The phrase “Into Darkness”.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Aug 12, 2014.

1. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Heh....what if the second Trek movie were parenthesized like a pretentiously deep song title?

"Into Darkness (Star Trek)". :D

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Because the name Star Trek Nemesis was already taken.

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was StarFleet led by Marcus, not our heroes, which fell "Into Darkness". Our heroes helped bring the light... which is why they are heroes.

4. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that ever bothered the Russians or the Ukrainians. Both happily translate Nemesis and STID as "Star Trek Nemesis" and don't give a damn.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well said.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

"Star Trek Into Darkness" doesn't make any sense no matter how many times I repeat it.

I also noticed that one of the new Doctor Who promos was using the phrase "Into Darkness".

I made this post back in 2012...

7. fireproof78

Well, Wrath of Khan was originally supposed to be "Revenge of Khan" so there's that.

Also, Into Darkness makes sense to me. I'm not sure why it is so confusing. I mean, it shows the darker aspects of human nature, it shows Starfleet moving towards a darker path of war, rather than exploration, highlighted by Scotty's comment, "I thought we were explorers." It shows the breaking point of Spock, and his willingness to murder Khan after Kirk's death.

The theme of darkness and maturity is really what draws me to that film.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ You can no doubt find meaning if you think about it but it feels like you really have to twist it around in your head and force something out. It's not a clever title the way something like 'Star Trek Generations' is.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Star Trek: Generations never struck me as a clever title.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a title, Star Trek: The Next Generation wasn't exactly much to write home about in the first place, in terms of originality.

11. fireproof78

Which is funny because many have regarded Abrams Trek as rather mindless ;)

I think it flows rather well, but that's just me. You have to think about "Undiscovered Country" as well, and build off of what the film gives you. I don't think it is a meaningless title but one that requires thought and context.

12. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of mindless, how can you even have a star trek into darkness? It doesn't even make sense. If you trekked onto a star, you will die because of an excessive lack of darkness. Literally. The only episodes to live up to the "Star Trek" claim were Operation Annihilate and The Cogenitor. All the rest are spoofs.

Then again, Generations was a star's trek into darkness, so maybe the spoofs are not that bad after all..

13. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was a great title, one of the best actually. It's a darker chapter in regards to Starfleet... and Kirk's story is darker with Pike's death. I don't think you have to rack your brain to make the connection ;)

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not that I recall. Lucasfilm complained that "Vengeance of Khan" was too close to their already-promoted "Revenge of the Jedi", and so it became "Wrath of Khan" instead. And then someone pointed out to George Lucas that he'd already stated that revenge was not the way of the Jedi.

ST II was also "The Undiscovered Country" for a time, and seemingly misquoted as "The Uncharted Continent" in an early "Starlog" news bit.

The UK vehicles for ST II (Enterprise and Klingon ships) were released with "Vengeance of Khan" on the header cards.

15. fireproof78

Yeah, reading Nick Meyers opinion on the whole matter is rather entertaining. Thank you for the correction :)

I had not read up on them recently, but I had switch the words "Revenge" and "Vengeance."

16. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

"Vengeance of Khan" would have been an ironic title since he never truly got his vengeance, he was blown to pieces before he could get it.

17. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Star Trek II: The Monologue of Khan

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Would that be a Khanologue? ;)

19. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's an OK title, although avoiding a colon feels slightly change-for-its-own-sake, but I didn't think the film lived up to it (yeah Insurrection was overstated too) with Kirk tempted to do some (authorized) malevolent things for a few minutes and then Spock trying to do them at the end and then not apparently having any regrets.

But actually only a small section of Starfleet, albeit believing that it could manipulate the rest.

20. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

I think the title has more merit than it appears in the first place.