Spoilers The Orville: New Horizons Season 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

They literally went to new horizons in this episode.

2. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I thought they would stay on the other side of Krill space, on their version of a 5ym/ Voyager, and hence the new name....

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Seth said the New Horizons tagline was somethings the execs suggested to make the show sound fresh and new

4. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I was gonna say 2001 Enterprise level CGI

Deledrius and jackoverfull like this.
  5. Bgt

Bgt Commander Red Shirt

Before the admiral was completely transformed, I really expected his final new shape to be a homage to this infamous Voyager episode with the... "lizards".
    So we got to know Orville's Borgs. Not bad, not bad.
    Seth's girlfriend still can't act to save her life.

6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The episode was a failure to me because of poor direction. Horror-type episodes of TV live and die by the direction, and this just felt like...a generic episode of Berman Trek. Static cameras, boringly composed shots, etc.

Pacing was weird as well. We were nearly halfway through the episode before anything really started happening.

7. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, going into Krill space might qualify.

8. Mr. Adventure

I was giving the fight scenes some slack chalking up some of the dodginess in trying to show Talla's strength. Oddly the most distracting FX for me was the door opening on the evil space station.

9. Vince A

Vince A Lieutenant Red Shirt

Which character is his gf? I thought Alara was his gf/ex-gf.

10. Mr. Adventure

Wait he's dating the new one? He's taking this Roddenberry homage too far!

Orac, Commander Troi and Vince A like this.
  11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Given fuel to rumors that was the reason she was "let go" in the show.

I know that many meet their partner at work but if it's the company boss ( so to speak) you're in for a world of problems. I hope McFarlane isn't an ass and abuses his show power.

Vince A likes this.
  12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To quote Admiral Bill...

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

:lol:

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems like a rehash of TNG's "Genesis", and Enterprise's "Evolution" with a bit of a more specific horror twist.

Also, the relationship between Claire and the Admiral seemed rather horrible in that it started when she was a student and he was her professor, and they kept it secret because they both knew it would be bad if it got out; and afterwards Claire even admits all he wanted was a young cute and pretty bed warmer <--- a bit socially tone-deaf here on Braga's is part Imo.

Much in the same creepy way Geordi was written when the real Leah Brahms showed up on the Enterprise in TNG's Galaxy's child.:crazy:

So yeah when he finally turned up mutated into a horrible monster, all I could think of was:

Hey dude you got your Just Desserts...

The ending was at least interesting in that they gave the aliens a chance to leave peacefully, and once they realize the threat they were in if they didn't oh, they left; but yeah at least they were given an option.

I also have to say the initial Union negotiating tactic of giving the Krill full mining access to a planet in exchange for just allowing one union ship across their territory, felt like giving away the farm for little return; especially when they say they only might let other ships cross their territory for exploration purposes.

Also I have to wonder will the Orville remain in this section of unexplored space and continued their explorations in that area next week, or will they be back in Union space?

I will say at least the production staff knows who the best actor on the cast is and they keep giving her meaty storylines to play out. She is definitely the best actor in the cast.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  14. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Then why did she come back for the time altered episode(s)?

15. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

I suspect that scene was filmed before she left (she had no scenes with Talla, who stayed on ship).

16. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Yup…….but that’s there goal……

Bornin1980something likes this.
  17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Of course, it's not.

Frankly, if the sequel Trek show were their model they surpassed them two seasons ago.

Deledrius likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this one.
    It was nice to get to learn a bit more about Claire's history, although I do agree the relationship was a bit questionable.
    The stuff with the admiral and the transformed crew was pretty good. I was a little surprised they actually didn't find some last minute miracle cure, and let them leave the ship. I was a little surprised they didn't explain how they left the ship. Did they give them a shuttle or dock with their ship?

Commander Troi and Deledrius like this.
  19. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I watched the season premiere and I remembered nothing about Isaac's status post-"Identity, Part 2". So I'm going to go back and rewatch the back half of season two. It's probably be a week or so before I catch back up to season three.

So far I don't see many, if any, aftereffects of the last two episodes of season two and that whole time travel plot. Unless they are using it to explain any discontinuity between the new "reboot" and the first two years.

"Electric Sheep" hit a little too close to home for me, unfortunately. In a week or so it will be 10 years since a close friend of mine committed suicide. I broke down around the same time Claire did (during the holographic simulation). Dark, powerful episode. I'm kind of hoping the rest of the season lightens up.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Commander Troi and Deledrius like this.
  20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes exactly! I know a lot of ex-Berman Trek people work on this show behind the scenes, but it's a little concerning their CG reminded me of the Gorn in "In a Mirror, Darkly" when that was almost 20 years ago. I can't recall live action CG that bad in another modern show.

Turtletrekker, PiotrB and KennyB like this.