THE ORVILLE S2, E3: "HOME"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Jan 7, 2019.

1. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

I was hoping Bob Picardo would be a somewhat-recurring character, but now w/ Alara jumping ship, I fear we won't see him anymore (or at least significantly less).

2. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping that the loss of Alara doesn't negatively impact the show. Seems odd that the actress would make a decision to leave the series after only a dozen episodes. Even if she did break up with Seth, can't they just be professionals and get over it?

Deledrius likes this.
  3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The point wasn't the odd look, the point was that it happened and that it may foreshadow a future storyline for Gordon.

4. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently, it is actual policy of the TV network that any romantic relationship between cast members is strictly forbidden so if it happens, the character must be written off the show.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  5. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Citation please or I have to argue that is bollocks.......

6. KennyB

My understanding in a nutshell.....she had an chance to be the lead in a Netflix drama that could further her career. Seth, being a nice guy and her bf at the time was supportive even though it would require her to miss several episodes of The Orville, but the door is left open for a return. At some point they broke up and she started dating Charlie Puth in September.....

Now if her career takes off, I say she's gone for good. If career stalls or you hear her and Seth have been spotted together again, then a return could happen. It did feel pretty final though, it was handled well I thought. A lot can happen before cameras roll on season 3.

picardjean-luc likes this.
  7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There's definitely an opening for her to return as a guest if not a regular.

Deledrius, KennyB and picardjean-luc like this.
  8. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

I guess we'll find out in two weeks' time ---
    as the first contact episode where Talla is first featured as Security Chief is scheduled in two weekss

But my theory is that they have problems with whoever is the Security Chief of the Week (Lt Tharl or whoever's in that position next week), they're incompetent and didn't have the same problem-solving skills like Alara did (esp. when it comes to heavy-lifting stuffs) so finally Ed decided to find another Xelayan to fill the shoes.

Since the new security chief is also a Xelayan female, I assume Mercer has so much affinity with Alara that he requests a new replacement identical to her. Whether the fans will quickly warm up to her or will start making comparisons bw her to the person she replaces remains to be seen...

Definitely. Alara wasn't given the Tasha Yar exit. We know where she is spending her time know so I guess whenever Halston wants to return to the show, the door is open for her....

Deledrius likes this.
  9. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

You made that up. Unless you can prove otherwise.

10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Complete and utterly unsubstantiated bullshit.

Deledrius and KennyB like this.
  11. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The rule is mentioned on the IMDB page for the episode. Maybe IMDB is wrong but that's where it comes from. I did not just make it up on my own.

Amaris likes this.
  12. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Must be wrong then, or we wouldn’t have had 6 awesome seasons of The Americans

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    1001001 likes this.
  13. KennyB

As pointed out up the thread, like Wikipedia, just about anyone can add things to IMDb.......so take it all with a huge grain of salt.

Edit: I just submitted a deletion request for this. The "trivia" even stated it was rumor.........smh

14. soapp

soapp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For a moment there I was thinking this Episode was going to turn into the movie; Funny Games.
    When a solution for her gravity was found, I had this idea in my mind she's wear these pieces of Armor to make her daily life heavier. She'd look more warriror like, guess the simulation solution is a better one to keep the aesthetic and converse character style.

I definitely see opportunities to revisit her character. She could get a job as a local law enforcement officer on her planet. - All that would be needed is to visit the planet or if an investigation sends her off world.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oh, you found it on IMDB? Well, case closed then.

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

As several people have mentioned, IMDB doesn't really fact check their stuff because most of it is user submitted. It's best to take it with a grain of salt at all times. :)
    Still, it's a common enough mistake because you'd think "Internet Movie Database" with all of its official looking branding, and premium/pro subscriptions wouldn't be so prone to error, but yeah, it's a lot more like Wikipedia than, say, Variety.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

She left because she's filming a movie. A person can't be in two places at once you know.
    As I mentioned when this was brought up in another thread, if there were such a rule, then why are both Adrianne Palicki and Scott Grimes both still on the show when they are in fact dating each other?

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pfft. says you.

*continues work on clone ray*

Aw. ♥
    My heart melts a little every time Adrianne Palicki shows up on screen.

EmoBorg, Ar-Pharazon and The Wormhole like this.
  19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That was very good episode, very sweet and well done. And I liked the visual with Alara on the riding animal on the beach. Yeah, it looked like the cover of a romance novel, but it was just a nice visual. I don't think Star Trek ever really managed to make an alien planet and world somehow feel so "real" and appealing.

But... Alara is gone. :( That's just... Sigh. I really hope to see her come back somewhere down the road but the "drama" of this episode and just her good byes all felt too final. (Though it probably did that as a just in case where she doesn't come back.)

Alara was my favorite character, beyond the obvious, I'm not sure why but Halston Sage just really seemed to bring the character to life with her acting. It just somehow really, really worked. I don't see that easily being replaced with the eventual Xelayan female replacement.

Good episode. Well done. Goodbye Alara. :(

Deledrius likes this.
  20. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Her acting was superb in this episode.

Deledrius likes this.