The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I agree it's a harsh lesson, but what would they have done if they were alone with their Dad when he died?

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On Talking Dead, they said it wasn't the girl, whom I posted I thought it was. They also said that Rick never brought up the sick pig to Herschel (seems silly), and that Rick was focused on Carl.

Dcotor's name is Caleb. He's referred to as "Dr. C" and as "Caleb."

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not on the Talking Dead I saw. At least, Greg didn't say that. and he's the only one on the show that would know.

4. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

It's absolutely appropriate. The man's dead body is a threat, and needs to be eliminated. The family of the deceased should take care of it, just as they do now. The fact that stabbing the body in the head is necessary in the post-apocalyptic world is the only significant difference.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Carol seems to be going through a delayed "going to the dark side" reaction to the death of Sophia. She seems to be trying to steel the kids so they'll better be able to protect themselves should they ever end-up alone like Sophia was.

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That whole scene bothered me. Time is of the essence, she should have killed him as soon as she found the bite on his neck. Then to waste time arguing with the girls and allowing them to get close, it's lucky he didn't reanimate then and bite them all!

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, unfortunately, those kids aren't in a position where they will have the opporunity to grow up before they have to do something like stab a former loved one in the head in order to survive. This is something they might have to do in the next minute or hour and beig able to do it may mean the difference between life and death.

What Carol was teaching them can be seen as inappropriate for a child, however, it is absolutely necessary under the circumstances.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Taking your loved one off life-support is a bit different from stabbing them in the head, I'd say. To ask a young girl to do that to her father mere seconds after he passed away just seems wrong to me no matter what the circumstance.

Especially when there's loads of other zombies for the kids to practice their killing techniques on.

And it's not like stabbing her father would make it a whole lot easier to kill her sister or some other loved one who suddenly turned. It would still be just as difficult and torturous an experience.

9. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

^People who find it difficult to do what is necessary to survive don't survive very long. If stabbing your dead father's body in the head to prevent reanimation doesn't make it easier to put down other loved one's reanimated corpses, then that kid is not going to last to adulthood.

Besides, the guy was already dead. What more could happen to him (beyond reanimation)?

It wasn't that time-critical. It usually takes between two minutes and several hours to reanimate. It was done in less than two minutes, and even then a freshly re-animated corpse isn't that vicious. They seem mostly confused at first (for instance, Amy and Shane reanimated without seeming too focused on killing immediately).

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Your TV is too dark. We see the hand holding the flashlight and it was not a child's hand. Also the fact that the rat is being dangled by its tail at head-level of the walker makes it clear this is someone of adult height.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Nope, just watched it for a third time. I adjusted the brightness and contrast on the TV all the way up. No hand is visible. Ever heard of people holding something above one's head? That rat could totally be held by a kid. Especially considering we have no way of knowing if the walker was bending over or not to reach the rat.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I doubt the Walker feeder was the little girl, it seemed like between whomever was feeding the Walkers and whoever killed the two infected people we're trying to build to a threat inside the prison. I think that'd be pretty lame if it was a 12-year-old girl. I'm betting on a Governor follower has infiltrated the prison and is trying to scare the group off.

If not a Governor follower some other outside interest that doesn't want Rick and the group there that has managed to infiltrate the prison.

13. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

THANK YOU.

A bit like shoving a non-swimmer into deep water and telling them it's for their own good.

This series will take the gratuitous drama road sometimes. I can think of a hundred ways to train children without traumatizing them. Maternal hero syndrome, you ask me.

But then again, why would a character watch the road as they drive, when they could spin out of control? Why not go out to the creepy old barn near the edge of the woods at night?

Here little girl, stab your father in the head! This is the kind of gratuitous drama that reveals TV studios have about the same handle on actual people as fashion designers.

Then again, in a real crisis you probably would get stuck with twenty drama queens "taking charge," and twenty douchebags in hats twirling pistols. Stressing out an injured child by fighting for dominance over who gets to deliver first aid and feel heroic.

:rolleyes: :rommie:

Two more points:

Rick's accent: I thought there was something a little off about it the first time I saw his character. But to the actor's credit, most people can't really pull off a southern accent, they only think they can. Andrew Lincoln does a great job! I thought it was a directorial choice and not the fact he wasn't southern!

The gun in the prison yard: On further reflection....

As a police officer, Rick would be aware of the ramifications of a convict with access to a pistol in a prison. That prison was designed to keep out things like guns, and yet there one was. In the time before the world turned, that well-staffed and well-organized prison still couldn't keep out what it was designed to keep out. What less chance would Rick have winging it with a skeleton crew against a danger the prison wasn't even designed for?

