The sad anniversary

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Mach5, May 12, 2010.

1. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

:wtf: Uh, nobody was attacking ... the Kretassans just wanted an apology after Porthos peed on a valued tree.

2. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

True.

I think that's poetic justice, almost, for the ENT haters.

3. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

I think "Twilight" is one of the very best episodes of Enterprise. You started your viewing the right way. :techman:

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really liked that scene, too. I actually enjoyed all of the scenes with Riker as Chef talking with the different crewmembers. I got a good laugh out of the part where Reed's speaking wistfully about Trip, then suddenly Riker asks "Did you ever find yourself attracted to him?" and it turns out he was saying that to Hoshi. :lol:

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oops, sorry. I got mixed up: I was thinking of the episode where the ship's being attacked and all Archer cares about is discovering Malcolm's favourite food in time for his birthday (please tell me that one happened?).

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was the ep I stopped watching ENT at. It was just too damn boring. My boredom was enhanced however by it being aired here at 11pm or later, often not at the time advertised, with tons of sex phone line commercials and always bumped in favor of sports. It was hard to watch it and the search for Malcolm's favorite food for his birthday wasn't doing it any favors.

BUT I WAS WRONG OH SO SO SO SO WRONG.

I eventually d/l'ed it all (don't panic watchers-over-us, I have purchased it on dvd now) and watched it at my leisure. I almost cried at how good some of it was.. I felt so privileged to be watching NEW TREK after a 30 year fandom and so bad that I had once actually dissed it. I loved it.

And even that episode I'm perfectly okay about now. I don't even find it boring. Tame, mild, meh-ish but certainly no travesty. As I recall there were a few good Phlox scenes? And having become a Reed fan later on in the series, especially after that
    Section 31 element
    I now find the scenes with his very weird and distanced parents to be quite cool. Lovely bit of background and all that.

7. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked Enterprise, especially the last season:bolian:
    But the final episode...sigh..was bad:scream:
    The Enterprise would have deserved an ending like "All Good Things" was.. an epic and character driven adventure:cool:
    But they didint even get a two partner:rolleyes:
    While I was happy to see Riker and Troi, I think they could have been used sort of an book ends for the story.
    Like this way:):
    Aboard the USS Enterprise or USS Titan, Riker and Troi are welcoming their new senior officer Commander Anna Archer on board. The conversation turns to the fact, that Anna is related to the famous Captain Jonathan Archer.
    Anna then starts to tell are story of the "last mission" of the crew of NX-01, that helped to finalize the birth of the Federation..
    (then we see the actual Enterprise story, an hour and half adventure)
    The episode ends with Riker, Troi and Anna wathcing the speech Archer gave in the ceremonies.

8. teacake

This is sweet except for the Riker and Troi part :rommie:

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Twilight is the episode that keeps the moronic Xindi season from being a COMPLETE waste of time.

10. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Personally, I thought the Xindi arc was outstanding, and "Twilight" was part of that great ride. Season 3 is my favorite.

YMMV, of course.

11. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

What I liked about Silent Enemy was the very alien aliens (no forehead-of-the-week that day!) and Archer's decision to return home to finish installing the weapons. I only wish they had actually done it, so we could have spent some time back on Earth and get to see some family time, shore leave activities... etc.)

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

And I personally prefer season 4. The Xindi arc would have been fine, if the writers had tied it in with the Romulan drone ships, and had it served as a Romulan distraction as a prelude to the war. Instead the Xindi season was just something the writers pulled out of their ass.

The upside though, is that my idea is still something the novel writers could do.

Another way to go would be to have the Xindi arc be a part of VOYAGER. I still believe that making the stakes the destruction of Earth in the prequel was a mistake. On the other hand, the Xindi being natives of the Delta Quadrant, and the crew of Voyager coming upon them and discovering that the sphere builders were going to have them attack Earth, but the crew, stranded so far from home, with no way to warn Earth of the coming attack, could have added to the shows' tension. They would have worked to stop the Xindi, while at the same time, having no way of knowing if Earth was attacked or not.

This would have been better, I think.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Enterprise Novels

Agreed. The Xindi were great - far more interesting than an ongoing Romulan conflict (particularly one abiding all the "no visual communication" silliness) would have been, IMO.

14. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

Re: Enterprise Novels

I did like most (but not all) of the Xindi arch. I thought some of those epidodes contained the best Trek ever; or the best Sci-Fi ever for that matter. However, I still wanted to see the Romulan war unfold. If written correctly and if fans allowed for creative license and not be slaves to 1960's canon, it could have been an awesome story.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  15. teacake

I loved the Xindi arc but I think Season 4 was very strong and should have given TPTB reason to continue the show for another season.. it was not fizzling out but really getting into its stride. ENT did a loooong story arc very well and also was able to give us shorter arcs while still developing characters. The Augments, Vulcan's Forge, Nazis TCW, ANDORIAN arc!!, MU double, Terra Prime.. fantastic and diverse.