Spoilers The Star Beast grade and discussion thread

How do you rate The Star Beast?

• Total voters
5 million overnights.

So turns out there were no hordes of people waiting for Tennant and Davies to return to save the series from Chibnall and Whittaker.

Highest drama debut of the year, beat I'm A Celeb, likely will be second only to Strictly for the week and may overtake it in the consolidated ratings and much higher than the overnights of the last load of Whittaker stories.

Yeah what a disaster.

Once it was over, I giggled, looked at my wife and said "JK Rowling is going to hate this."
Random aside, but they definitely dodged a bullet back in 2009 when they decided not to do that planned episode about the Doctor teaming up with Rowling for an adventure. That would have aged like sour milk given what we now know about her.

We have Tennant to thank for that, who objected to it when RTD first discussed the idea feeling it would have been "tacky."

But I just love the fact that the Chibnal era already feels like a rapidly fading nightmare, the Cousin Oliver of Doctors and ready to be assigned to the dustbins of history along with the Salamanders/warp 10 plot in Star Trek, Roseanne winning the lottery, Nikki & Paolo in LOST or BSG 1980..

Whereas I love the fact that eventually people will stop shitting all over the Chibnall era, which was mostly a refreshing change of pace from Moffat's journeys up his own backside in search of convoluted and ultimately meaningless arcs. I've already had the fun of seeing some of the people who somehow convinced themselves that RTD would give them a Doctor Who less "woke" than Chibnall's lose their little minds.

Not visually, but it's almost certain he's the "boss" that the Meep threatened to tell about the Doctor's presence.

I've heard the boss will be a villain for Ncuti Gatwa's Doctor.

5 million overnights.

So turns out there were no hordes of people waiting for Tennant and Davies to return to save the series from Chibnall and Whittaker.

This is the TV landscape these days...

Live ratings are so much lower than they were back in the RTD/DT era so 5 million overnight (a figure that will increase in the finals) is a solid number. A lot of people will watch on iPlayer like I did so that figure will add millions by the time episode 2 airs.

It's also worth noting that in Britain, anything with five million viewers is considered a smash hit. So while it may be a far cry from the twelve million or whatever it was Tennant got the first time around, it's nothing to worry about either.

I presume a bigger focus for the franchise will be the worldwide audience through Disney+ rathe than the BBC domestic ratings.

Does anybody else want the new and empty TARDIS to stay filling up with small things here and there?

A long scarf over the bannister, a hat rack by the door... ;)

Currently we have a brand new house, and over the next few years, it will get more lived in ;)

And of course never to have a coffee related accident again, put in a kettle for a cuppa tea instead! Lol

I want to like the new TARDIS interior. It's vast in a way that we haven't seen since Eleven's first control room but its just too sterile. I know it harkens back to the first room with all of it's 60's scifi cleanliness but I have really grown attached to the oddball style of 9/10/11 with real world objects embedded in the console. I too hope that over time it gains some character to offset the sterility.

Well, the TARDIS made the coffee, so the Old Girl shouldn't complain.

Knowing her, she likely put the coffee machine on the console KNOWING the Doctor would show off and Donna is clumsy with coffee as an excuse to get them back together for another adventure! Although we still have the possibility that someone else is messing with the Doctor and Donna's destinies... and not Dalek Caan this time ;)

I would have preferred that Donna spill the coffee on the console to no ill effect and the Doctor hit a lone button meant to home in on Wilf, causing the calamity. Just that bit of subverting expectations would have gone a long way and it _is_ a new console. Surely he hasn't figured out the control mapping just yet.

Not visually, but it's almost certain he's the "boss" that the Meep threatened to tell about the Doctor's presence.

The Toymaker is/lives in a self contained mini universe, outside n-space, where he/it controls reality.

The coffee was a plot gimmick to screw with the navigation, so that they flew outside of known time/space.

The Meep is in this universe.

It's unlikely the two things are connected because they are in different universes... Or the Tardis needed Donna to spill her Coffee onto the Console, to chase down the Meep's master.

After last night, I'm leaning towards doing so as well - it seems my volume issues were with the live broadcast over Sky+ HD. The sound is perfect at my usual volume on iPlayer...
I also watched on sky and found the sound to be terrible. Planning to rewatch on iplayer too.

Thanks to ranting in the Brit o’ clock thread I wasn’t surprised by the twist, but also because Disney pulled it off so many times it’s hardly a surprise anymore

Back