombie Government, that brings up possibilities. ;)

*Quotes taken slightly out of context for humor (or humour, if you prefer). If anyone's offended, ask and I will delete*

4. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know what's occurred to me this season? There's been things that are good & things that are meh... but nothing I hate, or more specifically nobody I hate. It's refreshing :lol:

There is one thing sort of nagging at me all this time though. It's been 4 seasons, & almost 2 years in world time & they are still less than 100 miles from Atlanta. If this season has taught us anything, a change of scenery is in order.

They could have been anywhere on the continent in this amount of time, with all their magic petrol & as this episode seems to suggest, there's others out there (One crafty person or more running a radio broadcast)

Two years in, & it's possible something of a rebound is growing somewhere, or not, but we just know nothing outside of this area right here. > Walking Dead Google Map

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the others will come around to her way of thinking.

6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, notice how you avoid the point that they were well armed and healthy over a year after the ZA, and the alleged fall of government/resources, etc.

Now that did not work out for you, Fandango.

Yes, because they just so happened to come across an endless resource of abandoned stores that--somehow--were not picked clean.

.....and oh, they just so happened to find bases where they can always stock up on ammo for very specific weapons and vehicle maintenance (which you are not finding at your local Auto Zone).

Yes, because the existence of the guards means its all just one, final fragment of the military, and gosh golly, they just "up 'an died" without any groups, bases, or structure left in America. Even in a horror show that is too much to buy, and your misunderstandfing of how the guards survived is just....entertaining. It is always entertaining to see how far some fans will go to defend that which is quite obvious.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

All in all, there is no overt proof those guardsmen where part of a larger outfit.

You might also notice there have been no helicopters out looking to find out what happened to that troop either.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yes.

That pleases me to no end.

I'm excited to see where they take this season.

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guys it's fun to speculate and argue about what the post apocalypse world looks like and how people might be surviving in it. But do both of you have to be so strident and rude about it? It's just a TV show.

10. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree but if people on this website in the movie section can get all hot and bothered over blue warp nacells why not over The Walking Dead as well?

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have seen the level of nitpicking about the possibility of other communities or military enclaves in TWD universe increase exponentially since the end of last season on various threads/forums/message boards I read on the Internet. One would have expected an increase when you saw the soldiers be ambushed by Woodberry, but the increase in discussion IMO isn't tracked to there since these discussions have "ramped up" considerably in the past 5 or 6 months.

I think the biggest reason for these discussions is World War Z. Obviously the book has existed before this show ever aired, but the movie only came out in June and people saw a world overrun by much more dangerous/fast moving zombies and enclaves form. So the thought is then "Well, if WWZ can have this happen with fast moving zombies. Shouldn't there be an equivilent in the Walking Dead universe with the traditional Romero type slow movers?"

12. DarthTom

That's a great observation and one of the flaws of TWD in terms of a suspension of disbelief that the world was overtaken by slow moving zombies.

I suppose they solve this problem to a greater or lesser degree by making everyone infected and upon death you turn into a zombie. I'd imagine in such a scenario hospitals would become zombie breeding grounds.

One thing to remember is the producers of the Walking Dead are working on a spin-off series. Presuambly this series will be about other communities or ideally perhaps the greater world at large and how the plague effected the government.

13. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At this point I'm not sure I'd care for fast movers on the show as they have already had enough inconsistencies in Walker behavior IMO.

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the kind of thing that raises her odds of not making it out of this season alive

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Carol revelation: really show, really? Fuck you show.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

An interesting revelation but, Jesus, when did Carol join the Dark Side?!

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Doesn't really have anything to do with Zombie speed, IMO. WWZ had 'fast' zombies in the movie, but it was stupid and done because the sfx looked kewl. The zombies in the book weren't especially fast, they were effectively fighting them hand to hand, with dogs, etc. None of that works with the fast super-zombie force of nature that WWZ the movie showed.

WWZ DID show a world taken over by slow zombies, it just didn't try and show it happening overnight. It took a while for things to break down. But it did a great job of explaining all the ways things go wrong for that to happen. TWD just skipped to the end, but only left a few weeks to get there, which is dumb and hard to defend. It shows a breakdown which should take years to achieve, and gives weeks to get there (at most, even assuming Rick survives via magic instead of medical science).

18. DarthTom

That's true. And what makes the book version of WWZ even more plausible is basically the infection goes out of control because the government tries to cover up the fact that the cure they had was a faux one.

For all the bickering in the TWD world about functional government or not - it seems more likely that some sort of working government survived the zombie plauge but Rick's group is simply cut off from it and they are not transmitting over FM or AM radio - perhaps not to attract a large group of refugees.

19. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I agree I would have liked to see maybe a trigger for Carol to have really turned in this direction, but the show has been pretty clear all season so far that she's become a much more hardened version of herself. She's been entirely no nonsense all season about doing what's necessary to survive. I suppose you could argue there has been a gradual change, but there's clearly a difference between this season and last, so I would have liked to see exactly what caused that difference.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Again, the death of Sophia would have been the catalyst for that but that's been almost a year ago now. Last season she still seemed pretty... "normal" and all crushing on Daryl. But now she's turned into a pretty damn dark person. Something had to have happened in the intervening time between now and Woodbury.