So the pistol may reveal or foreshadow the false sense of security - and inevitable danger. This is the kind of scene I love in this series - it gives you things to think about without moralizing or dramatizing, too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  14. Venardhi

I can see a hand. So I don't know what to tell you. Maybe your copy was badly compressed or something. You see it in two shots when the flashlight isn't facing directly at the camera.

There is nothing to suggest the walker is is lower than normal height, and the approaching walker from behind it suggests they are both standing and normal height.

For one of those girls to be holding the rat at the height it is shown and in the way it is portrayed they would need to be on a step stool (they even made fun of the idea on Talking Dead this week).

Unless they intentionally filmed it to be misleading, it almost definitely wasn't one of the kids. And certainly not one of the younger ones.

15. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I must have missed or forgot that's where he retrieved them

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Pretty good second episode.

The opening and the waiting for the attack to come was very tense. I can't believe they weren't already locking their cell doors. That is kind of stupid. People can easily die in their sleep, and something like this could happen again in the future if they don't take more precautions. A few people on guard duty around the cell blocks every night would greatly increase the safety for everyone.

Glad to see Farmer Rick is back to being Badass Rick. His plan was good, I was expecting him to run over the walkers with the truck. Felt sorry for the piglets, but they had to go. They were a good way to spread diseases.

Anyone surprised at how much screentime Carol is getting so far? Looks like they want to give the actress more material. Not sure about the two little girls storyline. They have an expiration date right above their heads, but I hope they stay alive for Carol's sake.

I got the feeling Karen was going to die the moment the episode started. There was something so obvious about it with how cozy Karen and Tyreese were getting. Of course I was expecting her to be walker bait, wasn't expecting her to be burned alive. Will the rest of the season's plot be trying to discover who the murderer is?

Maybe the person that did it wasn't really evil, but being brutally logically by burning the two people before they could spread the disease? The murderer being a mole sent by the Governor is too obvious, so I hope they don't go in that direction!

17. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Not really, they killed off the two female leads last season, it makes sense to give more screentime to an existing female character that's not Maggie or Michonne. Carol is also one of only five season one characters remaining, the only female and she has become more popular, she deserves every second of screentime she gets.

Even of there was a mole, wouldn't he or she lay low and wait for a chance to take out Rick and Daryl?

I hope they adapt the serial killer story from the comics, that would give them an addtional threat, rat fed zombies at the fence, the infection spreading and a crazy killer among them. Forget the governor, I'd be happy if he never shows his face again except for a cameo where he is unceremoniously killed off. Like he shows up at the gate and Carol blows his brains out from one of the towers. "That was pretty good, Carol!" "Not really, that was supposed to be a warning shot ..." Then they all laugh and the governor storyline is forgotten.

18. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

At what time did the rat feeding happen? Don't remember it that clearly, and thought I could rewatch it later.

19. Venardhi

It is the first scene of the episode.

20. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watch the episode last night, I think it's the young girl feeding the rats to her pets.

As far as the gun goes, I think it meant nothing and was probably dropped by one of the Governor's people during the raid, I don't think we'll see anything else about it TBH.

I realize we are only into episode two but I get the feeling the Zombie Flu story line is going to be drug out, IMO it's not really that interesting and could get boring really fast.

Am I the only one that felt like that whole Michonne at the gate scene felt contrived?
    She rode right past one of the walkers, why not take it's head off on the way by?

It's starting to feel like the characters are becoming dumber to add plot devices.

1. Why let the Walkers build up at the fence? We saw it was a problem last week, why haven't they been killing them all this time from last week to this week, if they all got out there once a day the job would be done in 10-15 min, why risk them building up over night?

2. Why aren't people closing the cell doors at minimum? If you don't want to lock or can't lock it then wrap a rope, wire, chain, torn sheet or something around the bars.
    Hell I live out in the middle of nowhere with no one around, on a ten acre piece of property at the dead end of a road with a 1,750 drive way through the woods and I lock my bedroom door at night, I just feel safer doing so, let alone living in a creepy @ss prison with a bunch of people I don't know in a post apocalyptic world with 100's of walkers that want to eat me right out side and knowing that I and everyone else living has a virus that when we die we turn into walkers ourselves.

3. Where are all these walkers coming from? This is a rural area with huge farming properties and small towns.
    If I had so many showing up at my front door all the time I'd be sending out raiding parties to kill as many as I could or set up noise makers to lure them away from where I live.