The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I see Daryl as the "Rambo" character.

2. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Re: What Hershel saw (and how it changed him)

If indeed it could be called an illness, it is not the same in scope as any illness that has ever existed. It's an affliction that's gone global and that threatens to make humanity extinct.

You can't really compare the barn to a mental hospital because even those in there can still reason, speak, and aren't constantly trying to eat other people unaffected by their "disease". And even if they were trying to, if they greatly outnumbered the sane population, you can bet that some killing would happen.

The morals will change to fit the situation, and Herschel just never figured that out.

3. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I could see that - Daryl's probably a better fit, given his lack of desire for leadership and the trouble he has feeling as though he fits in or wants to fit in or is accepted. "Rambo" was a name I tossed off in a moment of weakness. Maybe Shane is closest to someone like Guy Gardner, as he was portrayed in early JLI. I agree with Kegg that he's a key reason to watch the show - the actor is doing a really superb job with a character who could easily be one-note.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it should be clear to everyone in that world by now that whatever's causing this, isn't based on any kind of real world science. This isn't just an advanced form of rabies they're dealing with; these are supernatural creatures which can survive and function in ways that are simply not possible.

5. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I don't know if the walkers are supernatural. If I was still alive in TWD's world I'd be looking to science to find a cure. In fact I would be doing what Rick and his crew were prior to landing on the farm. Trying to find a way back to civilization. It's still out there somewhere. A walker free city where people are working on fixing this mess. I'd want to help rather than try to eek out some existence on a farm or wander the roads until bitten.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's getting high time for us to find out what Doctor I-Don't-Wanna-Live-Without-My-Honey-Buns-TS-19 whispered to Rick.

7. TheNatureRoy

TheNatureRoy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not genuine real world science, but it seems to me it's supposed to be science-based in TWD universe -- albeit not yet understood science.

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Walkers aren't supernatural, but what they are is paradigm shifting. They're new scientific data that would radically overhaul existing scientific theories if there are still scientists around working on those.

No, I still can. I could compare it to a hypothetical mental hospital inhabited by dangerous and unreasoning insane subjects with a cannibalistic taste for human flesh.

No doubt. On this point, I'd observe the Otis is perfectly okay with killing zombies at the school, because it's basically a necessity.

9. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think Otis was far more aware of the situation then Herschel was. He kept Herschel and the rest of the family far removed from what was happening out in the world.

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I wouldn't say supernatural, just far beyond what our science could actually explain. So uh, science fiction. :D I don't think it's quite at the level of things like ghosts, gods, or anything ethereal. But it's definitely walking that line between sci-fi and fantasy.

Ok, I guess you could... but I'm not sure I see the point in making a comparison to a hypothetical.

11. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

I'm curious how you would be so certain that civilization is still out there, you suggest the above would be better then

But it kinda seems like the same thing really, even if you are right , and civilization is still out there, finding it would be a needle in a haystack. Unless its not just 'out there' but also 'within a short distance' you could wander for ever and not stumble accross it. even if it is close, if you head the wrong way, you could never know it was just over that hill behind you,

-CG

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Radio, TV, smoke signals.....

13. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

^ and Faith. :techman:

But more than likely some kind of signal would still be broadcasting advising survivors where to go.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Exactly. If it was me, I'd get my people to some safe place and wait for some broadcast that I could trust. Traveling around not only puts you at risk of becoming Zombie food, but also of running into bands of survivors that are not quite so benign (like that biker gang in Dawn Of The Dead).

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

In the Novels is the rest of the world ever mentioned? or is the outbreak limited to USA?

I would love to see the BBC try to adapt a UK version ;)

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that version of the show would be called World War Z.

17. Derishton

But how would you know to trust a broadcast unless you went and found the source of the broadcast?

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ That's a good question (also good story material). But it would be better than wandering blindly in a world of hungry Zombies and unrestrained opportunists.

19. Derishton

Just to say something nice about the Resident Evil films, they've shown both approaches leading to more or less the same result - which I take to be deliberate, but I may be optimistic on that.

20. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

Ive read most of the comics and the novel, so far as I know

The rest of the world's fate in not known

-GC