The phrase “Into Darkness”.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except those ideals everyone keeps talking about are usually from TNG not TOS.

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

But did Khan know that? As the film plays out, Khan gloats at the image of the Enterprise trying to flee and constantly saying that it won't get away. After finishing his Moby Dick line, he seems to succumb to death before the Enterprise warps out. If he died confident in knowing that Kirk was going to die, I'd say he got what he wanted.

Given the nature that Star Trek Into Darkness ended on the exact same note as Trek09, setting up the crew of the Enterprise for it's mission to explore outer space only to back track before the next film's title reveal? The promise of going on a five year mission is about as fake as the last one. There's really nothing stopping Roberto Orci from doing another movie where the crew spends most of their time on Earth and features a bad guy who again wants to attack it out of vengeance.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think there is a better setup than many give it credit for, but that will all depend on what focus they want to take. Personally, I see the potential to start an escalating conflict with the Klingons, pushing closer to the brink of war until there is a mutual cease fire.

But, there could also be more fallout from Section 31, or even an outside alien power attacking Earth.

I'm still optimistic :)

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Despite my posts, so am I. Having Star Trek focus a lot of it's attention on Earth largely fell on Damon Lindelof's shoulders. He defended this strategy because he felt that not having Earth be the smashing ground for Star Trek like New York is for Spiderman would seriously hinder the film's relatability to it's audience.

But now two things have happened. First, Damon Lindelof is no longer involved with the series. Thank god. Two, Guardians of the Galaxy, a science fiction action movie, took the exact opposite approach that Into Darkness did by featuring Earth during it's pre-title sequence and never using it again throughout the whole duration of the movie. Based on Guardians' success, I think movie audiences can handle a science fiction story that doesn't have Earth as a fall back setting.

5. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Given the setup of the ID ending, sending Kirk and crew out Into the Darkness, having III bring ship and crew back to Earth seems like a non-sequitur. I agree with you, Jeyl, and will add that a good story can play out anywhere in the galaxy.

Personally, I'd like to see events of III influenced by STID such as Klingon hostility or Kirk musing on how easily he was played, but I do NOT want to see STID part B. I want a new story, not just a continuation.

6. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

What are the chances that they'll recycle another TOS villain in the next movie?

7. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Pretty good, I think. Maybe not a named villain, but at least a representative from a familiar race/species.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. I would like a new story as well, but also want any consequences to be acknowledged in the next movie. Beyond that, I'm fine without it continuing off of ID and moving in to its own film, if that makes sense.

I'm glad that Lindelof is off of the project, simply because his ideas did not always seem to pan out. Getting away from Earth is probably the best idea for this next film.