THE ORVILLE Season Two...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Jul 22, 2018.

1. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Based from the titles, here are my guesses for the plots for each remaining episodes. 'Blood of Patriots' is more or less confirmed from this week's promo trailer:

'Blood of Patriots' = The Union and The Krill tries to form an alliance in light of 'Identity' events. Looks like it doesn't go well.

'Lasting Impressions' = Another light-hearted, interpersonal episode. Is Ed having another go to woo Kelly? Is Claire getting a new partner? Perhaps Bortus and Klyden finally reconciles?

'Sanctuary' = Either Teleya or Locar manages to escape from their home planet and seeks asylum at the Orville, triggering another diplomatic crisis with either the Krill or the Moclans.

'Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow' = A 'groundhog day in space' episode, like TNG's 'Cause and Effect.'

'Road Not Taken' (season's finale) = Orville's take on 'Yesterday's Enterprise.' Also the likeliest show where

Halston Sage/Alara is going to make a guest appearance, per JP/Egostatic Funtime info. If this indeed is about the Orville in an alternate timeline, she's probably going to play the AU Alara in this episode

Another speculation: One of these episodes is directed by Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis is also supposed to guest star in it. Care to guess which one is it going to be ;);) ??

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

"Can I ask why we have to dress like dorks?"

"It's a science fiction show."

"Could I at least have a jacket with lots of zippers?"

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  3. Serveaux

This is unintelligible.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Lasting Impressions press release

5. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Thanks!! I guess
    the episode will be a 'Gossip Girl' reunion involving Talla and the guest character ;);)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

"Leighton Meester ("Gossip Girl") Guest-Stars"

Yay! *pours one out for Making History*

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Bad choice of words there.

OCD Geek and Teelie like this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Depends on how long before the ship's cleaning cycle they were drawn.

9. The Wormhole

BTW, this needs to be updated. Both IMDB and Wikipedia show Lasting Impressions will air on March 21 (meaning everything after it will be knocked back a week) and my cable service is showing Orville won't be on March 14.

Curiously, this will mean the finale will now be on April 11, one week before Disco's (currently planned for April 18). Looks like those shows are staying neck and neck for most of their second seasons.

Serveaux likes this.
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I hope the show gets a third season. It is the Star Trek reboot that I've wanted for a really, really long time.

OCD Geek, PhotoBoy, Teelie and 4 others like this.
  11. Serveaux

It's kind of the show I wanted in 1987.;)

12. BillJ

I was sixteen in 1987, the only thing that I knew I wanted without a doubt was to touch a girl's boob. :guffaw:

13. The Wormhole

I like to call The Orville the Star Trek series I've waited my whole life for. And it's true, this show is doing things I've wished Star Trek would do since I was still a child.

14. Serveaux

I used to object that the show is more clearly inspired by TOS than by TNG. Fact is, though, that the look and fictional tech of it borrows heavily from Berman-era Trek and very little from TOS.

The scope of narrative is very much more TOS than anything that followed, however - they like to tell big, sweeping stories in broad strokes, and they jam a lot of plot into an hour. Like much television of the 1950s and 1960s, scripts play like a treatment for a film - covering the story high points and major scenes as if abstracted from what would be a longer and probably more expensive movie if they went into detail.

A better way to describe it now, is that it seems to me very much what we might have gotten in ST:TNG if many of the folks in charge had really embraced the original source material - the Star Trek television series of the 1960s - and brought it up to date rather than being apparently embarrassed by and afraid of it while mimicking the tone and out-of-date formality of it. The producers, from Roddenberry on down, ran away from so much of what Trek was, as hard as they could.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    CaptainMurdock, GNDN18, BillJ and 3 others like this.
  15. BillJ

Just finished watching "Identity, Part 2". The Orville is easily my favorite show on TV. It just hits so many great notes and has this big heart that is missing in so much entertainment now.

CaptainMurdock and Serveaux like this.
  16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno. I'm getting a big DS9 vibe from this season that I didn't really get from the first season. Not so much tonally, but the focus on character growth which spans across episodes, actions having consequences, and the dual focus on interpersonal relationships and (now) plotlines of epic proportions.

OCD Geek and Teelie like this.
  17. Serveaux

Or, most hour-longs since around 1990.

18. The Wormhole

No, no. Clearly this originated with DS9, because as you know, television revolves around Star Trek.

CorporalCaptain and BillJ like this.
  19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  20. The Wormhole

[STAR TREK FAN MODE]But will it be canon?[/STAR TREK FAN MODE]

BillJ and Kai "the spy" like this.