THE ORVILLE S2, E7: "DEFLECTORS"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^He may have picked up Moclan cues that we Humans wouldn't notice, not to mention we didn't see every single second they were in the same room...

Not to mention Bortus may have told stories about him and Klyden may have found something amiss...

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Pheromones?

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Could have been a lot of things, including intuition based on things that Bortus might have inadvertently communicated over time. That happens. Or...Klyden might have been paranoid about whether his sexual-event-addicted mate was sneaking around with the ex-boyfriend who he put on such a show about being uninterested in and disdaining, and was spying for that reason.

I'm not the best judge, but I get the vibe that Lokar was much more of a hottie than Klyden. Maybe a little younger, too.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Locar was Bortus's ex, and Klyden seemed to have disapproved of him from the outset, more than merely out of jealously I thought. Klyden said that he knew what Locar was. Although Bortus didn't say he knew, he was evasive when Talla asked him if he had known about Locar, so that would suggest that he knew. Ergo, Klyden could have picked it up from things said and unsaid by Bortus himself, as well as the previous interaction Locar and Klyden had had.

5. Serveaux

BTW, Cassius PerfectHair (apologies to Mr. Pegg) was transferring to the Watson.

There are several possible derivations for the name, but in keeping with Union Fleet practice so far I'm going to guess Preston Watson, early Scottish aviator.

Markonian and CorporalCaptain like this.
  6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kind of nice to have a Finn lite episode actually.

I thought so too but I guess knowing how forbidden it was in the Moclan culture might have been a red flag to slow down. (maybe)

7. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Orville has really found its groove. This was a serious episode with a couple light hearted moments. The use of humor is so much better now. It does not feel out of place and forced like in the first couple of episodes of season 1. Now, the humor is much more organic but also is used more appropriately. The writers are not shoehorning humor in a serious episode but letting serious episodes be their own thing.

This episode also dealt with a serious issue with a strong way and used plot twists very effectively. I honestly did not see the plot twist coming. It was also a great episode for Talia. She is not Alara but she is becoming a great character in her own right. I was moved by the last scene where she is crying as she looks out the window as the oldies music is playing. The Orville sure knows how to do emotional character moments.

The Orville is a true spiritual successor to classic Star Trek (TOS and TNG). It is giving us a great mixture of fun action, deep scifi, first contact with different aliens, spatial anomalies and the serious social issue, just like TNG used to do.

8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder whether the series is directing us to show how Klyden doubts his gender, and what impact it might have on Bortus to be in a marriage with someone whose gender does not align with his partner's sexuality. Would Bortus stay married to Klyden if he decides he is naturally a woman?

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

The episode really did a good job of playing with the tropes too:
    1) We've never heard of Locar before and don't know his motives...is he (and possibly the Moclans in general) planning something nefarious?
    2) Locar is Bortus's ex...is this going to be an episode about them trying to work through their past?
    3) Locar has been murdered; now it's a Murder Mystery!(tm)
    4) What we saw wasn't what we thought we saw.

I have to admit, I didn't want to believe that Klyden would have murdered Locar, but it definitely seemed like it was a possibility.

10. Serveaux

By the time they found the scrambled image of the killer I was pretty sure it wouldn't be Klyden - it was too pat, we'd been set up too neatly.

It's interesting that Bortus advanced a little bit of historical explanation for the narrowness of Moclans. I think there are antecedents in our history for cultures that struggle to survive and maintain their cohesion becoming very rigid and rule-based. This usually has something to do, though, with keeping their members from being absorbed too easily into other societies.

The Moclans seem to be more than just the weaponeers of the Union, as evidenced by Locar's work on the deflectors. Their general military engineering prowess may be key to the Union Fleet's capabilities.

11. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Or James Watson.

12. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Actually, I thought it was his commanding officer from the Moclan ship that may have done it, not faked.

It would be very inappropriate for Ed to intervene considering his history with Kelly.

Thank God they didn't. I saw how DG handled it on "New Voyages". I argued with him that it never would have been on a canon series ONLY because it was a Mary-Sue episode. Too much time spent on the guest(s), Peter Kirk and the boyfriend.
    You wanna include a gay character, make it part of the characters background. Guest stars would not have had that much screen time allotted to them.

13. Serveaux

Maybe. But Watson is a biologist; MacFarlane has leaned toward aviators.

14. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally saw it. Wow, that was fantastic. Still might not be as good as last week, but The Orville has finally "grown up" and can have a plot which focuses on hard and ugly conflicts with no pat resolution by the end of the episode. Indeed, thematically this episode was basically tearing off a scab and leaving a giant bloody mess in its wake.

I can also see - finally - why they decided to hire Jessica Szohr. She did a great job here - particularly in the last third of the episode.

15. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I must have gone to the bathroom when this was pointed out.:shrug:

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate it when I miss a part of an episode or fail to notice the cues about something.

Serveaux likes this.
  17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

All I can say is, as good as the whole episode was, all I needed to see was the live-fire ship-to-ship battle exercise for it to earn my A+.

Plus, the giant talking sunflower was nightmare fuel... :shifty:

Locutus of Bored and DonIago like this.
  18. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I confess, I am not on the same page here.

I fully am onboard with them building to Bortis killing Klyden in a Moclan divorce and having to deal with the reprocussions.

Then again, I saw the likely punishment for Bortis' ex as death back on Moclan. Klyden also tried to kill Bortis for not being attentive enough.

He is a terrible person.

Admiral2 likes this.
  19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

This was quite a good episode with some fascinating exploration of culture. Possibly my favourite of this season.

Some really good lines and interactions in this episode. Loved when Locar snapped after being asked twice about wanting a cupcake.

Admiral2 likes this.
  20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

According to Moclan custom and culture, he is a good person doing what is required. I agree that what he's done and what he advocates are horrible, but in his culture he's the one on the right side of the law.

Nakita Akita likes this.